It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What am I missing with regard to SCOTUS roe v wade thing?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

That's the appropriate reaction to abortion: heartbreak and disgust.

Someone close to me had two abortions. One as a teen, and the other in her mid twenties before she had life figured out and became more settled.

TO THIS DAY it still hurts her deeply and was actually inhibiting her from having children over the guilt of making up for the ones she lost. No bueno.

Point is, abortion isn't some rites of passage. The fact that "the machine" has got you ladies feeling proud to have an abortion is truly sickening.

Cheering, boasting, hugs of support, words of encouragement....

Encouragement? Really??

I would NEVER be with a woman like that. I often think about the casual sex I had during those years of heightened sexual activity, and whether or not we, my sexual partners and myself, made a mistake and she didn't say anything and just "handled it".šŸ¤”

Probably happens more often than us guys care to know about.šŸ¤·šŸ»

edit on 30-7-2024 by VariedcodeSole because: eta

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Threadbarer

Because it was a protected Constitutional right. Even if it wasn't, he didn't have the votes in the Senate.

Then why did he say he would... also a supreme court ruling is a legal ruling, if you want to say it was anything else I need to ask when was the constitutional convention and what amendment was it?

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The abortion issue is where it belongs with the states, that is they it has to be, only congress can change that and is nothing they are going to do as of today.

Pretty simple.

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It is not political or bi-partisan. Most of you are stating it is the Religious RIGHT trying to take away abortion rights.

There are more Christian Democrats that Republicans. So, tell me how this works again? There are plenty of Pro Life Democrats like there are plenty of ProChoice Republicans.

Link

Abortion is not illegal in the US. Period. If you need it bad enough, or want one, and are in a state that does not allow a quick google search will help you find a grouop to help.

This is not 1914 with back alley abortions people.

Wake up. this argumnt is used to divide and not resolve anything
edit on 7302024 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 12:02 PM
link   

There is nothing in the Constitution regarding a minimum wage, yet, by law, there is a federal minimum wage (some states set a higher wage than the Federal amount as their Stae's minimum).

a reply to: Mantiss2021
The answer is in your question. Congress has been unable or unwilling to create a federal law regarding abortion. It's that simple. Abortion is not a right listed in the Constitution, which by the way was divinely inspired according to our founding fathers, nor is it enumerated in the Bill of Rights. To me one of the many splendors of the USA is that states somewhat vary in law and culture. It is, as many believe it should be, a states rights issue that the people in each state can make a voting issue. Isn't that what makes the United States beautiful, I think so.

edit on 30-7-2024 by fringeofthefringe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

The DOBBS ruling overturned Roe, and disagreed with its assumption that the 14th Amendment, through "privacy" protects a right to woman's reproductive choice. It's kinda hard to have autonomy without privacy, but okay. That's their ruling.

That freed the states from being legally bound to recognize their citizen's constitutional right to access abortion. Effectively, SCOTUS shifted a personal right, previously retained by the people, to the state legislators. That doesn't exclude Congress passing the "Life Begins at Conception Act".

At some later date, SCOTUS will be hearing the FED's EMTALA case, which is a federal law Reds states are fighting, that according to the FEDS, requires emergency rooms and hospitals to perform abortions if the doctor believes it's necessary to save a woman's life or health, such as organ failure.

Should SCOTUS rule in favor of the FEDS, it seems to me that would restore a constitutional right, at least at the 2nd Amendment level, if not the 14th. So, no need for a constitutioal amendment.

edit on 1920242024k09America/Chicago2024-07-30T12:09:19-05:0012pm2024-07-30T12:09:19-05:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Abortion is not a women's reproductive right. It is an option. Not a right. You have no right to a drivers license wither. You have an option. A privilege.

It is time to put this to bed as a Federal level issue.

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Abortion is not a women's reproductive right. It is an option. Not a right. You have no right to a drivers license wither. You have an option. A privilege.

Keep telling the women that...eventually they will see the wisdom in your statement.

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 02:14 PM
link   

It was still a legal ruling, that used the 14th as the basis.

