It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 499
<< 496  497  498    500  501  502 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
For those of you that visit the RSOE site, it has listed Yellowstone on it's list with a 'watch' status with the details pending.

Anyone have any more info on a status change?

here is a link:

RSOE
\
scroll down to the volcano section!

Didn't that happen at one point last year, too? It's important to remember that RSOE is not a USGS site and doesn't necessarily follow their protocols. The official status would be reflected on the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory site which has never changed from alert level Normal color code Green.

RSOE is kind of fun but sometimes they will list hazards that are teeny tiny little local news stories of little significance.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

I just noticed something odd and thought I would point it out.

In the video that Shirakawa posted, there are a lot of sharp, quick earthquakes you can hear.

But, at exactly 2:15 you can hear this really low "bummm" that goes on for a bit.

See if you hear the same.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Lots of busy, not much boom

I like it that way.
M.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
How big was that last one? Was it strange or is it just me. Nothing showing up. Looked big enough to be 2.5?
It was a small one with a bunch of little ones so it won't show up. The pony express might be a better system. Paul Revere could cry the out. Wer're here guessing instead of knowing. So much for freedom of information. It ain't the case with the USGS.
I just noticed that quakewatcher.
thanks
and just when I start to relax and think things would quiet down. Maybe this is a sign of that. It's interesting even if you think it in decline, because it can surprise you.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Robin Marks]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
If you saw it come in on GEE (where it is a little more spread out) you can see that it was one, probably a 1.8 or so, followed by a series of smaller ones in very rapid succession.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I am a lurker here. I read all the posts, and at the same time I do research on them. I have been following yellowstone for about 6 months now. This recent earthquake swarm, and other events around the world, all happening in the same week is very strange. I have also been doing a lot of research on 2012 ( yes I know, roll your eyes) but, it does seem that things are falling into place, like honestly, how many times can you pass it off as coincidence? Anyways, thats not why I am posting here. I wanted to point out something. It seems that yellowstone is the center of attention, with good cause yes, but, it is not the only caldera that is active and stirring. A mere few hundred miles away, we have another. Two actually. Crater lake in oregon, and long valley california. Among a few others. I think you should all look into those as well. I believe we will see more quakes in 2010 than we have in a long time, and I said this to friends and family, a few months ago. Remember the last time the sun was in its solar maximum? We had severe hurricane weather, and major earthquakes causing the tsunami which killed 150,000 people. Now, the sun wakes up for the last week, and we have a quake in haiti, a yellowstone swarm, quakes in argentina, and really weird weather patterns all over the world. Freezing in florida? Warm in vancouver? Deep freeze in England? Severe storms in cali? The sun has gone a bit quieter over the past24 hours, and we haven't seen to much major happen today. But the real question is, what will happen when the solar maximum comes around, and it's possible could be stronger than the last one. Is it enough to awaken a ticking time bomb thats 40,000 years overdue? Or is it possible the mayans are right, and this alignment with the milky way is correct, and all the energy on earth will be unleashed. Is it so hard to believe that every volcano and fault line in the world could erupt and quake at the same time? I know these questions are unanwerable, and far fetched, but global warming is not caused by humans, every planet in the solar system is experiencing it. Something is happening beyond our control. But how long will it take to play out? another 1000 years? it could be really slow, or it could happen overnight. When yellowstone erupts, we all die, there is no doubt about that. The world will go black. I think it would be a good idea to spend quality time with family and loved ones, at least until we know 2012 isn't real. I have done a lot of research on 2012 and found most of it to be bull#. But I cannot prove the solar cycle, nor the mayans mathmatics of the alignment wrong. Yellowstone is certainly a threat, waiting to be provoked. Things are happening we can't explain, and blame us for global warming, which is just a money grab. They tell you to go green, but charge twice as much for things that cost even less to make lol. Anyways, I hope yellowstone or any other volcano/caldera doesn't wake up. But it would be nice to a know a little in advance if it is going to, so you can have a chance to understand and say goodbye.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
another one at 04:09

looks like a 3.5 or so

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
So far, USGS says 3.0

Date-Time
Friday, January 22, 2010 at 04:09:02 UTC
Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 09:09:02 PM at epicenter
Depth
9.1 km (5.7 miles)
Region
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
Distances
16 km (10 miles) SE (136°) from West Yellowstone, MT
30 km (19 miles) ENE (77°) from Island Park, ID
57 km (35 miles) NNE (29°) from Warm River, ID
430 km (267 miles) N (10°) from Salt Lake City, UT
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 0.8 km (0.5 miles)
Parameters
NST= 33, Nph= 33, Dmin=12 km, Rmss=0.18 sec, Gp= 68°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=2
Source
University of Utah Seismograph Stations
Event ID
uu00001250

