It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The opinion of young Englishmen about Russia and Russians

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

"I've never posted a thread on 'How awesome Great Britian is".

No need to. RT already posted one about how we and our Monarch control the World including US' gold, economy, military and so on.

edit on 25-6-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What do Russians really think about Putin's War?

foreignpolicy.com...

"Ordinary Russians are well aware of the dangers of saying the wrong thing. The elderly still have vivid memories of life under former leaders Joseph Stalin and Leonid Brezhnev, memories that have percolated through to current generations in a variety of ways. Exiled opposition activist Lyubov Sobol doesn’t believe that Russians are willing to say what they think to pollsters: “Most often you’re going to get unreliable results with answers that skew pro-government,” she told me in an email. “Those who support Putin’s regime will answer honestly and openly, while people from the opposition will be afraid to tell the truth and hide their real sentiments for fear of reprisals, problems at work and other troubles.”

So, those approval poll results?

Take with more than a good pinch of salt.

Are Russians generally happy?

"Experts are trying out new ways of attacking the problem—often by leveraging the data-collection power of the internet. Two British political scientists, Cambridge University’s Roberto Stefan Foa and Surrey University’s Roula Nezi, have been studying Russians’ search queries on Google and Yandex, a homegrown search engine.

Foa told me that this data shows, among other things, that Russians are feeling far less financially secure than is often claimed: queries about “bankruptcy,” “mortgage refinancing,” and “kidney donation” have jumped since the start of the invasion. Searches about depression, anxiety, and suicide have also skyrocketed."

Apparently, not so much.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

Many residents of Western countries are still not lazy to go on YouTube to watch videos about real life in Russia

No, Putin lapdogs are to lazy to see whats happening to their own country....

edit on 25-6-2024 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Lol at this thread. Of course, Russia is the best of the best. Khrushchev knew it. Brezhnev knew it. Now Putin knows it. It must be true then.

My auntie once went to Moscow in the 70s as an award for winning the history of the Soviet cinema high school contest. One thing that she remembers was empty shelves in all the shops. There was only Cuban rum and coffee. No meat, no groceries. Nothing.

Still those generous Russians, encouraged by the authorities, organized charities collecting food and money for poor hungry Poles.

Just imagine this brotherly love. Poor Russians emptying their already empty shops to feed starving Poles!

Your propaganda of success is amusing, RT. Your predecessors were funnier though.

PS. Do you paint curbs white for national holidays? It's something I miss in Poland.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: twistedpuppy

Are you writing about the 70s of the last century? 4 thousand years ago, people in Poland hunted mammoths))))))))

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

The cronies at the Kremlin and the Oligarchs that are keeping Putin in power, it's those people I hate.

That's not what you said.

I hate those that support, and keep Putin in power.

The citizens of Russia vote for who they want their president to be, so it would seem those are the ones you 'hate' for keeping Putin in power.

It's also the people posting daily propaganda pieces full of hate for the west

You've stuck your nose into American politics and said some pretty unfavorable things, so although you may not post 'pieces full of hate for the west' you certainly don't post favorably.

It's hard for some to understand your negativity towards all things America leaving some to think your country has a monopoly on the high road.

You don't seem to like it much when others bash your country, but have zero problem bashing others.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 02:26 PM
link   

It does not help when some Russian on our forum keep's on threatening our blessed isle with nuclear annihilation and invasion.

Whilst also calling UK members Nazi and racist because they refuse to accept your warped opinions and constant attempt to punt Russian propaganda.

Most people from the UK could not give a rats ar@e what Russia does as long as they are quiet and stops invading peaceful nations.

Freedom to Ukraine and down with Putin's Russian scum invaders.

edit on 25-6-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Invasion? If they can't manage to invade Ukraine they have feck all chance of fighting through Europe and getting any invasion force across the Channel so, I'm not fretting about impotent threats from impotent folk.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

They are clown shoes carpy2, just like the OP fretting how ""young Englishmen"" see his nation.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll
a reply to: FlyersFan

Can you provide links to support your words?[/quote

Only several hundred years of English literature and narratives by native English speakers. Take your pick. Those quotes are CLEARLY not written by, nor taken from, native English speaking persons. But please, do carry on. You’re proving a veritable master class in second rate propaganda proliferation and promotion. You NEVER disappoint.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

It's obvious that some foreign speaking person made them up.

Not to me it isn't obvious. What is obvious to me is that it was transcribed and posted by someone from the area. Maybe by the person asking by chance? A Russian interpretation of what was stated? I think!

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: charlest2

I'm in England and have never come across any young English lads with those opinions.

Folk from Russia seem to have magically conjured them up, tho, so go figure?

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 03:12 PM
link   

By the way, these comments went through two translations by online translators before appearing on our forum.

Translator done it!

That old chestnut???

By the way, and as always.

Freedom to Ukraine and down with Putin's Russian scum invasion farce.

And the band played on.

edit on 25-6-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 03:22 PM
link   

That's because you are an old carpy and don't run with the young crowd.

I'm an old carpy too at this point and I think I would rather live in Moscow than here in the US at this point. The US is a cesspool now.
edit on 25-6-2024 by charlest2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

But, wait. It may be that the translator is to blame. Perhaps RT typed "If only we could all just get along and live in peace" and the translator changed it to "your island will be annihilated in nuclear fire"?

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Come on RT.....if anyone believes any English person speaks like that then they quite clearly have never ever met an English person in their life.

We don't hate Russians - I quite like them, they have a good sense of humour and like a drink - notable qualities in my book.
But we really, really don't like bullies - and Putin is definitely a bully.

You say WE dream of returning to the days of 'Good Old England' whilst Putin pulls himself stupid over the prospect of re-establishing Russia to the former glories of Greater Russia or even the dreaded Soviet Union.....and of course his acolytes join in the circle jerk.

The UK isn't perfect, not by any stretch.....but its not the hellhole you and some others are trying to portray it as and its a damn sight better than most places on this earth.
I've travelled quite a bit outside the UK, particularly Europe - have you?
I'm under no illusions about the problems we face here in the UK, but they sure as # aren't anywhere near as bad as some places I could mention.

We get that you support Putin in his megalomania fuelled invasion of Ukraine. You feel you have to support your country.
But the constant stream of blatant propaganda and attempts at baiting people is getting rather tedious.
I used to find it quite funny, now its just plain boring.

Go and have a drink of your cherished whiskey, listen to some good music, maybe smoke a big fat one.
Post some of those really interesting threads you used to, please....because these are just boring the tits off me.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 03:34 PM
link   

They do say "a poor workman blames his tools".

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: charlest2

Yeah, right. Like I have no dealings with youngsters?

I work with them every day. They also go to my pub.

Have you had any interactions with young English lads? I have.

Move to Moscow then and put your money where your mouth is.

Bet you won't.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 03:48 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 03:51 PM
link   
So to illustrate my point, here is an essay from an ACTUAL Englishman who put his name on it and got famous for penning this:

Link

“Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?” Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote the following response:

A few things spring to mind. Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

[...]
This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of #. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum. God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: ‘My God… what… have… I… created?' If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.

edit on 25-6-2024 by Mahogani because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Jun 25 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: TRIMMED VERY LONG QUOTE

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join