It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Government confirms death toll of 122 so far in the Earthquake.

Live press conference on CNN.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
What is up with all of the earthquakes?

The world has enough problems as it is...we certainly don't need earthquakes to make it worse.

I don't care what anyone says, this is not normal and I think something major is happening to the earth.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
My god, I don't really know what to say.

Last night I was dreaming, and in my dream, I was walking around some big city and all of a sudden a huge bridge tips over on it's side and then collapses. I look back towards the start of the bridge and I see a truck driving off the edge of the concrete then stops. A man gets out and jumps down to where the street had fallen onto the ocean surface.

After I saw this, I start to see people panic and start to loot all over the city.

I woke up after that dream, and for some reason I turn on CNN, and there it was, the earthquake in Chile. I didn't even make the connection until just now. I can't believe that I had that dream.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Vexatious Vex

That is an interesting connection you have made there.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I think you might be right, it does seem that something is happening. Maybe some kind of shift is starting to happen.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
"Pro" global warming? lol. That presumes you prescribe to "climate change as a result of a warming planet" being a political issue as opposed to scientific fact.

Smoking isn't bad for you either, according to tobacco companies who converted the science to a political issue to protect profits. Funny how the same corparate friendly crew who were behind that are also at the core of your comment.

Anyway, my post was more concerned with chunks of the ice shelf becoming destabilized and the devastating potential for global sea level rise if it is substantial enough.

Sorry I continued to be off topic in order to address your off topic comment.

Cheers.

EDIT: This was a reply to Puterman, somehow I messed that up. My bad...

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Vexatious Vex]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Been thinking this same way for a while now. Just to much weird stuff escalating. My heart goes out to all affected.
I hope no dormant volcanoes here in Arizona go off. I live near the San Pedro river (AZ) and there is a fault there. In the 1800's a quake made most of the river flow underground. There is but a trickle left.
Everyone is in my prayers.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by djmolecular]

link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by David9176
What is up with all of the earthquakes?

The world has enough problems as it is...we certainly don't need earthquakes to make it worse.

I don't care what anyone says, this is not normal and I think something major is happening to the earth.

Calm down! This IS normal. Remember that this area is just about the most active in the world. Look at the Google Earth picture I put u and see the number of volcanoes in the area. What may seem like a huge increase is becuase of better awareness.

The USGS estimates that several million earthquakes occur in the world each year. Many go undetected because they hit remote areas or have very small magnitudes. The NEIC now locates about 50 earthquakes each day, or about 20,000 a year.

As more and more seismographs are installed in the world, more earthquakes can be and have been located. However, the number of large earthquakes (magnitude 6.0 and greater) has stayed relatively constant. See: Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase?

Source

[edit on 27/2/2010 by PuterMan]

link   
I agree that this seems out of the ordinary. There was also a 3.5 earthquake reported in CA a few minutes ago. It may be small, but the earthquake in Chile may be creating a domino effect.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by esnov3
SKY CHANGING COLORS ?On CNN AT 9:45 am east coast time. Cecila Lagos a journalist in Santiago,Chile was describing the earthquake while she was laying in bed. What caught my attention is she "saw the sky changing colors" as she could see outside her window from bed.
Does the sky chnage colors durning an earthquake ?

Didn't they have sky colors over that big one in China a while back?

(Sorry if someone said that already - gut response.)

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

I posted a thread last night in relation to the earthquakes and the web bots, but I don't think many people saw it because it was so late...

Here's the link, in case anyone is interested:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Website with all the Hawaii webcams, still dark there but should be lightening up soon.

Hawaii Webcam Directory

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
More photos here, but probably already posted elsewhere.

I don't think this is something out of normal, that area has the biggest earthquake ever registered, that's why their buildings didn't collapsed with such a large earthquake.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hawaii Public Radio

www.hawaiipublicradio.org...

link   
I wonder if there will be an earthquake or hurricane again that someone doesn't claim is either an effect of haarp, galactic alignment, or some other abnormal occurance.

Earthquakes happen, volcanos happen, tsunamis happen, its all very normal for a still somewhat active planet. If these things didnt happen, we would be a dead, lifeless rock...no tech or galactic event required.

Now, if we get like 30 more 8.0+ earthquakes in the next month, then you got my attention...

link   
www.tsunami.org...

Hilo has been devastated before, I have been there and seen how high the water got after the mega quake in Alaska. I'm trying to find a cam that shows the lava bench at Kilauea beach.

Here is a good one to watch.
webcamshawaii.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Alright Hawaii, get ready with the surfboards, the MOA-waves is about to hit...(no worries, they have gotten ready for it and would be suprised if any deaths came from it).

I told my sister in law to get her snorkeling gear on.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vexatious Vex
"Pro" global warming? lol. That presumes you prescribe to "climate change as a result of a warming planet" being a political issue as opposed to scientific fact.

Smoking isn't bad for you either, according to tobacco companies who converted the science to a political issue to protect profits. Funny how the same corparate friendly crew who were behind that are also at the core of your comment.

Anyway, my post was more concerned with chunks of the ice shelf becoming destabilized and the devastating potential for global sea level rise if it is substantial enough.

Sorry I continued to be off topic in order to address your off topic comment.

Cheers.

EDIT: This was a reply to Puterman, somehow I messed that up. My bad...

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Vexatious Vex]

Don't talk such complete and utter rubbish. My comment on it being a pro global warming site had nothing what so ever to do with my views on the subject. It is a comment on the fact that those two sites, like so many on both sides, only peddle their own propaganda and do not look at the other sides of the story.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This foxnews article says first waves are expected to hit Hawaii @ 4:19PM ET - 11:19AM local time. Should be interesting watching a live tsunami roll ashore here in a few hours. With the advance warning they should have plenty of time to get people evacuated.

Foxnews Article - Tsunami Evacuation

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Originally posted by esnov3
SKY CHANGING COLORS ?On CNN AT 9:45 am east coast time. Cecila Lagos a journalist in Santiago,Chile was describing the earthquake while she was laying in bed. What caught my attention is she "saw the sky changing colors" as she could see outside her window from bed.
Does the sky chnage colors durning an earthquake ?

Didn't they have sky colors over that big one in China a while back?

(Sorry if someone said that already - gut response.)

Here is a video of the sky before the Sichuan earthquake in 2008. Apparently, the video was taken 30 minutes before the quake. Personally, I don't know what to make of it, but it looks like odd cloud formations that is all.

The phenomenon is recognized by the scientific community, and they refer to it as "Earthquake Light."

An earthquake light, is an unusual luminous aerial phenomenon, that reportedly appears in the sky at or near areas of tectonic stress, seismic activity, or volcanic eruptions. Once commonly challenged, it was not until photographs were taken during the Matsushiro earthquake swarm, from 1965 through 1967, that the seismology community acknowledged their occurrence.

The lights are reported to appear while an earthquake is occurring, although there are reports of lights before or after earthquakes, such as reports concerning the 1975 Kalapana earthquake.[2] They are reported to have shapes similar to those of the auroras, with a white to bluish hue, but occasionally they have been reported having a wider color spectrum.[1] The luminosity is reported to be visible for several seconds, but has also been reported to last for tens of minutes. Accounts of viewable distance from the epicenter varies, in the 1930 Idu earthquake, lights were reported up to 70 miles from the epicenter.[3] Earthquake lights were reportedly spotted in Tianshui, Gansu, approximately 400 km north-northeast of the earthquakes epicenter.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Jakes51]

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join