It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 502
<< 499  500  501    503  504  505 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

You would probably know this. If I'm correct, the data is sent by sattelite, the satelite could have stopped recieving or sending for a moment. I think it's totally technical in nature.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Thanks for the replys guys that would make sense

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
For those who were concerned, the UUSS has revised the M3.1/0.1 Km depth earthquake to M3.0/8.4 Km:

www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

This is probably a dumb question, but why is the initial information that's released always wrong? Why do they always tweak it a bit? How do you go from .1 to 8.4km?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

The initial report is computer-generated, and frequently gets a few details wrong. Then a human comes along and reviews it, correcting the mistakes the computer made. Nothing sinister or suspicious about it. Just look at the event itself (click on the date/time) and see if it says it's been reviewed. It not, or if there's a high level of uncertainty in the location measurements, don't believe it.

I think I need to make this post a macro or something... seems like someone asks about this every other page...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Just had another nice sized one with an aftershock on GEE.

Probably 2 .5-2.7

Edit to add: Is it my imagination (finally downloaded GEE and am playing with it)....was there some constant 'rumblings' for several minutes before the last quake?

[edit on 22-1-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I am extremely new to this site/thread. It has been very educational and I appreciate the words of experience and understanding. Thank you.

Currently I am wondering, did it just disappear? Poof over?

To my extremely untrained eye it appears as if the activity according to Univ. Utah seismographs has slowed considerably but not stopped. Yet the earthquake reports on usgs yellowstone site have stopped.

Any wisdom?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ymm13

No, it's not over. Sometime the reports are slow to catch up with the activity.

Go to this website: University of Utah Seismo

Click on YMR thumbnail...it is where all the action is!! (near real-time)

[edit on 22-1-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
YMM13 if you would like download GEE, Global Earthquake Explorer. There is plenty of activity to be seen around Yellowstone.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Thank you for the - I'm not crazy confirmation.

I guess I misunderstood the "updated every 5 minutes or once an hour" comments. I thought they meant just that.
I am now maybe understanding that they mean 'sometimes' they update that often other times not. I was trying to resolve the incongruity betwixt what I witnessed on the YMR on what I saw on the recent earthquakes map/list.

Slow to update and your confirmation of activity does it for me. Thank you very much.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
ore use this link..
www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Something has changed in the wavelength on GEE (H17A) starting at 21:08:50

It doesn't look like a quake, but I don't know enough about it to understand it. Anyone able to interrept? Looks like it ended at 21:13:00

Is that what wind or local 'noise' looks like?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I am relatively new to watching earthquakes but my best guess with be elevated noise. It is not a earthquake.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Thank you for visiting this years event of Yellowstones activity, See you at the next swarm... enjoy the summer
Hmmmm. maybe this guy is right.
...................................Maybe

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ymm13

If you want to know why the UofU has changed their policy without notice, read this page..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Well I appreciate you sharing.
I'm kind of a hard facts type of person. I certainly don't know that they have in fact changed their policy. It may be a catching up issue.
My jury is also out on the censoring issue in two ways; I don't have any idea of whether or not they are with holding information or the timely release of information, I also don't know if I necessarily think all censorship is bad. At the least there is certainly an argument to be made for with holding quake information that has not been reviewed and may cause unwarranted panic or lethargy. Additionally, considering the seismographs so many are watching are also theirs that may throw a wrench in the idea of censoring.

The individual doing the cumulative energy charts is pretty darn good. It will be interesting to see the comparison to last year which was a reported to be = 4.0.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Question... on this map www.seis.utah.edu...
at the top is date and number of quakes, I keep reloading the page and the quake count goes up but there is nothing updating on the list under the map. Last quake shown was a .08

It went to about 276 to 291 quakes in about 20 minutes.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I've analyzed it in detail; that looked like a distant earthquake (>350 Km) but there wasn't nothing corresponding listed on the USGS world earthquake list. I'm not sure, it also seems a bit different than usual earthquakes too.

It could have been a mine blast.

By the way, as the UUSS is updating their earthquakes list, I am updating too my activity charts, and they, in my opinion, show an interesting parabolic pattern (rise-peak-fall). I think activity is definitely slowing down, but that's also clear from webicorders.

[edit on 2010-1-22 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
Question... on this map www.seis.utah.edu...
at the top is date and number of quakes, I keep reloading the page and the quake count goes up but there is nothing updating on the list under the map. Last quake shown was a .08

It went to about 276 to 291 quakes in about 20 minutes.

It just raised to 302.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Now its at 307... the list I think is only updated every so often.. this is not looking good, seems like a new quake every minute!

<< 499  500  501    503  504  505 >>

join