It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$7 Gallon gas

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
The problem may arise when there is an accident and you are running low. What happens when there are hundreds of cars waiting for a charge up?

The vehicle is not constantly idling if there is an accident.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The problem may arise when there is an accident and you are running low. What happens when there are hundreds of cars waiting for a charge up?

Yes I am aware, the problem is when there are cars that run out, and there will be, it’s not as simple as bringing a can of gas to the car.
My guess is there will have to be some kind of charging vehicle, and I bet that would be expensive.

I’m not saying every single electric car will run out of charge, but there will be some. Think about people in a snowstorm and will need to turn it on to keep warm etc.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It's the same thing that would happen if a lot of people idled their cars to empty. How do you get them all to the station? It's a bit of a hypothetical stretch. An EV, at max heat output, will last about 12 hours. If you moderate that to a more reasonable temp you could lengthen that time dramatically.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It’s not the same.

Bringing a can of gas to a person is super easy, how easy is it to charge up a person stranded on the highway?

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Snowstorm coming today, plowtruck almost on empty. Went to Jubilee to get potatoes and gas for the plow truck, went inside to shop first and when we went out and gassed up the cans to dump into the truck, gas had just dropped five cents in the time we went into the store. How lucky is that, it usually is the opposite way for me. The guy pumping the gas mentioned they just lowered the price fifteen minutes before I stopped there.

I thought it was supposed to be going up not down.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Bringing a can of gas to a person is super easy, how easy is it to charge up a person stranded on the highway?

Bringing a can of gas to a person is easy, bringing them to a traffic jam is not. Unless you think people are going to get stuck for a full day it's kind of a very big hypothetical stretch. Can it happen? Yeah. But if it happens to a bunch of ICE vehicles in the snow you might have the same exact problem.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I forget what its called but there is a huge car convention that happens a couple months before CES and almost all of the new cars here were electric. Personally not a fan of them...but you are right...they are going that route like its or not.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
I forget what its called but there is a huge car convention that happens a couple months before CES and almost all of the new cars here were electric. Personally not a fan of them...but you are right...they are going that route like its or not.

The LV Auto Show? It was back in August if I recall. We typically don't do the auto shows as they are too industry-specific but CES had an entire automotive hall which made sense in a broader scope.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: carewemust

Just watch what happens to the electric car industry after China takes Taiwan.

Something is already upside down in that industry. Used cars cost more than new cars (of the same model) here in the Midwest.

I think that might be because of dealership markups.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I am having to drive 375 miles to another state to get a car I ordered. I found a dealer that will sell it at "invoice" which is about $6k off the MSRP. The only downside is I have to travel to get it and I've been waiting since last October. I may not get the car till May or June realistically.

Otherwise, the local dealers are screwing anyone who wants to buy this hard to find Jeep off the lot with upwards of $20k "ADMs" or associated dealer markups.

Limited supply and a lot of dumb money floating around is driving up prices on everything.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Haven't you seen those portable ev charging stations that run off gas LMAO

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: LSU2018

As of right now, that's correct. Once the majority of Americans depend on them, the prices will likely skyrocket.

For the chargers?

For the electricity used. Whether it's at a charging station formerly known as a gas station, or at your home where electric bills will double or triple.

If I'm left with no choice but to buy an EV, I'll be that guy who straps my obnoxiously loud 7500 watt generator in the bed with the truck plugged into it, putting out more toxic fumes in one 30 minute trip to work than my V8 does in probably 6 months of driving.

Good comparison of EV vs Gas Ownership: www.caranddriver.com...

They used to factor in the cost of replacing the Fuel Cell every 4 year, but that hurdle may have been overcome now.

I'm sure they overcame that hurdle by deciding not to mention it any longer, but I bet battery replacement is even less than 4 years if you're a traveler or drive fairly long distances every day and have to recharge daily or twice daily. Plus, every brand is struggling to meet current demands so their lackluster attempts to put new cars together is another factor all on its own. Once the government can get the majority of people stuck in EV's, the price of electricity is going to shoot through the roof. Just watch. There is nothing beneficial about an all electric car unless you drive 10 miles a day.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: LSU2018

For the electricity used. Whether it's at a charging station formerly known as a gas station, or at your home where electric bills will double or triple.

Energy demands are rising globally.

What's the difference between bolstering an existing eletric grid and satisfying fossil fuel demand? Both have the same inherent problem.

I think many people try to pick a side based off of politics. Weigh out the product, challenges, and prices.

Both have pros and cons. We need to let the market decide and stop insisting the federal government play a large role.

Keeping both options available would be a great way to let people weigh their options and decide. I have no problem with an electric vehicle being manufactured, my problem is when I'm pushed to buy one and these companies begin to slowly phase out what I prefer.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 04:22 PM
link   

For the electricity used.

I don't see it skyrocketing.

The government is going to get their share of the profits. You're cray cray if you think things will remain the same when there's money to be stolen from the all new nationwide electric vehicles hitting the road.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Seems like a quick charge would damage your batteries faster, too. I'm sure that's all part of their plan though.

You might want to look into that.

How can I look into that with a poorly assembled all electric 2022 vehicle?

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 04:27 PM
link   

But it's constantly using battery power if you're sitting in traffic using your A/C or heat, listening to the radio, etc.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: JAGStorm

Ehhh EV is not just for the rich anymore.
With that said how does the EV market get that energy???
Kinda makes one think?!

Let me tell you something else from experience, when an electric or hybrid vehicle “glitches” its one of the scariest things you can experience.

ANY computer glitch in a moving vehicle is the scariest thing we can experience, honestly. And all we have is a computered up Tahoe with a sensor chip glitch.

You do NOT want to suddenly drop to 25 & not be able to go any faster on the highway. I'm not sure who was #ting more, us or the folks in other cars.

And those replacement chips are enough $ right now to make you sob in mourning of said money.

We'll be shopping for a pre-computerization vehicle this year & will eventually offload this one. Fun while it lasted, but in reality, techified cars are not worth it for us.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I would happily travel a thousand miles to save $6-26k.

I know that doesn't make it right but at least you get the satisfaction of beating the scalpers.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, but if gas goes to $7, expect diesel (the stuff that makes and moves the goods) to be multiple dollars more.

And we thought there were shortages and inflation now...

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 05:34 PM
link   

The government is going to get their share of the profits.

The government taxes fuel now.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join