It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

See my post at the top of the page. Most of the South American ones are past the tsunami and it is just getting to Panama now.

Sorry this ended up on the next page. Top of page 19

[edit on 27/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

The reports and tweets are starting I believe.

Daily Telegraph report

"A 1.3 metre tsunami wave was observed at Valparaiso, 200 kilometres north of the epicentre about 20 minutes after the earthquake.

"Tsunami waves in the deep ocean travel about the same speed as a jet plane and would take about 15 hours to reach Hawaii and about 20 hours to reach the other side of the Pacific."

Dr David Rothery, from the Open University's Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, said: "This morning's magnitude 8.8 earthquake close to the Chilean coast has caused a tsunami that is now radiating away from the epicentre and travelling at several hundred kilometres per hour across the Pacific ocean.

"The first waves are expected ot Hawaii at 11:19 Hawaii Standard Time but are also travelling along the South America coast and will reach Colombia and Costa Rica after 1300 GMT.

[edit on 27/2/2010 by kosmicjack]

sorry...I can't make that link work for anything...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Another picture of the collapsed Bridge in Santiago.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8ecadd0d12fa.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
www.prh.noaa.gov...

Tsunami Messages for All Regions (Past 10 Days)

in case this hasnt been posted yet

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Perhaps, it is a geologic phenomenon akin to the violent situation that took place during the separation of the once super continent Pangea, some 250 million years ago?

Always assuming of course that you happen to subscribe to that particular theory. And if you do then you should also be aware that it is in theory a continuous process of the tectonic plates floating about over the earth and not some sudden parting.

On the other hand you might subscribe to the expanding earth theories. They have some merit but there is a small matter of subduction that might not be adequately covered.

Mayb it is somewhere between the two?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Does anyone have an approximation of how high waves are expected in Hawaii? I saw where they were expecting a Tsunami around 8 tonight (EST) and I'm wondering how these people will evacuate. Stuck in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I've never been to Hawaii, are there mountains high enough where people can evacuate to?

[edit on 27/2/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Try this for your link Daily Telegraph report

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Source: Reuters
CHILE'S PRESIDENT SAYS THERE ARE MORE THAN 85 DEATHS JUST IN SOUTHERN MAULE REGION DUE QUAKE

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

The only approximation I can give is from the graphic which would indicate between 200 and 300 mm for the main island and possibly a little bigger on the outlying islands, however localised influences may affect this. I will see if I can find any further info.

Best I can find is this but it is not 'scientific' (Another conspiracy site but obviously not as good as ATS
).

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I just had some customers check in. They told me that they were heading to Maui. I gave them a friendly warning about what they might expect when they get there. They reacted with complete shock. They didn't know about the Tsunami Warning. Well, I'm off. My shift is over. My heart to all those that are suffering at this moment.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Aftershocks continues >

EDITED NEW INFO

เต็ม จอ
Earthquake
State: Region del Maule
Date: 2010-02-27 : 14:23:27
Magnitude: 5.2
Depth: 35 km

Just hit next one!

Earthquake
State: Region del Maule
Date: 2010-02-27 : 14:29:03
Magnitude: 5.0
Depth: 10 km

hisz.rsoe.hu...

[edit on 27-2-2010 by JanusFIN]

[edit on 27-2-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

The only approximation I can give is from the graphic which would indicate between 200 and 300 mm for the main island and possibly a little bigger on the outlying islands, however localised influences may affect this. I will see if I can find any further info.

The only thing I can find is this from the Tsunami alert for Hawaii:

www.prh.noaa.gov...

TSUNAMI WAVE HEIGHTS CANNOT BE PREDICTED AND THE FIRST WAVE MAY NOT BE THE LARGEST.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Could this have anything to do with the filament that collapsed on the sun? They sais that we could possibly see some elecromagnetic storms on the 27th or 28th. Probably unrelated, but who knows.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
After the last 5.2 that just went off Google Earth is looking like this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c005e27d6800.png[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Cecilia Lagos a journalist from Chile was just on CNN talking about how she was laying in bed awake as it was happening. It is not uncommon for there to be tremors but it didn't stop in got louder and as she was looking out the window she noticed the sky was changing color. Her expression on her face was as if it doesn't happen regularly.
Does anyone have this experience during Earthquakes?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mslag67

Her account was riveting. She compared it to the movie 2012.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
my thoughts and prayers to all involved.

these threads should be in a chat type environment. i don't know how you all keep up.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I'm wondering who Pat Robertson's going to blame this earthquake on.

Just read that Hillary Clinton had planned on visiting some of the Latin American countries this week. Chile was one of the countries. She probably will still go there but now under differant circumstances.

Can anybody answer as to why earthquakes always seem to strike at night?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
Oh holy bat sh**!

Look at quakes in Cali now too.

I am afraid!

Yeah thats only under a super volcano, you can rest easy now
. Long Valley is rumbling again. Thats never good. Pray for everyone in Chile. God warned us and now he will shake us to our core.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by iamnot

Yeah, my first reaction on reading her account.

The forlorn images, with the hapless expressions of the victims, is so depressing and tormenting. Hopefully, however, the end is not nigh

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join