It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusdrak

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
CNN Just reported in interview with NOAA rep.

PROJECTED waves for Hawaii estimate to be anything from 1f to 7.5 ft in a series of waves that could last for hours.

1ft to 7ft? That's a surfer's paradise, don't be surprised to see thousands of surfers flood the beaches then

so why all the evacuation for then ..well I guess then it is people to be off the coast and beaches... then

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusdrak

CNN Just reported in interview with NOAA rep.

PROJECTED waves for Hawaii estimate to be anything from 1f to 7.5 ft in a series of waves that could last for hours.

1ft to 7ft? That's a surfer's paradise, don't be surprised to see thousands of surfers flood the beaches then

You do understand this is not like a normal ground swell. Anyone one who traveled out in something this unpredictable is a moron with a death wish. People affected by this are in my thoughts. I wish them my best.....

On another note S&F to all the members I can who assisted with breaking this on ATS before the main stream media even caught on. You late nighters (if thats even an word) know who you are!!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

reply to post by rufusdrak

Ahhh come on!!

you should know it's not just the hight of the waves, but the force of water behind them.

look at all the vidoes on you tube of the 2004. the water in the main in those comes in a knee tro waist height!

true,., and forcy waves one after another.. are just horrible..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
OK people, or wanna be surfers.

Imagine millions of gallons of water say 4 ft above normal level moving inland. Would you want to stand in front or it??

this is NOT just a "wave", this is a tidal movement of water!!!

tAs i mentioned spome of the vidoes of 2004, show water comeing ashore at knee hieght and STILL wasting everything in its path.

Tell you what. go outside in the yard and get your friends to throw a gallon bucket of water at you. And see if you move!!! then times that be several million!

[edit on 27/202/1010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
This link is working at this moment.....

www.livesurfcamhawaii.com...

Respects

This is the east side of the island. We need the south and west side. That is the one I can't get to come up.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kolta

They are doing the evacuation as a precaution, for the most part. Even though they don't expect a series of huge waves, tsunamis are weird things and it's not possible to predict exactly how they'll behave. So, it's better safe than sorry. Also, even if they only come in at (say) up to 7 ft, that's 7 ft on top of the height of whatever would be normally coming in at that time. This can make them very dangerous, especially in bay areas for example.

I hope no-one is crazy enough to try surfing them. They could wind up being washed through the windows of shoreline buildings, just as people were killed when they were washed into buildings in the 2004 event and then drowned in the tangled mess inside.

Edit to add: @Kolta: just saw your follow-up post. (I was writing my post at this moment.) Agree with you. These waves don't need to be physically huge to be deadly. As JakiusFogg said, these are not just normal waves and the forces behind them are enormous.

(end of edit.)

Just repeating a query I made earlier but can't recall a reply: does anyone have links to reliable data on what the expected tides will be when the tsunami arrives in various locations?

Thanks,

Mike

[edit on 27/2/10 by JustMike]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
A Tsunami isn't one crest of wave, but rather a displacement of water that's been uplifted, so in effect rather than a simple beach wave that crashes onshore and rolls back to sea, a Tsunami will continually keep on rising in height until reaching its maximum but the same body of water will keep moving through until all the wave has passed. Only then does it retreat back out to sea, this mass of water is often hundreds of miles in length so can often take more than 20 minutes to move through.

Its a 2 meter "tide", using the term loosely, passing through a region that never retreats in depth or size, yet keeps on moving inshore as the Tsunami is always pushing inland carrying the sea with it. As it picks up debris this amplifies its destructive effects, 5 inches of moving water can sweep a person off their feet, imagine what 2.5 meters will do.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by aero56

I dont know the geography of the area...what about this one, again its online.

www.livesurfcamhawaii.com...

Respects

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

thanks, btw those high winds can affect the wave impact as well?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Try this Mike

www.tides.info...

