It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority of Americans think businesses shouldn't take political-social stances on current events

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muldar

originally posted by: Deetermined
a reply to: quintessentone

I think it is that the upcoming generations are smarter than the older generations and they are the ones that will have the power, if they don't already, to shape society and the world in a more positive and healthful way that benefits the majority of humanity. Stay awake, stay relevant.

This is where it gets interesting. I really must know what ways you consider to be "positive and healthful", while still being realistic. Mark my words, "realistic" is always going to be a thorn in your side, just like it is for us today. Utopian ideals don't result in realistic long term or sustainable change for the better.

I can't hold myself in relation to the comment made about the upcoming generations being smarter then the old ones.

That's why they believe there are 156 genders? You have to be very 'smart' or let's say a 'genius' to have realised that gender isn't binary as it was propagandised in schools by right wing scientists...

How many businesses have teen a stance on matters that involve gender 'identity', trans issues, LGBTQ issues, etc. They should not take any stance of social and political matters.

Whaat? They absoutely should be taught about all social and political matters in school so when they reach voting age they know an a** from a really good politician.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: Annee

I think it is that the upcoming generations are smarter than the older generations and they are the ones that will have the power, if they don't already, to shape society and the world in a more positive and healthful way that benefits the majority of humanity. Stay awake, stay relevant.

This is where it get interesting. I really must know what ways you consider to be "positive and healthful", while still being realistic. Mark my words, "realistic" is always going to be a thorn in your side, just like it is for us today. Utopian ideals don't result in realistic long term or sustainable change for the better.

As I said previously it is evolving and I can't see the future. Interesting times ahead, for sure.

IMO -- people today are more real.

The "role playing/programming" of past generations is dying out.

Marketing/Politics -- can't be separated.

Do you recall some movies with scenes in barber shops, now tell me discussing politics and other controversial subjects were not the main attraction? lol

Comparing a barber shop conversation to a corporate entity having opinions and stances on politics and social topics are two completely different things.

Having a conversation in a barber shop is no different than you and your brother sitting at dinner talking about your GFs.

You are missing the point. That one example of that unique business and it's unique customer base and the attraction for repeat customers.

I wasn't comparing corporate entities to a small business, you did that all on your own. Grab the ball and run with it then fall down.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:12 PM
link   

That is exactly what you did, you're just to ignorant and blind to realize it.

So caught up in your echo chamber of "the younger generations are so damn smart" you can't see how obtuse and blind you are to the fact that they really aren't. I mean FFS, we were just in a thread not too long ago about how bad their test scores have gotten in recent years. How does that make them the smarter generation?

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:13 PM
link   

That is exactly what you did, you're just to ignorant and blind to realize it.

So caught up in your echo chamber of "the younger generations are so damn smart" you can't see how obtuse and blind you are to the fact that they really aren't. I mean FFS, we were just in a thread not too long ago about how bad their test scores have gotten in recent years. How does that make them the smarter generation?

Rote memorization is not the be all and end all of being smart.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:16 PM
link   

If you can't remember simple math, how are you going to function in the world?

Kids are so reliant on their phones, if you take all tech away from them, the world would crumble in a matter of days.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I agree and I was just having this discussion with my mechanic's administrator about how we old geezers were so programmed and role playing...well we must have suddenly become 'woke' too because we are both looking for the escape hatch.

In what way did you feel programmed or felt like you were role playing?

Do you recall some movies with scenes in barber shops, now tell me discussing politics and other controversial subjects were not the main attraction? lol

No doubt that it's harder to have political discussions in a public setting any more. The days when government wasn't trying to divide us to the extreme they do today. It's cut throat now and the government has absolutely NO ONE else to blame but themselves for creating it. Today, their like, "Hey, we've driven ourselves into the financial abyss, so let's turn the narrative to social issues so we can blame it on the American people when we eventually collapse. That way they can't all definitively point their finger at us!"

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I agree and I was just having this discussion with my mechanic's administrator about how we old geezers were so programmed and role playing...well we must have suddenly become 'woke' too because we are both looking for the escape hatch.

In what way did you feel programmed or felt like you were role playing?

It's relates to the upbringing back then and fulfilling what our family and society expected of us, forget veering off course, and if you didn't follow the rules you were ostracized. Now that she and I had a discussion and a look back at those times, now that we are both unfettered, so to speak, we both are looking for an escape hatch.

No doubt that it's harder to have political discussions in a public setting any more. The days when government wasn't trying to divide us to the extreme they do today. It's cut throat now and the government has absolutely NO ONE else to blame but themselves for creating it. Today, their like, "Hey, we've driven ourselves into the financial abyss, so let's turn the narrative to social issues so we can blame it on the American people when we eventually collapse. That way they can't all definitively point their finger at us!"

To me governments are doing the same thing over and over and it works then doesn't work - over and over again. Same s**t different decade. The next 2008 collapse is on the horizon, then the reset.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   

The kids I see in schools certainly are being taught how to think critically, why do you think culture is changing as fast as it is? The upcoming generations can critically think and identify the BS in society.

Culture is not changing in a GOOD way. Supporting every degenerate out there and holding them up as poster boys and worthy causes (George Floyd, Perverts, etc.) is only a sign of how far our culture is disgustingly sinking. If the younger generation had a clue, they would know what a true role model looks like, but those aren't the ones they are holding up and supporting.

