It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$7 Gallon gas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:48 AM
link   
There are multiple articles this morning all saying the same thing… Don’t freak out when you see gas that is 7 dollars a gallon!
You know what that tells me, it will really get closer to 10!!

What would that look like for our economy?
Right now a lot of people are working from home. Will this be the push for more people (that can) to work from home?
Will this cause more disruption to finding employees for jobs that are in person. I know some places here are actually now offering a private shuttle because people can’t or won’t drive.

Car sales are absolutely insane, worse I’ve ever seen it in my lifetime.

I think many of us have been saying these things for the last 2 years, I hope people are listening now.
Get your gardens ready, get things that have longevity (clothing, tools, supplies)
When gas prices get like this, everything is passed onto the consumer, everything!

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Pepperidge Farms remembers when the US was energy independent and the world's largest producer under Trump.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I think it's inevitable that gas reaches those prices.

Many are going to jump straight to politics... But the reality is the third world is going through a boom.

Huge swaths of people are being pulled from the dollar a day mark, and we're seeing markets of 1b people start becoming vehicle owners or hooking their house up to the grid.

China, India, pacific Island countries, Africa, South America.

Western nations used to have close to exclusivity in this regard, and we're seeing consumer products reach accessible prices for the majority of humanity.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Pepperidge Farms remembers when the US was energy independent and the world's largest producer under Trump.

before that guy comes along to challenge your assertion, there is this:

www.dailywire.com...

The U.S. has exported an average of 7.4 billion cubic feet a day of gas in November, more than the 7 billion cubic feet a day it has imported, according to S&P Global Platts, an energy trade publisher and data provider. Exports also topped imports for a few days in September, Platts reported. It has been nearly 60 years since the U.S. last shipped out more natural gas than it brought in annually, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Not by definition "energy independent", but we were in a much better place then, than we are now, thanks to some very key poor decisions.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

No matter how much we produce though, the externalities can still drive up our prices.

If the rest of the world is paying $10 a gallon, maybe we get the shipping cost of that ten subtracted out. But we're still at the mercy of global prices.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I don't think it will ever get that high, there are more and more EV vehicles and manufacturers coming out and existing automakers have timelines to go full EV. Basic economics says that fuel prices will decrease as demand decreases.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Just told my brother yesterday, $10 gas by end of summer. He didn't think so, I said I guess we'll wait and see.

I also had the hoodlum neighbor kids on 4 wheelers driving up and down the street at 11pm last night so I'll take the good with the bad.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I don't think it will ever get that high, there are more and more EV vehicles and manufacturers coming out and existing automakers have timelines to go full EV. Basic economics says that fuel prices will decrease as demand decreases.

EV vehicles are for the rich. The battery replacement is too costly for the average consumer. Maybe if that goes down it will be more plausible. Electric prices are also through the roof so there is no real advantage.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
EV vehicles are for the rich. The battery replacement is too costly for the average consumer. Maybe if that goes down it will be more plausible. Electric prices are also through the roof so there is no real advantage.

Whether you see the advantage or not the roadmap is in place. At the last CES show in January the automotive hall was filled with EV manufactures and also EV vehicles by the ICE manufacturers. They're coming, it's inevitable.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Then they'll charge just as much or more to allow people to charge their car on the road.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
Then they'll charge just as much or more to allow people to charge their car on the road.

The third party charging market is looking to be highly competitive at this point with many companies not normally associated with EV charging either manufacturing or partnering with manufacturers. There is also a very healthy home charging sector so if you are commuting you would not need to use a third party.

Just letting you know the landscape from someone who is on the inside of a lot of this.

link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Whether you see the advantage or not the roadmap is in place. At the last CES show in January the automotive hall was filled with EV manufactures and also EV vehicles by the ICE manufacturers. They're coming, it's inevitable.

totally off topic here, but have we (the collective we) figured out what to do with the batteries once they die? Throw them into the ocean off the coast of Japan?

link   

Ehhh EV is not just for the rich anymore.
With that said how does the EV market get that energy???
Kinda makes one think?!

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
totally off topic here, but have we (the collective we) figured out what to do with the batteries once they die? Throw them into the ocean off the coast of Japan?

The plans that I saw were to repurpose them for home use coupled with solar as the demand on them is not as intensive as if they were installed in a vehicle. After that I am not sure.

You know who I work for so you're aware I have no reason to embellish this.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

They're working on solid state batteries, lithium alternatives, and fuel cells (like natural gas).

But, there's going to have to be an initial selling of products to fund the future R&D. They used existing tech got proof of concept and demand, now hopefully innovation.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Kinda makes one think?!

It is for the rich. Intro may seem comparable to gas cars but when you figure in repairs it’s at another level, much higher than even luxury vehicles. I know I had one. There is no way the average consumer will be able to manage it. What will happen is that people will have to “mortgage” their cars if this becomes mainstream.

Let me tell you something else from experience, when an electric or hybrid vehicle “glitches” its one of the scariest things you can experience.

Battery replacement for electric vehicles can run up to 20K,,,, yes just for the battery!

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:27 AM
link   

And if you lease it with a warranty? I haven't purchased a daily driver in two decades, they are all leases so I don't have to worry about repairs, maintenance and upkeep.

edit on 21-2-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Let's Go CHINA!

How China Dominates Global Battery Supply Chain

www.voanews.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Kinda makes one think?!

From the electric grid which is already stretched thin, witness rolling blackouts in CA all the time.

The grid won't be able to handle it is what many predict and rolling blackouts will become the norm for a long time.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Back in October the station in Gorda, CA, hit something like $7.50/gallon. For whatever reason I guess that station is a good metric for where the national average is headed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join