It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mall Of America: Remove Your "Jesus Saves" Shirt Or Leave The Mall

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: Brassmonkey

a reply to: Brassmonkey

I'm not so sure about that, because the mall security guards mentioned that he was determined to be soliciting and that is a tricky subject within the law.

Yea I am not talking about Michigan. In California if you wear a religious t shirt in a mall the California State Supreme Court has determined in 1979 you are exercising your 1st amendment rights of freedom of religion. Soliciting is when someone comes to your door to try to sell you something.

Jesus IS FREE bro so how is that soliciting? And it’s not advertising or soliciting.

Look up soliciting from legal sources, there are all kinds and ways to get it done.

Do you agree that all other types of religious attire be removed i.e Hijabs and Yakima’s if people are offended on mall property? Isn’t wearing a Yamika and Hijab solicitating as well per your legal definition?
edit on 16-1-2023 by Brassmonkey because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

He also taught He was the only way.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Just wondering, so if you take the shirt off you can go shopping shirtless?

There's all the radical Christians shopping half-naked.

Gee, and I thought when the Rapture happens the clothes are going to stay behind, and the believers sucked up to heaven, but ostensibly it was the other way round.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Annee

a reply to: Annee

I would consider the back of his shirt a religious slur to non-Christian beliefs.

Would a ‘Black is beautiful’ T-shirt be a racial slur against every other race?

WHOA!!!

You might break with that stretch.

So a ‘Jesus Saves’ shirt is a slur against every other religion, but a shirt promoting one race isn’t a slur?
Might want to check what is stretching.

I suppose it is when the shirt lists those religions and then crosses them out and substitutes "Jesus" for all of them.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:22 PM
link   

a reply to: Brassmonkey

I'm not so sure about that, because the mall security guards mentioned that he was determined to be soliciting and that is a tricky subject within the law.

Yea I am not talking about Michigan. In California if you wear a religious t shirt in a mall the California State Supreme Court has determined in 1979 you are exercising your 1st amendment rights of freedom of religion. Soliciting is when someone comes to your door to try to sell you something.

Jesus IS FREE bro so how is that soliciting? And it’s not advertising or soliciting.

Look up soliciting from legal sources, there are all kinds and ways to get it done.

Do you agree that all other types of religious attire be removed i.e Hijabs and Yakima’s if people are offended on mall property? Isn’t wearing a Yamika and Hijab solicitating as well per your legal definition?

As I stated previously within the solicitation law it is a tricky business, better to ask a lawyer.
edit on q00000022131America/Chicago3030America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Only true Facists and Authoritarians want to suppress others free speech.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

In the clip you can see that the man has a long-sleeved shirt on under the short-sleeved shirt in question.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: quintessentone

He also taught He was the only way.

I know, interpretation of the Bible is precarious because even theologists argue how to interpret passages. But if we interpret passages to the right situation or within a specific context then it makes more sense. But how many religious followers actually try to understand the written word?

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   
What's on the shirt or the story behind it doesn't matter. The guy is on private property. He has no right to be there, but, the owners or their representatives have the right to tell him to leave. If he doesn't leave then it is trespassing and a criminal act. The message that he is trying to get across is irrelevant.

On the other hand, if your skin is thin enough that you feel a need to complain about what is on somebody's shirt, maybe you need to rethink things.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: Athetos
So there is no free speech or freedom of religion anymore in America.

It has nothing to do with "freedom of speech or religion". A Mall is private property. Anyone can be asked to leave at any time over anything.

I do have one question. Is this the official policy of the Company that owns the Mall of America or is it an employee pushing their views while claiming to have the authority of the Company? There's a big difference. 90% of the time, things like this are an employee pushing their views, while people blame it on the Company.

No you can’t. Can they say no blacks? No gays? This is clear discrimination of religion.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

I wouldn't have known what that was. Now that I know I wouldn't have cared then nor now.

meh

I only said try an experiment.

Wear it out in public and see if anyone complains.

You can wear one that states Atheist.

How free is free speech?

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
So there is no free speech or freedom of religion anymore in America.

It has nothing to do with "freedom of speech or religion". A Mall is private property. Anyone can be asked to leave at any time over anything.

I do have one question. Is this the official policy of the Company that owns the Mall of America or is it an employee pushing their views while claiming to have the authority of the Company? There's a big difference. 90% of the time, things like this are an employee pushing their views, while people blame it on the Company.

Yes it is posted on their website:
Here

Appropriate attire, including shirts and shoes, must be worn. Inappropriate attire may include, but is not limited to: Apparel that has obscene language, obscene gestures or racial/religious/ethnic slurs that are likely to create a disturbance Clothing that deliberately obscures the face, such as hooded tops or masks Bulletproof vests or simulated bulletproof vests

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Sooooooooooooo

Are Y’all saying the Baker should have been FORCED to bake the Gay Wedding Cake?

Sure sounds like it!!!

Remember can’t have it both ways…. Private business is Private Business!!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:41 PM
link   

You must live in a cesspit, I am married to a pagan and we lived in the bible belt for a decade and never had any issues even from friends that were fairly religious.

we had some folks ask some questions but were never pressured to change the way we do things, or to go to church nothing.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:42 PM
link   
You idiots. Nobody can discriminate anywhere on the basis of race, religion, national origin or sex.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So.....what happens if I put on a shirt OVER my Jesus Saves Tshirt, can I enter the mall?

End of sarcasm.....

a reply to: infolurker

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   

What's on the shirt or the story behind it doesn't matter. The guy is on private property. He has no right to be there, but, the owners or their representatives have the right to tell him to leave. If he doesn't leave then it is trespassing and a criminal act. The message that he is trying to get across is irrelevant.

On the other hand, if your skin is thin enough that you feel a need to complain about what is on somebody's shirt, maybe you need to rethink things.

People are very hypocritical when it comes to this and think it’s their “right”.

Wrong. And here’s a hint, don’t like those rules, DON’T shop there.
If enough people agree it will be put out of business.

These types of “rules” are in a lot more places than you realize. Amusement parks, etc.
I’ve seen it myself at a waterpark.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

originally posted by: Annee

I would consider the back of his shirt a religious slur to non-Christian beliefs.

Would a ‘Black is beautiful’ T-shirt be a racial slur against every other race?

WHOA!!!

You might break with that stretch.

So a ‘Jesus Saves’ shirt is a slur against every other religion, but a shirt promoting one race isn’t a slur?
Might want to check what is stretching.

I suppose it is when the shirt lists those religions and then crosses them out and substitutes "Jesus" for all of them.

I guess I missed the part of the story where that was the case. I just thought his shirt stated ‘Jesus Saves’.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:48 PM
link   
1. What is Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

Title VI is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin by recipients of Federal financial assistance. Police departments, sheriffs' departments, and other law enforcement agencies receiving assistance from the Department of Justice (DOJ) are subject to the civil rights requirements of this and other civil rights laws.

Simply stated, all persons must be treated equally without regard to their race, color, or national origin. People may not be excluded from participating in, denied the benefits of, or discriminated against in the programs, services, or activities of an agency receiving DOJ assistance. In addition, a law enforcement agency must make sure that its policies and practices do not have the effect of discriminating against people because of their race, color, or national origin.

The mall better not have received one dime of assistance and by my reading no law enforcement would be able to enforce their desires to discriminate based on religion.
edit on 16-1-2023 by iwanttobelieve70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

That pretty much covers it then.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join