It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority of Americans think businesses shouldn't take political-social stances on current events

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
As a business owner....if politics affects my business I should just keep my mouth shut? Freedom of speech dosen't apply to businesses?

Bud light had the right to say what they wanted..
Pretty sure nobody said they couldn't, but more that they shouldn't.

Doesn't mean a business is immune to the consequences..🤷

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

As a business owner....if politics affects my business I should just keep my mouth shut? Freedom of speech dosen't apply to businesses?

That would depend on type of business and clientelle whether keeping one's mouth shut is good business practice, doesn't it?

All businesses must shut the f&£@ up and don't get involved in politics and social matters.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Thinking critically is all good and well, but that is not what these kids are being taught.

They are being taught the beliefs and ideologies of their teachers, not how to think and make decisions for themselves. They are being taught the BS, not how to identify and deny it.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Freedom of speech applies, but as a business, dealing with consumers who have a choice versus a government dealing with its citizens. The government doesn’t have a choice, your customers do.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Another viewpoint - cancel culture steps in to protect us all:

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Cancel culture, another form of BS taught in schools.

All cancel culture does is give whiny, entitled, nobodies a way to stifle the free speech of others because they said/did something they didn't like or agree with.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Cancel culture, another form of BS taught in schools.

All cancel culture does is give whiny, entitled, nobodies a way to stifle the free speech of others because they said/did something they didn't like or agree with.

...and take down the very powerful who think they can do whatever immoral acts they choose and nobody can do a damn thing about it.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:13 AM
link   

The cancel culture isn't consistent. While a black person can say that it took a couple of black women to hold R. Kelly accountable for his crimes, why didn't they hold George Floyd accountable for his? Instead, they chose to use him as a poster boy against law enforcement and we started to hear all of their cries for "defund the police". That IS NOT critical thinking.

edit on 4-10-2023 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:14 AM
link   

And who would those "very powerful" individuals be?

The ones you don't agree with?

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Dismissed

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

The cancel culture isn't consistent. While a black person can say that it took a couple of black women to hold R. Kelly accountable for his crimes, why didn't they hold George Floyd accountable for his? Instead, they chose to use him as a poster boy against law enforcement and we started to hear all of their cries for "defund the police". That IS NOT critical thinking.

Defund the police when looked at it in a realistic light, is to move funds from one area to another, and in the George Floyd case was to have mental health professionals available at the scene, not to be left up to bad apple police officers.

Cancel culture may be swift to implement but then it dissipates quickly...it's a societal changing culture thing and evolves.

If we can identify those with great power (the untouchables?) that look the other way or participate in child abuse then we can cancel them by exposing them and hitting their wallets (the only place that it hurts, apparently).

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muldar

Dismissed

lol You can't dismiss societal changing morals and norms, and the power of ordinary people's cancelling power.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Freedom of speech applies, but as a business, dealing with consumers who have a choice versus a government dealing with its citizens. The government doesn’t have a choice, your customers do.

I'm all for freedom of choice. And that being the case, should I keep my mouth shut when in the shop and not let my feelings be known to my customers?

I knew the 1st amendment would someday be trashed, I didn't think it would be this soon.

www.law.cornell.edu...

Businesses are people too....according to the 14th amendment....trash that one too?

www.history.com...

Thank God I can still chose my customers as well....no shirt, no shoes, no service. And no morons!!!

edit on 4-10-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:27 AM
link   

a reply to: Muldar

Click bait title again. It's NOT the majority it is SPLIT. It all has to do with demographics and the younger generations are showing us all the future trend, that being, that companies SHOULD take public stances.

The poll released Tuesday found 48 percent of U.S. adults said businesses should publicly state their views, while 52 percent said they shouldn’t. Pollsters found notable differences in their views based on the demographics of the respondents.

Younger adults were more likely to say companies should take public stances, with 59 percent of those ages 18 to 29 and 51 percent of those 30 to 44 saying so. Just more than 40 percent of those 45 to 59 and 60 and older said the same.

thehill.com...

No. It's the majority of Americans.

And if it wasn't for the woke virus in schools and universities it would have been almost all Americans.

It's quite concerning that there is a large number of Americans who think it's right for businesses to take stances on political and social matters.

Businesses are to sell us their goods and services. Nothing else.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

originally posted by: Salamandy

unless you are involved in the woke game and profit from it, who really has time for politics at work?

Not so much the being awake game rather in keeping up with a changing culture...keep up or go down.

Let's not kid ourselves. The current young generation and their need for changing culture is going to be the death of all of us, including themselves, because they don't know how to think critically.

the opposite is more likely to be the case. social media turn kids into self-reflective and extremely critical pseudo-adults. whats good: they develop an awareness for social action, environmental awareness, for other cultures and ways of life at an early age. nevertheless, this generation is totally overloaded with information.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Click bait title again. It's NOT the majority it is SPLIT. It all has to do with demographics and the younger generations are showing us all the future trend, that being, that companies SHOULD take public stances.

The poll released Tuesday found 48 percent of U.S. adults said businesses should publicly state their views, while 52 percent said they shouldn’t. Pollsters found notable differences in their views based on the demographics of the respondents.

Younger adults were more likely to say companies should take public stances, with 59 percent of those ages 18 to 29 and 51 percent of those 30 to 44 saying so. Just more than 40 percent of those 45 to 59 and 60 and older said the same.

thehill.com...

And if it wasn't for the woke virus in schools and universities it would have been almost all Americans.

It's quite concerning that there is a large number of Americans who think it's right for businesses to take stances on political and social matters.

I expected no better from you with the glossing over of facts.

It is split with upcoming generations taking on the 'speak up' culture more and more, and calling out the societal BS. Upcoming generations are not satisfied with how older generations made their world, they want belonging and respect. Out with the old toxicity in with the new healthier way of doing things.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Dismissed

lol You can't dismiss societal changing morals and norms, and the power of ordinary people's cancelling power.

No such change exists.
A small minority tries to impose their 'values' and 'ideals'.

So again, dismissed!

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   

thehill.com...

I expected no better from you with the glossing over of facts.

It is split with upcoming generations taking on the 'speak up' culture more and more, and calling out the societal BS. Upcoming generations are not satisfied with how older generations made their world, they want belonging and respect. Out with the old toxicity in with the new healthier way of doing things.

Not every generation is retarded.
If you take away propaganda and indoctrination there is nothing into the woke ideology. A grade6 student will easily dismiss the ridiculous claims made on its name.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Dismissed

No such change exists.

So again, dismissed!

Pay close attention to how upcoming generations refuse to take part in the failing societal framework and speak up and use cancel culture, then you will get a rude awakening.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Dismissed

No such change exists.

So again, dismissed!

Pay close attention to how upcoming generations refuse to take part in the failing societal framework and speak up and use cancel culture, then you will get a rude awakening.

Once the propaganda and indoctrination are taken out of schools and universities then they will be normalised. The upcoming generations won't be as retarded as this one where they think (at least some of them) there are 156 genders.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join