Holding people accountable for their behaviour is a good thing and in the George Floyd situation, it was making those police officers accountable for their heinous behaviour and to go one step further, in that, to fix that policing problem facing a segment of society. Perverts come in all political leaning sectors, so again, rooting them out and holding them accountable. Sounds good to me.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   

An escape hatch from what? The profession you ended up in?

If I understand him/her correctly, I think nickyw has the whole situation nailed down. History is always going to repeat itself, even if we try to do it a different way. The end result is always going to be the same, due to the nature of humans and human error.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muldar

This is where it gets interesting. I really must know what ways you consider to be "positive and healthful", while still being realistic. Mark my words, "realistic" is always going to be a thorn in your side, just like it is for us today. Utopian ideals don't result in realistic long term or sustainable change for the better.

I can't hold myself in relation to the comment made about the upcoming generations being smarter then the old ones.

That's why they believe there are 156 genders? You have to be very 'smart' or let's say a 'genius' to have realised that gender isn't binary as it was propagandised in schools by right wing scientists...

How many businesses have teen a stance on matters that involve gender 'identity', trans issues, LGBTQ issues, etc. They should not take any stance of social and political matters.

Whaat? They absoutely should be taught about all social and political matters in school so when they reach voting age they know an a** from a really good politician.

Aaah I see!

So they should be taught about the 156 genders that will make them smart as you said.

And then they will go away from school with such great critical abilities as to not even challenge why businesses should mind their business and not getting involved in politics.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

It depends. Is it worth it to you to take what ever fallout that may arise from your stand?

It's a complex problem.

People complain about Corporations like Target and Nike not having the interests of their shareholders in mind when taking their stands. That's not exactly true. Most of the stock in these corporations is owned by huge investment fund companies. These Companies vote stock that they don't actually own, just control and force the Corporations to take these stands. I have to wonder if some of this is an attempt to drive down the price of some stocks, while increasing the price of others. An example would be if your Company owned some shares of AmBev, while at the same time owning shares in Coors and Modello. The Company helps push Bud Light into their stand on LGBT which decreases AmBev's stock price while inflating Coors and Modello's. This could allow the Company to then buy more shares of AmBev without taking a loss.

If you own your own business, then YOU control your business. If you know your customers, taking a certain stand on something could help your business. Your main problem would be if you went against the social media scammers. By scammers I mean the small minority, that looks like a huge majority because of their use of multiple outlets and bots.

Ultimately it is your decision. Just like it is my decision where I spend my money.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Muldar

Perhaps politicians should mind their own business, too?

And not get involved in business.

This 156 gender stuff seems to be an obsession of yours, for most normal folk, it.really isn'

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Holding people accountable for their behaviour is a good thing and in the George Floyd situation, it was making those police officers accountable for their heinous behaviour...

I'm all for holding everyone accountable, but for God's sake, let's not use a totally questionable situation with a drug addict/criminal as some poster boy to raise statues in their likeness! Surely, there are better instances and martyrs of law enforcement without wrapping it around some criminal trying to flee the law.

edit on 4-10-2023 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:39 PM
link   

An escape hatch from what? The profession you ended up in?

If I understand him/her correctly, I think nickyw has the whole situation nailed down. History is always going to repeat itself, even if we try to do it a different way. The end result is always going to be the same, due to the nature of humans and human error.

The escape hatch of individual freedom from societal expectations which I think upcoming generations will never have to deal with, they remind me of the hippies of the 60's and that song 'my generation' by The Who - about youthful rebellion. It seems she and I missed that part of the 60's and 70's youthful rebellion so we'll do it now. lol

Every generation is different and seeks different ways of being and existing within a societal framework. Will all upcoming generations end up succumbing to the same old same old?, maybe then maybe not. Which generation will be the turning point? I can't see the future.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Holding people accountable for their behaviour is a good thing and in the George Floyd situation, it was making those police officers accountable for their heinous behaviour...

I'm all for holding everyone accountable, but for God's sake, let's not use a totally questionable situation with a drug addict/criminal as some poster boy to raise statues in their likeness! Surely, there are better instances and martyrs of law enforcement without wrapping it around some criminal trying to flee the law.

Why not him because the henious acts involved in that situation certainly checked off all the boxes for me.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Why not him because the henious acts involved in that situation certainly checked off all the boxes for me.

I already explained "why not him". If you want a martyr, find someone who was purely innocent and never tried to flee police. If people don't try to flee, they don't have to worry about cops trying to hold them down.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

This 156 gender stuff seems to be an obsession of yours, for most normal folk, it.really isn'

Deflection and nonsense.

Businesses should mind their business and not get involved with in politics and social matters.
edit on 4-10-2023 by Muldar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

So they should be taught about the 156 genders that will make them smart as quintissentone said?

And then they will go away from school with such great critical abilities as to not even challenge why businesses should mind their business and not getting involved in politics.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Kids are so reliant on their phones, if you take all tech away from them, the world would crumble in a matter of days.

I guess I must have missed it. When did kids take over the world. I don't want the world it to crumble, I don't think the kids do either!

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Earlier comments had been made by Qint and Annee that the "younger "smarter" generations will fix the world"

I wouldn't leave the younger generation alone with a ball bearing and a toothpick in a sandbox.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join