It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kolta
ok the Tsunami watch is intensifying.. does anybody knows have an idea of how intense this tsunami will be.. I mean would it be one wave or a couple of hits and which one is worst the actual one or the ones that come after

[edit on 27-2-2010 by kolta]

considering the powerfull aftershocks its going to be one big one should the pulses of each catch up to each other its a big enuff ocean, or its going to be follow up waves, witch of course if one is already in, the other is going over the top,

im no expert, but thats wot my knowledge on wave dynamics /fluid dynamics tells me... id say, find out how big the wave was in 1960 that hit due to the 9.5 chile quake, then do your own estimates the one that hit the chilean coast back then was around 85ft

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Katie

Or swallowed up by cracks in the ground. A quake that size can easily cause huge cracks that open and close, especially in the areas where fill has been used.

sp

[edit on 27/2/10 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Katie

Originally posted by kolta
CNN on the live feed on tv put HOUSES disappear in Colombo, Chile...
is that because of tidal waves ?

Either that or they were abducted by ufos.

I do believe in UFOS

btw I have one question, how do they know the hight of the tsunami that might hit Hawaii, how can they know for sure is that high

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by Katie

Or swallowed up by cracks in the ground. A quake that size can easily cause huge cracks that open and close, esecially in the areas where fill has been used.

oh man.. you know I remember when I was in my native country Colombia, and Armero disappear.. an entire town

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
So they are saying that it will not be one wave but many continuous waves heading in and out.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
they are taking it really serious in hawaii, closing all universities, people are lining up at shopping centers, grocery stores and gas stations...

www.ustream.tv...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Virole

Would you people please get your facts right before posting.

8.9 is the highest ever recorded quake. (Chile's was a 8.8)

Not so - READ the thread and you will find that there have been several over 9.0.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kolta

from wiki about the 1960 9.5richter chilean quake.

"The epicenter was near Cañete (see map) some 900 km (435 miles) south of Santiago, although Valdivia, Chile was the most affected city. It caused localised tsunamis that severely battered the Chilean coast, with waves up to 25 meters (82 ft). The main tsunami raced across the Pacific Ocean and devastated Hilo, Hawaii. Waves as high as 10.7 metres (35 ft) were recorded 10,000 kilometres (6,000 miles) from the epicenter, and as far away as Japan and the Philippines."

So there were waves 80+ feet high and even as far as Hawaii the waves were 35+ ft high

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rufusdrak
reply to post by kolta

from wiki about the 1960 9.5richter chilean quake.

"The epicenter was near Cañete (see map) some 900 km (435 miles) south of Santiago, although Valdivia, Chile was the most affected city. It caused localised tsunamis that severely battered the Chilean coast, with waves up to 25 meters (82 ft). The main tsunami raced across the Pacific Ocean and devastated Hilo, Hawaii. Waves as high as 10.7 metres (35 ft) were recorded 10,000 kilometres (6,000 miles) from the epicenter, and as far away as Japan and the Philippines."

So there were waves 80+ feet high and even as far as Hawaii the waves were 35+ ft high

dag
thanks for the info, I guess is statistics here how these events are measured

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Are people in Hawaii complete stupid?, surrounded by mountains with a Tsunami on the way, and the first thing they can think of is to go shopping in town next to the seafront with 3 hours until a possible 2 meter Tsunami surge rolls in. It just beggars belief.

link   
Ladies and gentleman, I think this may be the beginning of the end of the world. There will be other major natural disasters within a couple of more weeks.As for Chile they have a huge mess on their hands.

link   
The Sumatra (2004 Indonesia) quake is the 2nd highest ever recorded it was 9.1 to 9.2 on the richter scale and caused waves close to 100ft high in some areas.

The 1960 Chilean quake was 9.5 on the richter and caused waves 82ft high and waves 32ft+ high as far as 6000 miles, Hawaii etc...

judging by the correlation of these magnitudes and their related tsunami sizes, if the current quake is 8.8 then I would imagine a tsunami on par with these though slightly less maybe anywhere from 50-70ft high in close vicinity and 10-20ft high as far as hawaii? (my guess)

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Just watching Foxnews and a represenative from USGS was on and he said their may be another aftershock around 7.8-8.0 wouldn't be out of the question. He also said the tsunami will hit 4:05 EST. God bless them all!

link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by Katie

Pray that it doesn't trigger the Juan De Fuca plate. That would be utter calamity.

For those that don't know can you confirm that location?

link   
Just watching Foxnews and a represenative from USGS was on and he said their may be another aftershock around 7.8-8.0 wouldn't be out of the question. He also said the tsunami will hit 4:05 EST. God bless them all!

link   
reply to post by Virole

This Chile quake was almost 1000x more powerful than the quake that hit Haiti..
This was a biggy

link   
reply to post by Katie

California shakes every day, and the quakes showing on the USGS maps for that region are nothing at all out of the ordinary. So providing they stay pretty much as they have been then they're nothing much to worry about. All the same, I can only echo other posters when I say that we have to hope the big Chile quake won't trigger the Juan de Fuca subduction zone. As far as we know, that is the only region on the western side of the USA that is capable of producing a mag 9 quake. It has done so before: the last time it let go in a big way was in 1700 and sooner or later it will let go again.

But let's hope it's not soon.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacATK18
reply to post by Virole

This Chile quake was almost 1000x more powerful than the quake that hit Haiti..
This was a biggy

USGS said 500 more times more powerfull. Don't mean to play games but just trying to be accurate.

link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
they are taking it really serious in hawaii, closing all universities, people are lining up at shopping centers, grocery stores and gas stations...

www.ustream.tv...

Bad times, Ive got a friend over there at the moment.

link   

Originally posted by ReVoLuTiOn76
Ladies and gentleman, I think this may be the beginning of the end of the world. There will be other major natural disasters within a couple of more weeks.As for Chile they have a huge mess on their hands.

agreed..

btw has anybody ever heard of a major earthquake and then the aftershoks creating or announcing a bigger one? any historical facts on this?

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join