It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmD1
Is anyone who understands the site earthquake.usgs.gov... keeping an eye on the quakes in chile!!!

I count 26 quakes of 5.0 today or above since the 8.8 happened and it seems some are inland. Can anyone explain if they are just after quakes and the amount of damage one of these could cause. They seem to be at a depth of around 32-37km. Alot in the same off-shore area could they affect the tsunami scenario?

Thanks

Correct. It is about 27 actually and these will all be either aftershocks or additional movement. None of them are likely to cause major damage, but a 6.0 for example could exacerbate damage already caused by the 8.8. They will have no effect upon the current tsunami as that wave is already out there, and most of these are too small to cause a tsunami themselves.

[edit on 27/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
6.3 Earthquake now in Argentina.

So what do we know about this Argentina one so far? would another tsunami be generated? DOUBLE TSUNAMI??? please I need updates!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
New sea level readings indicate #tsunami waves "could cause widespread damage" - Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

-when there reading ocean surface changes of 1m in height out at sea, you fear this wave is continuing to Amplify the longer it continues to travel the Pacific Ocean.

CNN is reporting that it could grow as it travels toward Hawaii....but no mandatory evacuations yet...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I monitor RF heaters (HAARP, EISCAT, HIPAS, and many others) via shortwave radio. Each evening this week I have been able to count 20 or more RF heaters running in the 2, 4 and 6 MHz bands. Very active. The strange coincidence is that I can't find one on-air this morning. It is common on weekends to see a significant decrease in RF heater activity (most are run by governments, after all
, but it is strangely quiet this morning. Just saying these are observable behaviors, and this is quite a coincidence.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I was just about to post about that, maybe it was caused by the earthquakes and aftershocks in chilli, anyhow More information here

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
BBC News reporting easter islands are being evacuated, is it normal for there to be so many aftershocks, maybe 1 or 2 but the girl that was talking over the phone to BBC said there have been aftershocks every 10mins and one when she was on the phone talking, and that was 8 hours or so after the earthquake, there big aftershocks aswell 6.5 the biggest so far.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
6.3 Earthquake now in Argentina.

So what do we know about this Argentina one so far? would another tsunami be generated? DOUBLE TSUNAMI??? please I need updates!

Doubt there will be a Tsunami warning on the ARG earthquake
it was inside the landmass further north long the fault line.

Could this trigger a chain reaction all along the San Andreas??

Worrying seeing as I am sat on it in Colombia!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
New sea level readings indicate #tsunami waves "could cause widespread damage" - Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

-when there reading ocean surface changes of 1m in height out at sea, you fear this wave is continuing to Amplify the longer it continues to travel the Pacific Ocean.

Sorry, could you please post a link to this? The last one I have is bulletin number 010 issued at 27 Feb 2010 15:43 and it makes no mention of this.

[edit on 27/2/2010 by PuterMan]

link   
well I think people should evacuate in hawaii this is a tsunami warning , I wouldn't mess with mother nature right now....
this is just too scary

link   
Is it possible that a tsunami from the Chile earthquake and Japans possible tsunami could they combine and become ONE huge Tsunami?

Water does attract water, just wondering.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Earthquake reported in neighbouring Argentina too.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I think yes, massive aftershocks are normal, especially due to the magnitude of the quake, this one was huge, so yes there will be aftershocks..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Katie
Is it possible that a tsunami from the Chile earthquake and Japans possible tsunami could they combine and become ONE huge Tsunami?

NO. The Japanese 'tsunami' never happened as a pacific wide event and in any case the event is over. This is the latest bulletin on that event.

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001
PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS
ISSUED AT 2044Z 26 FEB 2010

THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO AREAS WITHIN AND BORDERING THE PACIFIC
OCEAN AND ADJACENT SEAS...EXCEPT ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...
WASHINGTON...OREGON AND CALIFORNIA.

... TSUNAMI INFORMATION BULLETIN ...

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY.

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY
NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE
DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND
ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 2031Z 26 FEB 2010
COORDINATES - 26.1 NORTH 128.5 EAST
DEPTH - 29 KM
LOCATION - RYUKYU ISLANDS JAPAN
MAGNITUDE - 7.3

EVALUATION

NO DESTRUCTIVE WIDESPREAD TSUNAMI THREAT EXISTS BASED ON
HISTORICAL EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI DATA.

HOWEVER - EARTHQUAKES OF THIS SIZE SOMETIMES GENERATE LOCAL
TSUNAMIS THAT CAN BE DESTRUCTIVE ALONG COASTS LOCATED WITHIN
A HUNDRED KILOMETERS OF THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER. AUTHORITIES
IN THE REGION OF THE EPICENTER SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS
POSSIBILITY AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION.

THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BULLETIN ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE.

THE JAPAN METEOROLOGICAL AGENCY MAY ALSO ISSUE TSUNAMI MESSAGES
FOR THIS EVENT TO COUNTRIES IN THE NORTHWEST PACIFIC AND SOUTH
CHINA SEA REGION. IN CASE OF CONFLICTING INFORMATION... THE
MORE CONSERVATIVE INFORMATION SHOULD BE USED FOR SAFETY.

THE WEST COAST/ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER WILL ISSUE PRODUCTS
FOR ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...WASHINGTON...OREGON...CALIFORNIA.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Katie

Surely anything generated by the quake in Okinawa should has dissapated by now. I don;t remember seeing anythign further than just a warning from that one

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
You'd need at least a 7.5+ undersea generated thrust quake or undersea slide for a Tsunami to be generated, you can occasionally still get +8.0 quakes but with no water displacement the energy dispercement isn't transferred into a Tsunami wave.

The 6.3 quake was also in Northern/Central Argentina. A quick look on the USGS map doesn't take a minute to see this. I'd be more concerned about the building codes in the city of Salta which has just taken a direct hit from this quake.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The tsunami has arrived in the south Pacific
Marquesas at 15:31 UTC, .6 ft
Rikitea at 15:36 UTC, .5 ft

www.prh.noaa.gov...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Glowing lights around an earthquake's epicentre

Paul Simons: Weather Eye

The earthquake on February 27 did more than shake people up in the middle of the night. Reports have come in that mysterious lights also appeared around the quake’s epicentre near Market Rasen, Lincolnshire.

One witness described how a grapefruit-sized glowing sphere appeared in her bedroom and then went out like a light. “This thing seemed to be coming across the room straight at me. I was very frightened,” she told the Louth Leader. Another person described flashes like car headlights at her window, and others spoke of lightning flashes after the quake. However, there was no lightning activity at the time of the quake.

In fact, there have been many reports of “earthquake lights” throughout history. Residents of Tangshan in China, for example, were awakened one night in July 1976 by bright flashes in the sky. Two days later an earthquake registering 7.8 on the Richter scale killed 240,000 people and destroyed the city. And a Japanese scientist took photographs of balls of light and red streaks in the sky during a swarm of earthquakes in Matsushiro between 1965 and 1967.

One explanation for his phenomenon is that the electrical properties of rocks may change under severe stress before or during a quake. This may generate changes in the electrical behaviour of the atmosphere, ionising the air and producing glowing lights.

awesomenature.tribe.net...

This is one explanation I got from a website, apparently is very common

hmm these whole thing make me wonder even more

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
8.2ft Tsunami expected to strike Hilo given current predictions. The airport is listed as 38ft in elevation so although there looks to be a few shoreline homes, the damage will be minimal, to this part of the island chain at least.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
www.camhawaii.com...

hawaii Webcams...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Chile death toll now at 122.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join