It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Virole
- Catastrophic earthquakes are between 6-8.9
- 8.9 is the highest ever recorded quake. (Chile's was a 8.8)
- Anything over 9.0 would be catastrophic as well but would be record setting.

The highest ever was 9.5, ironically in Chile, 1960. There have been four quakes 9.0 or higher, the last being Sumatra, 2004.

This 8.8 would be tied for 5th.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I am a believer, the x files poster " I want to believe" I changed it to "I chose to Believe"
I mean what is happening right now around the world is just too damn serious,
I mean I don't mind if people bash me for my beliefs, but I believe in the entire conspiracy, everything happens, TOO CONVINIENTLY ALL THE TIME.. lets have a time table, and see what else will happen in a month ..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

What concerns me is the configuration of the sea floor in the Gulf of California.

I was just looking at it on GoogleEarth, and it seems like it will funnel the wave into a pretty big one on the upper end. I hope I'm wrong, but it sure looks like it will get pretty bad there.

It could also reverberate up there and weakening significantly tho "fluid dynamics", (isla Isabela islands) looks perfect to catch a nice wave plus palmilla near La Paz on the tip of the gulf, the seafloor is perfect there, sharp sea floor rises close to coastlines is key to big waves. if there are normally big surf around that coastline, its safe to say thos are the places to watch it Tsunami alerts, seafloor configerations are the soul reason for thos big surfs...

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
i googled "hawaii beach cams" its the 23rd most popular search right now and i cant seem to get on any of em... anyone find a webcam for hawaii beachfront to watch?

www.camhawaii.com...

Hilo

[edit on 27-2-2010 by BRITWARRIOR]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by poker player

they only let you watch for about 30 seconds...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

I have had some communication with people in Hawaii, seems they are telling tourist to go to upper levels of Hotels,

I don't think so!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is a new apartment building...(an expensive one)

www.3tv.cl...

those people lose all their stuff, because is forbidden to go there because of the danger of collapse

In general i think our buildings resisted very well, at the time are few casualties considering the magnitude of the quake.

in TALCA could be worse, because news are saying that a big wave got in some holiday location which eventually dissapeared.

In my personal experience, i remember the quake in 1985 as worse, but this one was very impressive visually, our car literally jumped on those 120 seconds....

Thank God, it was at night, because office buildings had cracked windows and several roads collapsed... i think that helped to have less casualties

Thats one of the reasons why i say there is a God....

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
CNN just reported that the wave is expected to be 16 feet in height. I wonder how they know.

link   
ok the Tsunami watch is intensifying.. does anybody knows have an idea of how intense this tsunami will be.. I mean would it be one wave or a couple of hits and which one is worst the actual one or the ones that come after

[edit on 27-2-2010 by kolta]

link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Saw a link to this webcam
on another thread... Thanks to Dutch_Girl

Regards

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
More pictures

www.boston.com...
n:twit:bigpic

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Here's a link to the local news in Honolulu, they are talking about the tsunami warning.
www.kitv.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
2004 Tsunami

Just to give some perspective, the Tsunnami in Indonesia on 2004 was around 10M / 33ft

if they are expecting 16ft, then it should not be as bad, but still not good at all!

[edit on 27/202/1010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

We have California shaking today and Chile. Those two seem to be the most active in the world, Alaska also. That whole side of the world.

I think in the days ahead California is going to have a huge earthquake. A 9 or 8 my predication.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
CNN on the live feed on tv put HOUSES disappear in Colombo, Chile...
is that because of tidal waves ?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
CNN says that the earliest estimated time of arrival for a tsunami wave to Hawaii is around 4:15am eastern time. It's now 12:46 ET so those people watching webcams I'm assuming we have another 3 hours to go before things get interesting.

link   
reply to post by Katie

Pray that it doesn't trigger the Juan De Fuca plate. That would be utter calamity.

link   

Originally posted by Katie
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I think in the days ahead California is going to have a huge earthquake. A 9 or 8 my predication.

I think unfortunately you might be right

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rufusdrak
CNN says that the earliest estimated time of arrival for a tsunami wave to Hawaii is around 4:15am eastern time. It's now 12:46 ET so those people watching webcams I'm assuming we have another 3 hours to go before things get interesting.

Woops I meant to say 4:19PM ET...i.e. in 3 and a half hours...stay tuned on those cams in 3 hours

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kolta
CNN on the live feed on tv put HOUSES disappear in Colombo, Chile...
is that because of tidal waves ?

Either that or they were abducted by ufos.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Sorry for not updating, I've been really busy, a 7.0 and an 8.8 in the same day, scary stuff, it does feel like the world is ending, three major wishes in 2 months, wow,

How about the U.S not help Israel and take that 3 billion to Chilie

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join