It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Ukraine Update Thread - part 2

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I guess putin just admitted that they had always been fair game.

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Not to mention the Chechens, the Syrians, and potentially "volunteers" from the Central African Republic.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: PatriotGames4u

Yeah, "spent force". My guess is that means, "combat noneffective".

No idea what that means in terms of the Russian military. IIRC, in the U.S. forces, it meant the entire formation in question had taken around 20 to 30 percent casualties.

In World War II, both the Germans and Russians ground their formations down. It was not uncommon for Soviet rifle divisions to operate at roughly one third of their establishment strength. Putin's army may be trying that today, but IMO is less likely to derive much benefit from such techniques.

Cheers
edit on 5-4-2022 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Yeah Russia is all about the hypocrisy. Russia is using Syrians and the Wagner group (Chechens as well but im not sure if they are considered 3rd party or Russian). It doesnt help that Russia withdrew from one of the Geneva protocols when it comes to war crimes and civilians back in 2019. It makes one think that Russia was planning on attacking Ukraine back then.

The Russian stance on the Geneva conventions takes me back to WW2. The Soviet Union, at the time, bitched constantly on how their military was treated by the Nazis (especially how the US/UK/et all were treated vastly different). Naqzi master race bs aside, The nazis didnt extend the Geneva convention to the Soviets because the USSR never signed them (iirc they signed in the late 1940's-ear;y 1950's.

I am seeing the same issue with Russia and how they treat Ukrainians.

edit on 5-4-2022 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Yeah Russia is all about the hypocrisy. Russia is using Syrians and the Wagner group (Chechens as well but im not sure if they are considered 3rd party or Russian). It doesnt help that Russia withdrew from one of the Geneva protocols when it comes to war crimes and civilians back in 2019. It makes one think that Russia was planning on attacking Ukraine back then.

The Russian stance on the Geneva conventions takes me back to WW2. The Soviet Union, at the time, bitched constantly on how their military was treated by the Nazis (especially how the US/UK/et all were treated vastly different). Naqzi master race bs aside, The nazis didnt extend the Geneva convention to the Soviets because the USSR never signed them (iirc they signed in the late 1940's-ear;y 1950's.

I am seeing the same issue with Russia and how they treat Ukrainians.

I'm thinking leadership has broken down at all levels there and the Russians and their mercs went on an old fashion Rape pillage and blunder spree. Some of it is so weird like setting up flee markets to sell stolen items.

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 08:04 AM
link   

"Leadership" might have flown the coop, hastening the collapse of discipline.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The Russian stance on the Geneva convention

As war as not been declared by either side, i don't think the Geneva Convention stands.

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

a declaration of war is not necessary.

PARAGRAPH 1 -- ARMED CONFLICTS INVOLVING
THE APPLICATION OF THE CONVENTION

By its general character, this paragraph deprives belligerents, in advance, of the pretexts they might in theory put forward for evading their obligations. There is no need for a formal declaration of war, or for recognition of the existence of a state of war, as preliminaries to the application of the Convention. The occurrence of de facto hostilities is sufficient.

Link

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
4 April update.

More at URL above.

Cheers

Your news source here is full of government and Ukraine allies. Especially the contributor of the article Borros.

there is no balance to their assessment. most of the references are to the ukrainian army which has been posting videos from the game ARMA and saying it was real footage

just check out barros linkedin

www.linkedin.com...
edit on 5-4-2022 by RsaWarhawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: RsaWarhawk

For the taking or the leaving, as is everything I post on ATS.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Cheers

Fair enough and i am not attacking you, just we do need some balance in the force here

not sure if telegram links are allowed here but
t.me...
note** this is propaganda as well
Warning: they do NOT hide graphic videos there
edit on 5-4-2022 by RsaWarhawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I think all sourced comments are welcome here. Again, all for "the taking or the leaving".

Cheers

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 09:35 AM
link   

As a retaliation, #Ukraine used the recently captured Russian thermobaric systems TOS-1A Solntsepyok (Blazing Sun) to annihilate the Russian attack formations near Izium city, #Kharkiv province. Source: spox of Odesa admin. Serhiy Bratchuk. (Photo by Ukraine Army)

twitter.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: RsaWarhawk

Cheers

Fair enough and i am not attacking you, just we do need some balance in the force here

Why do we need "balance" here? Putin is the only one that called for an invasion.

There would be no war-time casualties if he had not (except of course, the other 15k from his first invasion of Crimea in 2014). Putin is an overt threat to Ukraine and now, the rest of Europe.

I think this is nonsense, in needing "balance".

edit on 5-4-2022 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

A Ukrainian Stugna-P ATGM team shoots down a hovering Russian Ka-52 "Alligator" attack helicopter

I recall this scenario being discussed in the 1980s. It was considered possible but not likely to happen. Interesting, though. If the helo crew sees the missile fire, they might assume it is a SAM and deploy countermeasures -- which probably would not be effective against an ATGM that is being steered by its operator.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Ukrainian Forces Cheer As They Destroy Russian Helicopter With Anti-Tank Missile In Kharkiv

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Zelensky Addresses United Nations In Wake Of Bucha Massacre

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Cyclist Appears To Be Shot By Russian Armored Vehicles In Bucha

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

I guess that's case closed on what I said about a Javelin hitting a helicopter at Hostemel last month, the russian invasion supporters insisted this was impossible.

(It wasn't supposed to be possible, it was an unexpected software error to the manufacturer too, and will likely be quickly corrected)

edit on 5-4-2022 by PatriotGames4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2022 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Some extra tanks being sent to Ukraine-

The Czech Republic has been sending old Soviet-designed tanks into Ukraine, providing badly needed heavy weapons to outgunned Ukrainian troops that are battling a much better-equipped Russian invasion force.

The efforts, described by three Czech and Slovak officials, mark the first time a foreign country has provided tanks to Ukraine since Russia’s invasion began Feb. 24.

In a potentially even more important development, both the Czech Republic and neighboring Slovakia, which shares a border with Ukraine, are considering opening their military industrial installations to repair and refit damaged Ukrainian military equipment.

I doubt Putin will be happy about that.

So far, the Czech Republic has sent slightly more than a dozen modernized, Soviet-designed T-72M tanks, said Czech defense ministry officials.
The Central European country has also sent howitzer artillery pieces and BMP-1 amphibious tracked infantry fighting vehicles to Ukraine, officials said.
These weapons supplies were funded by the Czech government, and private Czech donors who have chipped in to a government-backed crowdsourced fundraising campaign to arm Ukraine

www.wsj.com... ilewebshare

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join