It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Traveller Caught on 1928 Charlie Chaplin Film?

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It fades out to an Elephant

like the Idiom "Elephant in the room"

seems apt because it's obvious..... but it shouldn't be
kind of

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Seems a lot of coincidence involved if a hearing aid, you are supposed to listen with them, not talk back to them. The clip is supposed to be of the premier of the film outside of the Manns Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, CA.The sign in view seems to show that. Whether or not it is actually the new film, (Circus 2008) 10mins, using an original camera by and featuring, Eugene Chaplin and work by Carlo Piaget both these scenes include the use of a mobile phone. In the new film a mobile 'phone is part of the plot. A list on the dvd collections indicates both outtakes, and 12mins of unspecified film from the Chaplin private collection.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Gloster

He might be chewing gum but im sure its gum from the future if its not a cell phone

CHEWING GUM...has no one else said this yet? That is brilliant...I guess she could be eating something as well.

I don't think anyone has said this yet...good job.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Great find indeed, I believe that in the Old days Radio people always talked with one hand covering their Ear, Perhaps they were rehearsing a line before show time.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

unless it was part of easing people into it.... disclosure of sorts.

I aint saying its a time traveler
But I have adored this thread!!!! Great old fashioned ATS cooky thread, thanks members!

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Gloster

He might be chewing gum but im sure its gum from the future if its not a cell phone

CHEWING GUM...has no one else said this yet? That is brilliant...I guess she could be eating something as well.

I don't think anyone has said this yet...good job.

LOL how hysterical if the poor old duck was just finishing her lunch! and cleaning the last bit from her teeth
picking hehehhe

edit on 22-10-2010 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Where I come from,"cupping" is farting into your hand and putting it into a friends face.
Cupping.

Were there no "Walkie Talkie's" back then?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
When I first read this, I thought oh here we go again with another story from the TARDIS, but no, this has genuinly facinated me.

I showed the video to my husband this afternoon in full screen, without him knowing ANYTHING about this, and asked him what he thought the man was doing. He said straight away, no qualms, he's on a cell phone.

Now I've done a bit of research on the motorola thing myself, BIG conencidence that this company began it's life in 1928. Perhaps Charlie Chaplin had come across some sketchy ideas, some of the ideas of William Lear perhaps? Being in the 'top circles' may well have given him access to something like this, someone's future dream? Just like we picture the future consisting of flying cars & cities under the ocean doesn't mean we actualy have them, but we know of their concepts.

I'm sure whoever was thinking about mobile communication must have had some of these then far fetched dreams & ideas, put them in the hands of a movie maker & you might just get something like this.

But then there is always the chance this man is indeed from the future, which then boggles my mind as to how it would be possible to communicate via a cellular device in a time where there weren't even any antenna to support the signal over decades! How would that be possible? if any science & math people fancy trying to explain that to me in English I might be more receptive to the idea!

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by turk182
reply to post by boondock-saint

Where I come from,"cupping" is farting into your hand and putting it into a friends face.
Cupping.

Were there no "Walkie Talkie's" back then?

The first walkie talkie was invented in 1940, so no, not for quite a while.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seventytwo
It fades out to an Elephant

like the Idiom "Elephant in the room"

seems apt because it's obvious..... but it shouldn't be
kind of

Could well be the "Elephant in the room" Seventy. Fade or rather scene dissolve is not something I notice in the actual film, why they bothered to use the expensive Douglass? camera for this clip of the premiere and not in the film itself is anybody's guess.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by scott,aussie
well i think it could be she/he was walking down the street and seen the camera pointing her way and put her hand up to cover her face (and she/he prob had something in her hand at the time ?) so she/he wasent noticed on film and becouse she wasnt happy about being seen on film she was cursing to herself, think about it !!!!!!!!!

or shes got an ear ace and moveing her mouth up and down to try relive some of the presure have a think about that to.

i couldnt be botherd writeing it again, GREAT THREAD ZAZZA

i think some of use should read the thread properly

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Chez
But then there is always the chance this man is indeed from the future, which then boggles my mind as to how it would be possible to communicate via a cellular device in a time where there weren't even any antenna to support the signal over decades! How would that be possible? if any science & math people fancy trying to explain that to me in English I might be more receptive to the idea!

