It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump backs Louisiana law requiring Ten Commandments in schools

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

How about everyone just stops forcing their beliefs on kids.

Both sides.

The Ten Commandments and everything you listed are isolated to only a few districts.

Most people are sane.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: DAVID64

How about everyone just stops forcing their beliefs on kids.

Both sides.

The Ten Commandments and everything you listed are isolated to only a few districts.

Most people are sane.
Eh.

Rainbow flags galore in elementary schools.

So, not so much.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SteamyAmerican

I doubt that’s the case for most elementary schools.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If the schools are not mandating religion, then I don't see an issue.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

We can't expose our children to any kind of code of ethics, that would be terrible.

Our laws are a code of ethics. The Ten Commandments is a code of morality based on the worship of a biblical deity.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The state is mandating the beliefs of just one religion be hung in all public schools. How is that not mandating religion?

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

We can't expose our children to any kind of code of ethics, that would be terrible.

Our laws are a code of ethics. The Ten Commandments is a code of morality based on the worship of a biblical deity.

How is this different from "In God We Trust" being on U.S. Money and on walls of Courtrooms, and swearing on Bibles in Courts? 😃

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

At the end of the day, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

I’d say 6 of the commandments are irrelevant for a lot of kids, so if that’s the case, what’s the point?

I think it’s just political football.

I could read any books core tenets and it wouldn’t bother me. Just seems silly is all.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer

The state is mandating the beliefs of just one religion be hung in all public schools. How is that not mandating religion?

Are they forcing children to become Christian? No.

Ironic that the "state" can mandate that boys can become girls and that's okay with you nutjobs though.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

How is mandating biblical scripture that begins "Thou Shalt Have no Other Gods Before Me" not mandating religion?

a reply to: Degradation33

The really hypocritical and ironic part of this is, they're not even going to post the real 10 Commandments, they're going to post their edited and "fixed" version of them.

For example:

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

That would be counterproductive to teach, it forbids map making and the studies of science and math, not to mention art. So, they just left it at "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Again, it would be counter productive to teach children that they shouldn't do any work on "the Sabbath". So, they won't post that part either.

Abd lastly,

17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

LOL, the American Dream is built on "Keeping up with the Jones" and coveting what your neighbor has. So, even shortening it to, "Thou shalt not covet" is just way of saying "Thou Shalt Not WANT To Steal" instead of addressing the discontent associated with "coveting".

edit on 3720242024k41America/Chicago2024-06-23T10:41:37-05:0010am2024-06-23T10:41:37-05:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I doubt that’s the case for most elementary schools.

I would bet the percentage is well over 50%. In bigger cities, I would say 80%+ and 25%+ in rural areas.

The question is whether something like a pride flag or the Ten Commandments in schools is against The Constitution, I say no. The same goes for a school that banned certain books, it is not a hit on freedom of speech in any way. Limited access or view is not hitting anyone constitutionally.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

How is this different from "In God We Trust" being on U.S. Money and on walls of Courtrooms, and swearing on Bibles in Courts? 😃

You assume that just because it's there, they got away with it, so it's not a promotion of religion?

Personally, I interpret that phrase as the United States of America's god is money. I don't see how one could read it any other way. So, there it is, more in your face blasphemy, just like this pretend pious act of forcing the 10 Commandments on Louisianan children. Blind 'em with hypocrisy as early as possible! AMIRTE?

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   

LOL, the American Dream is built on "Keeping up with the Jones" and coveting what your neighbor has. So, even shortening it to, "Thou shalt not covet" is just way of saying "Thou Shalt Not WANT To Steal" instead of addressing the discontent associated with "coveting".

I think most here see the original 10 Commandments as not usable in its entirety.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:51 AM
link   

You assume that just because it's there, they got away with it, so it's not a promotion of religion?

You assume that separation of church and state means to keep religion out of Government, and the reality is to keep the Government out of religion. We need to remember that our forefathers came from a country that had a state religion, and so that is what they want to protect so all religions have equal freedom to worship. Religion has always been in Government; we just do not have a forced state-sanctioned religion as England did.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Along those lines, personally, I've always followed Gene Autry's cowboy code since I first encountered it in the early 1950s:

The code:

The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
He must always tell the truth.
He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.
He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
He must help people in distress.
He must be a good worker.
He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.
He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.
The Cowboy is a patriot.

It has served me well.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I think most here see the original 10 Commandments as not usable in its entirety.

That's obvious. Even Jesus didn't think they were "usable" in their entirety and narrowed the 10 down to 2. So, what is this pious act all about really?

Could it be a plot, chipping away at our secular society to forcefully institute Christian Nationalism on the People?

a reply to: Xtrozero

You assume that separation of church and state means to keep religion out of Government

Printing a platitude like "In God We Trust" on our money, and allowing someone to swear to their "GOD" about the honesty of their word in a court of law is not the same as the Government promoting the biblical god by mandating "his" commandments in every public classroom in the State of Louisiana.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

They aren't mandating religion.

Period.

This is all just silly talk.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Could it be a plot, chipping away at our secular society to forcefully institute Christian Nationalism on the People?

I agree, it isn't even the New Testament. I agree with ethics taught and that would work for me. As to some religious takeover... I see it just as a pushback to what the woke left has been pushing in schools. What comes around goes around kind of stuff.

Printing a platitude like "In God We Trust" on our money, and allowing someone to swear to their "GOD" about the honesty of their word in a court of law is not the same as the Government promoting the biblical god by mandating "his" commandments in every public classroom in the State of Louisiana.

It is a highly religious state so who knows, but if a state elects to post something like the Ten Commandments it is not a constitutional challenge. They can do it at will if they want. You and others may not like it, so you have a vote to change that.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 11:15 AM
link   

They aren't mandating religion.

Don't try and Gaslight us! FFS, the very 1st Commandment is THOU SHALT NOT HAVE ANY GODS BEFORE ME

edit on 1920242024k16America/Chicago2024-06-23T11:16:19-05:0011am2024-06-23T11:16:19-05:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

It is a highly religious state so who knows, but if a state elects to post something like the Ten Commandments it is not a constitutional challenge. They can do it at will if they want. You and others may not like it, so you have a vote to change that

Do you also believe that the states can punish individuals for criticizing them? What other parts of the 1st Amendment don't apply to states? What other parts of the Bill of Rights can the states ignore?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join