It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Ukraine Update Thread - part 2

page: 299
<< 296  297  298    300  301  302 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 10:31 PM
link   
War can be expensive project

Western sanctions against Russia work and are crippling the Russian economy. This is just the latest indication to that effect.

The Russian government is administering an across-the-board cut of 10% in budgetary expenses. This is in reaction to a larger-than-expected decline of fiscal revenues over the summer (a deficit of close to 1.5 trillion rubles). This is likely only the first step

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Seems like Ukraine have now Sisu XA-180/185 ( pasi ) , these can be handy , and i am saying from personal experience, i drived these in army time. I was few times in Gulf of Finland with it, so even sea is no problem. There are many rivers in Ukraine so they can try used to get troops to other side without bridge/heli .

The Armed Forces of #Ukraine️ use #Finnish armored personnel carriers Sisu XA-180/185

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue
a reply to: SgtEsquire

Isnt attacking dams considered a war crime now ??

The brits did it against the Ruhr dams in 1943

During Korean war US Navy attacked the sluice gates on a dam to prevent the Chinese from manipulating the war levels by releasing water down stream

Great question!

I've been wondering the same thing since Ukraine blew up one of their own in Feb. I was hoping someone here would already know the answer, but I'll do some research later if nobody responds.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue

Isnt attacking dams considered a war crime now ??

That change occurred in 1949, but I didn't know the specific details and timeline concerning that matter.

The brits did it against the Ruhr dams in 1943

The Dambusters Raid is a fantastic case study concerning wartime innovation, and the gap between perceived strategic impacts and what occurred. The widespread devastation caused by the raid didn't entail related German wartime industries grinding to a halt.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

I mostly used this site and didn't notice any significant difference in docs from West Point or the UN:

IHL-database

It appears that it depends on the definition of the word 'risk' and of 'severe losses among the civilian population'.

Article 56 of the 1977 Additional Protocol I provides:

1. Works and installations containing dangerous forces, namely dams, dykes and nuclear electrical generating stations, shall not be made the object of attack, even where these objects are military objectives, if such attack may cause the release of dangerous forces and consequent severe losses among the civilian population. Other military objectives located at or in the vicinity of these works or installations shall not be made the object of attack if such attack may cause the release of dangerous forces from the works or installations and consequent severe losses among the civilian population.

2. The special protection against attack provided for in paragraph 1 shall cease:

(a) for a dam or a dyke only if it is used for other than its normal function and in regular, significant and direct support of military operations and if such attack is the only feasible way to terminate such support;

(b) for a nuclear electrical generating station only if it provides electric power in regular, significant and direct support of military operations and if such attack is the only feasible way to terminate such support;

(c) for other military objectives located at or in the vicinity of these works or installations only if they are used in regular, significant and direct support of military operations and if such attack is the only feasible way to terminate such support.

edit on 16-9-2022 by MidnightWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Some are worryed allready about future in Russia

Jews are worried about the future of Russia

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

As Russia falls further down the hole to economic and military ruin, their political leaders will be looking for someone to blame, because it won't be them! Those to scapegoat. It's a terrible human condition that those to blame are usually those who are different.

The Jews have a lot to fear, as do other minority groups and free-thinkers. Russia has a track-record of brutality to its own people and "outsiders", or those who simply think differently.

Perhaps the hundreds of thousands of educated Russians leaving Russia is a good weathervane for the future. They just do not want to live in a country which has an accelerating failure.

edit on 16/9/2022 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 02:08 AM
link   
15 September Update

Russian sources reported that Ukrainian forces are continuing ground operations southwest of Izyum, near Lyman, and on the east bank of the Oskil River, reportedly compelling Russian forces to withdraw from some areas in eastern Ukraine and reinforce others.

Key Takeaways

* Ukrainian forces continued counteroffensive operations in eastern Ukraine.

* The Kremlin is responding to the defeat around Kharkiv Oblast by doubling down on crypto-mobilization, rather than setting conditions for general mobilization.

* The Kremlin has almost certainly drained a large proportion of the forces originally at Russian bases in former Soviet states since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine began in February, likely weakening Russian influence in those states.

* Russian and Ukrainian sources reported Ukrainian ground attacks northwest of Kharkiv City, near the Ukrainian bridgehead over the Inhulets River, and south of the Kherson-Dnipropetrovsk Oblast border.

* Russian-appointed occupation officials and milbloggers claimed that Ukrainian forces conducted a landing at the Kinsburn Spit (a narrow peninsula of the Crimean Peninsula).

* Russian forces conducted limited ground assaults and are reinforcing positions on the Eastern Axis.

* The Russian proxy Donetsk People’s Republic (DNR) is likely attempting to stop its administrators from fleeing ahead of the Ukrainian counteroffensive, demonstrating the bureaucratic fragility of the DNR.

More at URL above.

Cheers
edit on 16-9-2022 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2022 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Yeeh agree , the blame game starts .... and it`s the brainpower , losing educated people who move out that will have bad impact on many level in Russian future.

The aviation sector has allready problems, and one official just sayed that pilots should repair their own planes, which does not make much sense to me....repair with what ? duct tape ?

Russia Tells Pilots To Repair Their Own Planes Amid Sanctions—Report

Aeroflot have mostly Western made planes , i wonder how they will keep them in air.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Russia’s Long-Range Aviation branch, responsible for its three bomber types — the Tu-22M3 Backfire-C, Tu-95MS Bear-H, and Tu-160 Blackjack — attacks infrastructure in the central and western parts of Ukraine, including military equipment production and repair plants, strategic fuel supplies, airfields, railway facilities, etc.

Long Range Aviation

Cheers

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 02:26 AM
link   

It's a scene straight out of the Dirty Dozen or Suicide Squad. A close confidant of Vladimir Putin pitches combat duty to a prison yard full of inmates, promising clemency for service in Russia's floundering invasion.

Dirty Dozen

Cheers

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Russia’s publicizing a triumphant strike on an obviously inert concrete structure from WWII is incredibly lame but also not surprising.

Death to pylons

Cheers

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

Russia’s publicizing a triumphant strike on an obviously inert concrete structure from WWII is incredibly lame but also not surprising.

Death to pylons

Cheers

Was it a nazi pylon?

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Garrison's Gorillas

www.imdb.com...
edit on 16-9-2022 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

Wow. Talk about a forgotten series. I recall "The Rat Patrol" from those days.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Evil nazi pylon ugh

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 11:32 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   
New day, new excuse from putin for the Ukraine invasion...

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday accused the West of wanting to break up Russia, and said that he had sent Russia's armed forces into Ukraine in February in order to prevent this.

Link

What a clown that Putin is. If that's what he believes, then he should sack up and bring the fight to the west.

top topics

<< 296  297  298    300  301  302 >>

join