I am just having a look at it myself

Says:

Kawaihae, Hawaii Island, Hawaii (sub)
Tides for Kawaihae, Hawaii Island, Hawaii (sub):
Saturday 02/27/10 9:51AM -0.01 feet Low Tide
Saturday 02/27/10 3:31PM 1.58 feet High Tide
Saturday 02/27/10 5:52PM Moonrise
Saturday 02/27/10 6:27PM Sunset
Saturday 02/27/10 9:27PM -0.27 feet Low Tide
Sunday 02/28/10 4:05AM 2.31 feet High Tide
Sunday 02/28/10 6:34AM Moonset
Sunday 02/28/10 6:38AM Full Moon
Sunday 02/28/10 6:43AM Sunrise
Sunday 02/28/10 10:22AM -0.11 feet Low Tide

Looks as if this is hitting at low tide assuming these to be UTC

[edit on 27/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Im watching south shore...cam lasts 30 seconds then you have to restart it...lots of boats are being taken out of port

Cams

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by kolta

Just repeating a query I made earlier but can't recall a reply: does anyone have links to reliable data on what the expected tides will be when the tsunami arrives in various locations?

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry the only information is coming out of the NOAA

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

The tides in Hawaii will be low, well below mean levels when the tsunami arrives.

It should be noted that the direction from which a tsunami arrives does not necessarily have any bearing on the area affected. The surge can wrap completely around an island.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kolta

High winds could add to the effect of a tsunami indirectly, because if the wind is blowing onshore then it pushes the sea level up higher than when the air is calm. A tsunami itself is an entirely separate force, and in terms of the way it is "focused" it is one of the most powerful moving forces of directed energy on the planet.

reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks for that. I hope those are UTC times and not local.

Hmmm... Doesn't the US Navy maintain an Observatory that keeps data on tides?

EDIT to add:
reply to post by Phage

Thank you, Phage. That is very reassuring. At least it takes Hawaii below the worst-case scenario in respect of the impact of its local tides.

Re the "wrap-around" effect: yes, this phenomenon is one that serves to emphasize the fact that tsunamis are not ordinary waves, and also adds to the difficulties of predicting their potential effects. As there is no such thing as a "typical" tsunami it's nigh on impossible for us to assess this event by comparison to any previous ones in other regions. Too many variables.

Regards,

Mike

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Obama is giving the stock disaster speech. Mercifully it was brief. That thing with the sky changing colors is scary! I'm gonna be glued to the tv and net today, migraine or not.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

read UTC as GMT time

So if something say 1700 UTC then it is 1200 EST 1100 CT etc etc.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Get Tsunami Facts

A little bit on Tsunami's.

I didn't know they could get so big, some as high as 64 meters have been recorded.

A tsunami can really move!

In the deep water of the ocean, the waves that are created have a large wavelength but are not usually bigger than one metre tall. A tsunami wave may be hundreds of kilometres in length and it moves at a high speed across great distances without losing much of its energy.
Ripples moving out in a circle from where a rock has been dropped in water Ripples moving out in a circle from where a rock has been dropped in water
Ripples moving out in a circle from where
a rock has been dropped in water

Tsunami waves move out from where a large body of water has been disturbed, similar to the way ripples move away from the place where a rock has been dropped into a pond.

In the open ocean, a tsunami can travel as fast as 950 kilometres per hour, which can be represented by the speed of a passenger jet. It loses speed as it approaches land, but it does not lose much of its energy. As it slows down, the height of the waves build.
How big is a tsunami?

As a tsunami wave approaches land and moves into more shallow water, it slows down and increases in size. When it reaches land, it may behave like a series of breaking waves or a large, powerful wave. The tremendous energy of the wave can cause great quantities of water to surge inland, far beyond where even the highest of high tides would commonly reach.

Some of the largest tsunami waves have been generated by the volcanic eruption of Krakatoa in 1883. This tsunami reached a height of 37 metres. In 1737, a tsunami was estimated to be 64 metres high as it struck Cape Lopatka in northeast Russia.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
www.hitsunami.com

Webcam info from Hawaii

EDIT: Link deleted to save badwidth for people in Hawaii!

[edit on 27/202/1010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
hitsunami.info...

live webcam that works, news feed and chat (as seen on CNN moments ago)

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
For all you folks looking at webcams of Hawaii, I have read a few comments made by the Islanders themselves to stop unless you are islanders because you are jamming up their servers.... They may need them...

Their words not mine...

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Yissachar1]

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join