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 21-1-2010 by quakewatcher]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Shirakawa are you lurking?

What do you make of the weird looking things coming through on GEE right now? (4:49 UTC)

I'm getting spooked. I've probably just been looking at this for too long.

Edited to say: well, there was just one of them. You know that old comedy bit where if you feel something weird on one side of your body you are worried but if you feel two you are relieved? Kind of like that, but in reverse. Maybe it was just noise. Anyway, no series of blimpy things so nothing to see here.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
the only way you can make sense out of GEE ( at least to me ) is to make sure you select enough corresponding stations around LKWY....

The more stations an event shows up on and how intense it appears on the outlying areas will give you some sort of rough estimate as to size..

a 3.0 for me will show on H17A,H18A and I17A.. I never get any data anymore from LKWY.

the main point for me is H17A, that one shows the events clearer... depending on how much they show up on the others allows of a general guess as to amplitude.

right now H17A is showing a lot of local stuff that the others are not and it has been for some time now

edit: I do not believe anything serious is happening, this is a learning experience for me.... and its fun too

[edit on 21-1-2010 by RickinVa]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I know I stopped hitting F5.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RickinVa

Thanks, Rick.

I am looking at H17A now, as well. I've just had YMC (originally said YMR, I mean YMC) going since it's been non-stop fireworks there since the swarm started. Good to see it from another perspective.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Another larger one.

3.0 - duration magnitude (Md)
Time Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 10:38:40 PM (MST)
Friday, January 22, 2010 at 5:38:40 (UTC)
Distance from West Yellowstone, MT - 12 km (8 miles) SE (129 degrees)
Island Park, ID - 30 km (18 miles) ENE (69 degrees)
Gardiner, MT - 54 km (33 miles) SSW (204 degrees)
Warm River, ID - 59 km (37 miles) NNE (26 degrees)
Salt Lake City, UT - 433 km (269 miles) N (10 degrees)
Coordinates 44 deg. 35.6 min. N (44.593N), 110 deg. 59.2 min. W (110.987W)
Depth 0.1 km (0.1 miles)
Location Quality Fair
Location Quality Parameters Nst= 38, Nph= 38, Dmin=9 km, Rmss=0.84 sec, Erho=1.4 km, Erzz=34.1 km, Gp=28.8 degrees
Event ID# uu00001268

Looked larger than a 3.0 to me (not counting the other quakes immediately after) maybe it will be revised up.

Already revised up to a 3.1

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
seems like the ole girl is getting more active rather than slowing down,,,

some theories think that a lot of small quakes releases pressure... while this is most likely true of plate tetonics.... no one really knows the workings of warning signs of a super volcano,,, good stuff ( as long as it never blows )

that one showed up nicely across the sites I am monitoring

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Officially that last one is a 3.1 followed by a 2.3 about 9 seconds later, which is why it looks much bigger on the webicorders.

YMR is just going nuts at the moment. All low magnitude stuff but constant.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Another one

3.1 mag @ 10:55 PM check usgs website for further details

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The interesting thing about these last two reported quakes is that they are sitting directly on the rim, if the map is accurate. The others have been slightly inside the caldera.

link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

That 2.3 actually occurred 9 minutes ago.

It is probably just me but it seems that the rumbles are lasting a little longer after the past few quakes. It seems like there was a constant rumble between the 3.1 and the 2.3.

Anyone else see this?

link   
reply to post by muse7

Followed by a 2.9.

Last 3 quakes on equake are from YS. I love watching it rumble.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
If you look at H17A..... its very active and has been for hours now.
What it means, if anything, is unknown

<< 496  497  498    500  501  502 >>

join