It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 501
<< 498  499  500    502  503  504 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Thanks I just added it to my favorites and I love this stuff I just don't understand it to well. But I do understand the implications of Yellowstone blowing it's top.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

I'm just an amateur observer, too
but have learned so much from this thread since joining it over a year ago.

I'm not into all this 2012 malarkey, just been following weather and quakes etc for a number of years and feel, gut instinct I'm afraid, that "something's up". I'm afraid that's as scientific as I get in that respect. Otherwise, I just love observing, reporting and listening to all the others on this thread. ATS also does a great job of keeping threads "on topic".

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Is This Thing On

That's one of my favourite sites, a fellow ATS'er as well (Thought Provoker, I think)
I'm not sure if it has changed but that site only updates every 30 minutes or 10 or 20 - I can't remember the exact time but it is to save bandwidth. It is a brilliant site to visit.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Ape_Man]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Ape_Man

Oh, nice one thoughtprovoker!

It updates if you hit refresh a lot - like I do ! ;0)

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

But it makes sense that the closer to the surface the greater the threat right?

In a general way, I believe so, especially if it's caused by magma intrusions (magma suddenly filling up empty cracks in the rock). That's virtually the definition of a volcanic eruption: a magma intrusion that suddenly breaks through to the surface. But if it's just fault lines grinding together, or hot water getting pushed around, it's nothing to worry about in an eruptive sense. Unless the water flashes into steam while trapped underground, in which case it'll make its own hole to the surface very quickly. Hydrothermal eruptions have always been fairly common at Yellowstone, though. Again, too many variables.

The one sign that I would truly watch for is harmonic tremors, caused by magma shooting through cracks in the bedrock and making it vibrate. Magma on the move is the real worry, even if it doesn't "erupt." The caldera is covered with lava flows from only a few thousand years ago, when there was no eruption. It just leaked a lot, but slowly. If that happened now, it'd probably entomb the park, but the rest of the world would be just fine.

We just don't know, in brief. We have no observations of similar events to go on. We only know that, if it erupts suddenly, the bottomless pit of fire will open up and the sun will turn black and the moon will turn to blood and the sky will be filled with "falling stars" and a third of the plants and animals could die and there'd be starvation and strife and conflict and- why does this all sound familiar... something about a sixth seal or something...

Hm.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ape_Man
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Is This Thing On

That's one of my favourite sites, a fellow ATS'er as well (Thought Provoker, I think)
I'm not sure if it has changed but that site only updates every 30 minutes or 10 or 20 - I can't remember the exact time but it is to save bandwidth. It is a brilliant site to visit.

Why, thank you.
The seismometer images are updated in a constant cycle with a delay calculated so that none of them is more than half an hour old. So it refreshes one, waits a few minutes, gets the next one, etcetera. But sometimes, Time Warner cuts me off and things fall behind until I can get it going again. Every two hours, at ten minutes past the hour, my server has to reconnect, leading to a minute or two of downtime. Then there are the times when they keep my cable modem from using its current IP address, and I have to get a new one. That sometimes makes the image updater stop working until I restart that, too. If I had an extra few hundreds bucks a month, I'd host the site at a real colocation facility. But I don't, and I refuse to put ads all over it, ever. I wonder why TW hates people with servers so much; it's not like it takes a huge amount of bandwidth...

So be patient with it if it goes down for a while (like while I'm at work, it's like they know my schedule) or you see "mysql connection error" or the daythumbs page stops updating. I'll notice and fix it eventually. Or you can email me and tell me it's down. My address is all over the site. And thanks for watching.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
upload.wikimedia.org...

See above for example of what harmonic tremors will look like...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

No worries mate. You are doing what I wish I could. Keep up the good work.

On another note - look another quake. This time a 2.5.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

For any new lurkers, this is some great entertainment on the Yellowstone Super Volcano!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Is MCID busier than usual?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Hi I new to this site.
I have been interested in yellowstone for many years. I have usgs earthquake on my main page, so Im able to check it everyday.
I am a novice so I have many more questions than answers.
I have a question for anyone out there.
I'm curious if the park rangers at yellowstone monitor animal behavior when these swarms occure. I have read alittle about animals predicting events such as earthquakes. Does anyone know anything about yellowstone animal behavior or could direct me to a website that talks about it. I have thought that maybe they wouldn't give out this information since it is not (real) science. But I wonder if someone still might be monitoring it.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by crappiekat]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
During last year's swarm (the catalyst for this thread) there was much observation by members of the wildlife - I'm not sure how to search a thread but I am sure some were discussing the movements of herds of moose (I think it was moose!) - you could try searching. Some were tracking, via webcams around the park, the movements of herds. You could also check out the Yellowstone newsletter www.yellowstoneinsider.com...

Here's a really interesting article on NatGeo about animal behavior before quakes.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

[edit on 22-1-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Yes I read that article and others in the like. As the article states, More research needs to be done in this area.
That is why I have been searching all over and asking others.
Their are so many possibilities to the awareness of animals. Which way they run, do they run and how far etc.
I have even tried to contact people at yellowstone but got no real response.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
madison river is really jumpy this morning...(this is where they had the massive earth slide in the 50's)

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I was just thinking how much YMR was quietening down, actually, compared with the last couple of days!!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Happy 500 pages everybody!!!

I thought she was about to calm down and we get a double tap.

Funny, I thought Shirakawa would have a video to show that there is no magma movement.

Regular faulting can happen very shallow. It doesn't necessarily mean magma is rising. Even on the webicorders you would see a steady noise on the graphs. I don't see it. Just lots of quakes. At this point I believe we have more earthquakes than last year. I'll leave it for Shirakawa's graph to see if we've beat the culmutive energy yet. Hard to do with lots of quakes not reported on the list. And on the weekend we'll get no information except 2.5+ listed automatically on the big USGS list.

The media releasees worked. They were in front of the story and lulled the public back to sleep. Except we here. There are maybe ten percent of the stories which developed last year. Media control. "The medium is the message." Control the spin. Good job. YVO, UofU. No one is paying attenion. You've done your job.

It seems that YMR is temporarily offline. It may have broke from the strenuous workout of the last week.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Robin Marks]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Unfortunately earthquake data hasn't changed much since yesterday. Hopefully at the end of this working day we will have something more complete.

I think seismic activity is definitely calming down.
However, as it already occurred in past swarms, there might be a new burst anytime soon.

Try looking at these images in sequence for a general panoramic of the seismic activity occurred in this earthquake swarm:

theinterveners.org...
theinterveners.org...
theinterveners.org...
theinterveners.org...
theinterveners.org...
theinterveners.org...

[edit on 2010-1-22 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Seems YS needed a small break for around a minute and a half at 14:36 UTC.
First I thought it was a glitch but it is reflected on all the active graphs so more an oddity.

Good job btw guys and girls.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I have been reading this thread for a few weeks now and watching this latest swarm intently, looking at the webicoders @ 2:36 UTC there is an anomalous flat line appearing on most (if not all). Does anyone know what this signifies if anything at all? Its just ive not seen anything like it before simultainiosly on numorous webicoders.

P.S it happened right after the 2.5 @ 2:33 UTC as documented on the USGS site

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by coffeesniffer

That's just a webicorder/telemetry glitch.
Nothing to be worried about, I think.

[edit on 2010-1-22 by Shirakawa]

<< 498  499  500    502  503  504 >>

join