Reminds me of a scene in an episode of Star Trek : Voyager where Capt. Janeway is trying to explain to (an holographic version of Da Vinci) who for all intense and purpose thinks he's real and can only evaluate things as he sees it from his point of view and understanding and his level of education whereas Capt. Janeway tells him to trust her as that what appears to him to be nothing more than magic, illusion and tricks of the light, is in reality old and antiquated technology to her.

He trusts her and is astounded at what he sees, hears and learns, in the same way as us as we are now. In the video it looks like a mobile phone (approximate size), but only because the person in the video is holding in a manner we in our current time have become accustomed to or grown to accept as normal behaviour - bluetooth headsets aside.

The thing is back in 1986 / 87 when mobile phones first started (to filter into the hands of us mere mortals) they were house bricks and theres no denying that but technology grew and the handsets got smaller, but did they stay small ? No they did not, they incorporated this, that and the other and grew larger again to a point where they couldn't anymore.

Technology advanced again and they grew smaller until their next expansion so they got a little bit bigger, and here we are again e.g look at some of the current Blackberry models a bit bulky & cumbersome but they will evolve.

So who is to say that if the object he/she is holding is a communication device why shouldn't it resemble maybe just maybe the size and dimensions of the antiquated communication devices that we use (even though we consider what we have now as cutting edge) and we only understand and only evaluate things as we see it from our point of view and understanding at our current level.

edit on 22-10-2010 by excelents because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-10-2010 by excelents because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-10-2010 by excelents because: Updating

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by itbenickp

People keep going on about cell phones and masts etc....obviously these people haven't been reading through the threads that have already been left over the last day or so by other people......so sick of reading repeated stuff over and over again.......surely people must read what has gone before to make any kind of comment....bring something new to the table guys, think outside the box a little bit. Don't always put todays technology into something which may not even be used or exist anymore in the future, which would enable folks to go back in time without having to rely on todays set up and technology.......

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by all answers exist

Originally posted by OldDragger

I'd like to see the original movie. Does it seem very likley that Chaplin would film this guy talking on a strange device and nobody would inquire what he was doing? Wouldn't even be curious?
Something fishy here.

the two thing I can't figure out is she/he looked at the camera, 1st rule in filming/acting never look into the camera and he is clearly talking with someone, an not talking to loudly as it appears, which one would do if they were talking to anyone next to them on a film set that is live and people are walking back and forth (no one is with in hearing distance)

I'm pretty sure the guy in the video said that this was from "Extra Footage" on the disk, and was footage of people going to see the premiere of the movie. I do not believe it is from the actual movie itself. If so, the person was 'caught on tape' perhaps unaware until he/she turned and saw the camera.

Here's a fun idea... it's Charlie himself from the future, coming back to see his own movie's premiere for pure sentimental reasons. But he has to dress in disguise (for obvious reasons) and is caught quite off guard by a someone filming attendees walking towards the premiere. But what can he do? Snatch the camera away? Naw, no one will ever notice/figure it out, he thinks. So he keeps on walking. The rest is history!

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think she is covering her ear because it is cold. Perhaps the wind is blowing from that direction and she doesn't want to get an ear infection. She is probably talking to the man in front of her who is paying no attention...nothing unusual about that.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

this is silly, and she is not holding a cell phone. pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Zazz...

After a full night of sleep and a days worth of running around, obsessing over this, my theory still stands.

This is an untrained extra, acting in a produced "pick up shot" who is talking while taking direction and trying to hide the fact that he/she/it is talking by the raising of a hand...

Though I think I am dead on by thinking that this is not an old woman, but a young Ernest Borgnine working his first gig.

OR

It is hoaxed to some degree or another. Still holding onto that possibility.

All in all, though, I still love the Zazz's thread!

~Heff

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I'd vote ear/tooth ache, or handheld hearing aid, music box, or Jimminy Cricket in a box.
BUT !!!....They did switch to camera 3 when she/he stopped.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The Circus was released in Jan. 1928 at Mann's Chinese Theater in Los Angeles Ca.
I checked the weather records for Jan 1928 and the coldest temp recorded during that month was 51.4 degrees.
www.wrh.noaa.gov...

So after reflecting on this I no longer believe she was covering ear because she was cold...However, she could still be covering it to keep the wind out. Lots of people are susceptible to ear infections.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
sorry, I smell bull#.
- maybe this woman is just holding her hand to her ear for whatever reason.
maybe she´s just hiding from the camera
- there were no cell phone towers then, so..
- maybe the guy with the video just wants to promote his thing..

cheers

new topics

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join