And if obama had followed through on his promise, good chance we wouldnt be having this conversation.

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: lilzazz
Keep telling the women that...eventually they will see the wisdom in your statement.

It's the truth.
Abortion is a medical procedure.
There are no 'constitutional rights' to medical procedures.
An abortion is a "service" that is for sale.
It's like buying a commodity.

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: Threadbarer
a reply to: PorkChop96

So, these politicians did not let their constituents know they would ban abortion but you're saying the people got what they deserve because they voted in these politicians?

Seems like these politicians hid their actual intents from their voters and then went against the will of the people.

Absolutely, that is one hellava truth bomb right there. I wonder what would happen if each state held a referendum on the subject.

why hasn't that happened? That should be the first thing done. Unless this is another topic that the dems don't want fixed, as long as it can be used as a political cudgel.

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: lilzazz

originally posted by: matafuchs

I respect women enough to tell them the truth and not lie to them.
If they canā€™t appreciate the truth, or would prefer to shoot the messenger, then thatā€™s on them and my hands are clean regardless.
Itā€™s not hard to do, if you respect them.
If.

Democrats donā€™t respect their voters and it shows.

RGB knew Roe was flawed and she did nothing to fix it.

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: Threadbarer
a reply to: PorkChop96

So, these politicians did not let their constituents know they would ban abortion but you're saying the people got what they deserve because they voted in these politicians?

Seems like these politicians hid their actual intents from their voters and then went against the will of the people.

Absolutely, that is one hellava truth bomb right there. I wonder what would happen if each state held a referendum on the subject.

why hasn't that happened? That should be the first thing done. Unless this is another topic that the dems don't want fixed, as long as it can be used as a political cudgel.

When the GOP keeps handing the dembs exactly what they need to win elections....who's fault is that?

Keep bringing it up constantly and see how the election turns out. You know the dembs will along with Project 2025 at every opportunity.

www.reuters.com...

It's almost as if the GOP wants to lose!
edit on 30-7-2024 by lilzazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 03:21 PM
link   

And if obama had followed through on his promise, good chance we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Nah.
Even if Congress had enshrined and codified "Roe" into a federal act, it would have effectively been gutted by the DOBBS ruling.

Like I said, EMTALA basically codifies a woman's right to "life and limb" when a pregnancy emergency threatens either. The states are fighting it, and it will ultimately end up at the Supreme Court. SCOTUS could gut EMTALA, when it comes to the protection of pregnant women, even though Congress codified and enshrined it an "Act".

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lilzazz

I do not tell women anything. It is not my place. It is not yours or the governments either. See how that works?

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Roe v Wade was as illegal as Obamacare. You know, the ACT that made us all pay more taxes under the impression we would get better and more affordable healthcare.

Some of you really need a civics lesson and it shows.

The best thing that could have happened is this to go to the states. Put it in the hands of the people to vote about it as we should in a Republic.

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Nope Dobbs was doable because of the flawed legal ruling of RvW.

Again if Obama had followed through (he didnt because they never want to fix a problem) it would be a dead argument.

Also since they have ruled that the fed should stay out of this argument, they probably will gut Emtala but its going to come down to the legalese if its trying to be RvW lite, it will get gutted, if its making certain a woman whos life is in danger has access I would think it wont.

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 05:53 PM
link   

You think President Obama could have made abortion a permanent constitutional right, that SCOTUS couldn't revoke? How?

Why can't President Kamala Harris do it after she's elected?

posted on Jul, 30 2024 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

You think President Obama could have made abortion a permanent constitutional right, that SCOTUS couldn't revoke? How?

You can't have a right that infringes on the rights of another individual.

That's why they abolished slavery.

You want to bring it back.

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

wow, this is a novel way to debate. Obama couldn't have done it, Joe didn't do it, but Harris can. Of course nobody will, because that would end the use of this as a campaign slogan. I think many people are waking up to the part where nobody wants to fix things, they just want to perpetuate them as issues, to keep their use as a cash grab, and campaign fodder.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join