It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mall Of America: Remove Your "Jesus Saves" Shirt Or Leave The Mall

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: iwanttobelieve70
No you can’t. Can they say no blacks? No gays? This is clear discrimination of religion.

No it isn't. If you come into my front yard and start preaching, I have the right to ask you to leave. If you don't leave, I can call the Police and have you charged with trespassing. A Mall is no different. The law states that the Government can't discriminate and the Government only.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: Annee

You must live in a cesspit, I am married to a pagan and we lived in the bible belt for a decade and never had any issues even from friends that were fairly religious.

we had some folks ask some questions but were never pressured to change the way we do things, or to go to church nothing.

Lucky you.

I'm from Los Angeles.

Not sure what point you're trying to make,

Am I to assume you (or other) wore a t-shirt that boldly stated ATHEIST and you did not get noticed?

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I've had places refuse to wait on or serve me because I was wearing my flight jacket from when I was in the Navy. I said "I guess business is good enough that you don't need my money." left and never came back.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I come into a private establishment they tell me my look is not appropriate,
I'm totally the victim of cancel culture, because I'm wearing washed out Christian Dior

Sounds like a rebellious idiot to me.

Total rehash of the UK lady... Let the victim bandwagon come to town again

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

No you can’t. Can they say no blacks? No gays? This is clear discrimination of religion.

No it isn't. If you come into my front yard and start preaching, I have the right to ask you to leave. If you don't leave, I can call the Police and have you charged with trespassing. A Mall is no different. The law states that the Government can't discriminate and the Government only.

The government can’t support your need to discriminate. Your home is not publicly accessible. A mall even though it is privately owned is open to the public.

Is it your contention they can say no blacks allowed?

The Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 states that no business (public or private) serving the public can discriminate based on a customer's national origin, sex, religion, color or race. Quoted from google the propaganda wing of the United States government.
edit on 16-1-2023 by iwanttobelieve70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

I've had places refuse to wait on or serve me because I was wearing my flight jacket from when I was in the Navy. I said "I guess business is good enough that you don't need my money." left and never came back.

I've been denied entry a few times.

I think once because I was wearing sport shoes.

Their rules.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: iwanttobelieve70

The government can’t support you need to discriminate. Your home is not publicly accessible. A mall even though it is privately owned is open to the public. Is it your contention they can say no blacks allowed?

Telling black people they aren’t allowed and having a dress code is two totally different things.
They have their dress code published for all to read before visiting. If you don’t like it don’t shop there.

Many many places have dress codes, restaurants, theme parks, swimming pools. This is no different.

Also people are stretching the story to fit their narrative. This wasn’t just a religious shirt, this was a religious shirt that slandered others, as by the slash of their beliefs.

Here is the shirt if you want to see it.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The Mall did the right thing. This is a place to shop, not to spew your beliefs. They do it to keep everyone safe.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm obviously being a bit satirical about half-naked "Christian" shoppers above.

I also avoid malls like the plague these days (they give me panic attacks, and in SA security can't always stop robberies by violent gangs with automatic weapons).

The architecture is no longer Neo-classical kitsch and Art Deco a la 1980's, but all the railings, even the lifts and escalators are encased in glass, and the stairs like wooden planks.

Just pull me up four storeys with a rope and a bucket and you have been more considerate of my fear of heights!

Anyway, more relatedly here's a report of going to the mall and facing discrimination due to wearing traditional African attire:

edition.cnn.com...#:~:text=Thando%20Mahlangu%20was%20asked%20to%2 0leave%20a%20mall,a%20shopping%20mall%20in%20a%20suburb%20of%20Johannesburg.

edit on 16-1-2023 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You can put a sign up in your lawn and bar anyone from entering the mall can do the same but you can’t say anyone but Christians anyone but blacks anyone but old people anyone but those Italians.

This man was being bared because he was Christian. Good luck proving a shirt is a solicitation of anything and even if it was it was protected and your feelings don’t trump someone’s rights.

If they want to have a dress code saying only collared shirts tucked in with a belt long pants and closed toe shoes with no visible logos or writing then they are fine because they are not discriminating against a Christian wearing a religious shirt they are telling everyone they can’t come in unless they meet this code.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Dude don’t ever go to Mall of America. That place is huge with a nightmarish amusement park in it. Sooooo many stores!
I stayed once at the attached hotel and that was kinda cool because there is a somewhat hidden entrance to the mall which was cool.

