It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

My memory worked as it should this time.

That is the annual tidal wave in Hangzhou Bay

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
USGS

They just got hit with another after shock 6.3 mag

Now thats as big as a "servere" earthquake in it's own right!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

go to google earth watch the web cams, they will keep you informed I have friends in Hawaii I know right now the waves are at 8feet and it is suppose to be there close to 4pm my time so I am in deep deep thoughts right now and for everyone.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Yes. An annual event. Tidal bore, unrelated to tsunami.

[edit on 2/27/2010 by Phage]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
TheFireTracker2 RT @alisayoung: Just heard from a family friend in Hawaii Kai, water has dropped 2ft in the Marina (#hitsunami live at ustre.am...)

twitter.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by broli
Has anyone posted live webcam of the Hawaiian shore lines?

YES they do have one go to this link

www.earthcam.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hate to say this but ill put it out there...
wasnt the LHC due to be switched on this week...

BBC article about it here

link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jonny2410

Too early to tell. Hilo, Haleiwa, Kahului, and Hanalei are "resonant" bays which can amplify tsunami. We won't really know for a few hours what the effects will be.

i agree,

there are many pulses of the/this Tsunami, including the aftershocks, if the first wave gets in far enuff, the follow ups could make it 10x worst, regardless of its size will be problematic,

there are alot of closer small islands with similar resonant seabeds all over that part of the pacific ocean, does anybody have any reports on easter islands yet? they was suppost to be getting evacuated!

Originally posted by NorthStargal52
reply to post by berkeleygal

go to google earth watch the web cams, they will keep you informed I have friends in Hawaii I know right now the waves are at 8feet and it is suppose to be there close to 4pm my time so I am in deep deep thoughts right now and for everyone.

Thats not good news

[edit on 27-2-2010 by BRITWARRIOR]

link   
147 reported killed in Chile according to cnn, Hilo International airport shut down. Tsunami supposed to hit in less than 2 hours!

link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

That's because it's low tide.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
As I was watcing CNN a lady from CHILE stated that she noticed different colors in the sky ...before and during the earthquake.
Why would the sky change colors? Does this have anything to do with the magnetic fields in earth effecting our atmosphere???
Clueless

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Don't know if this is good or bad thing. But you do here about water moving out and exposing the sea bed immediatly before,

Will be interesting to see if this continues to drop with 1 1/2 hours to go.

Note on the 6.3 hit, it was right next to Santiago. apprantly already seriously affect by the initial, but which was much further away.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
according to cnn on hawaii tsunami:

""This is a serious event. We're going to treat this as a destructive-type tsunami."

The state's two U.S. senators, Daniel K. Inouye and Daniel K. Akaka, urged Hawaii residents to remain calm.

"If you live in an evacuation zone I urge you to gather your family and please leave the area," Inouye said.

"It is important to remain calm, listen to the news, and follow the instructions being issued by state and county civil defense officials."

Citing the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, the senators said some areas of Hawaii could see an initial 10 to 15 foot rise and that waves could continue for at least six hours."

scary!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thugz4real

this is typical of government. Downplay events initially. Tsunami warnings have been "severe" the entire time. As the wave approaches start escalating the severity.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue_fish
As I was watcing CNN a lady from CHILE stated that she noticed different colors in the sky ...before and during the earthquake.
Why would the sky change colors? Does this have anything to do with the magnetic fields in earth effecting our atmosphere???
Clueless

YES

Read Here: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Watching the live stream of www.kitv.com... out of Hawaii.

They just said the highest selling item in the stores is beer. Hawaiians sure know how to stock up for a disaster.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I just posted this on the Tsunami thread, but I thought it would warrant a mention here too

When I got in this morning we had the Tsunami warning on the fax. Officially the quake was 8.8, and the sea level gauges (in metres)
were are as follows:

French Polynesia 0.15m
Dart Marquesas 0.18
Caldera 0.45m
Talcahuano 2.34m
Coquimbo 1.32m
Corral 0.90m
Valparaiso 1.29m
Iquique 0.28m
Antofagasta 0.49m
Arica 0.94m
Dart 0.24m
San Felix 0.53m
Valparaiso 1.29m
Easter Island 0.35m
Galapagos Islands 0.35m

Significant in some places, thankfully not too bad though

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Ha..I just found what you posted. Thanks for that.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Sky News Breaking News Reporting

First Tsunami wave hits Chatham NZ

maps.google.co.uk...

[edit on 27-2-2010 by BRITWARRIOR]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Latest alerts just issued by the NOAA.

the provision records of surges have been anything from less and 1ft to over 7ft, in various locations.

Also note that the NOAA woman on CNN did say that the FIRST wave is not always the biggest, but will keep coming in out until it hits peak.

At the moment on the west coast it is up around the Baja, so have has plenty of landmass to take the sting out of it. However the wave heading for the hawaian idlands?? well seeing the model, its a pretty much un inhibited route across the water.

Lets hope people have got up to higher ground

If nothing happens, at least everyone is all togeether and can have an inpromptu party!

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join