Also to add to your fear of heights, a little boy was pushed over the edge at that mall, luckily he did survive!

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:13 PM
link   

This man was being bared because he was Christian. Good luck proving a shirt is a solicitation of anything and even if it was it was protected and your feelings don’t trump someone’s rights.

Wrong, read the story. He was barred NOT because he had a Christian T shirt but because he T shirt slashed out the other beliefs.
If he just had a tshirt that said God Rocks, he would have been fine.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

The government can’t support you need to discriminate. Your home is not publicly accessible. A mall even though it is privately owned is open to the public. Is it your contention they can say no blacks allowed?

Telling black people they aren’t allowed and having a dress code is two totally different things.
They have their dress code published for all to read before visiting. If you don’t like it don’t shop there.

Many many places have dress codes, restaurants, theme parks, swimming pools. This is no different.

Also people are stretching the story to fit their narrative. This wasn’t just a religious shirt, this was a religious shirt that slandered others, as by the slash of their beliefs.

Here is the shirt if you want to see it.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The Mall did the right thing. This is a place to shop, not to spew your beliefs. They do it to keep everyone safe.

You can’t by law say you can’t wear your religious stuff. You have to be smart enough to word it where you can’t get caught. This isn’t solicitation.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Well, the mall is modern. And modern clothes are available.

I'm sure this man could shop in his local village with no problem.

I don't think a Native American showing up in a loin cloth at a modern mall would be acceptable either.

Society does evolve.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I don't think a Native American showing up in a loin cloth at a modern mall would be acceptable either.

Society does evolve.

I remember one Halloween evening we were at a mall and a guy dressed in a Roman gladiator costume was walking in the mall, mini skirt and shirtless with bulging muscles and he was allowed in, maybe because it was Halloween Day. Anyway, maybe that Jesus lovin guy should try it on Halloween Day and see what happens.
edit on q00000019131America/Chicago5757America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I find it interesting that in the "tolerant and accepting state of California" you can apparently be attacked for being an atheist. (or thats what it seems you are implying)

Yet when I lived in the "racist and intolerant backwards bible belt", being a catholic (not practicing) married to a pagan, by a wiccan priestess barely rates a few questions and certainly no hostility.

I find life experiences like that interesting.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

Society does evolve.

I remember one Halloween evening we were at a mall and a guy dressed in a Roman gladiator costume was walking in the mall, mini skirt and shirtless with bulging muscles and he was allowed in, maybe because it was Halloween Day. Anyway, maybe that Jesus lovin guy should try it on Halloween Day and see what happens.

I've actually seen that myself in malls on Halloween.

There's just more to this story than the front of his shirt. "Jesus Saves" by itself most likely would not be kicked out of a mall.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Wrong, read the story. He was barred NOT because he had a Christian T shirt but because he T shirt slashed out the other beliefs.
If he just had a tshirt that said God Rocks, he would have been fine.

Still not allowed by law.

So every religion is allowed except those that don’t include everyone.

That’s still wrong.

Look the basic bar knows how this is done. They bar people all the time based on a dress code that I outlined that will discriminate against a lot of people that they don’t want.

You are opening your business up to a but load of lawsuits and fines if your rules say anything about baring anyone based on anything in this law. Black Lives Matter. What would be their policy if he walks with a white lives matter? People will be offended and that was the basis. What if Black Lives Matter offends? A lawyer will turn this 10 ways from Sunday and they will be advised to settle then if they really want this they will institute a dress code like I outlined and you will be greeted at the door. There might even be a membership required.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

Society does evolve.

I've actually seen that myself in malls on Halloween.

There's just more to this story than the front of his shirt. "Jesus Saves" by itself most likely would not be kicked out of a mall.

You are absolutely right.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I find it interesting that in the "tolerant and accepting state of California" you can apparently be attacked for being an atheist. (or thats what it seems you are implying)

Yet when I lived in the "racist and intolerant backwards bible belt", being a catholic (not practicing) married to a pagan, by a wiccan priestess barely rates a few questions and certainly no hostility.

I find life experiences like that interesting.

I never used the word attacked. That is your sentiment.

Pagans can still be saved.

But atheists are anti-God devil worshipers. Didn't you know?

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:35 PM
link   

No it's not. The back of the shirt was the problem, which has 7 other religions crossed out. Basically saying, no jews, no Muslims, etc... The Jesus saves part has NOTHING to do with this.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join