It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Florida law allows the death penalty for child rapists

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
There is no evidence the death penalty deters violent crime.

The death penalty has no deterrent effect. Claims that each execution deters a certain number of murders have been thoroughly discredited by social science research. People commit murders largely in the heat of passion, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or because they are mentally ill, giving little or no thought to the possible consequences of their acts. The few murderers who plan their crimes beforehand — for example, professional executioners — intend and expect to avoid punishment altogether by not getting caught. Some self-destructive individuals may even hope they will be caught and executed.

Death penalty laws falsely convince the public that government has taken effective measures to combat crime and homicide. In reality, such laws do nothing to protect us or our communities from the acts of dangerous criminals.

www.aclu.org...

Bread (free food) and circuses (arenas).

It does deter the particular violent child rapist

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muldar
The thread isn't about unsubstantiated assertions just like the one you made but about facts. And it's a fact the death penalty can be applied to child rapists in Florida.

Is the new law based on facts?
Do we have access to facts showing that the possibility of a death penalty makes potential sexual battery criminals not commit those crimes?

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

The thread isn't about unsubstantiated assertions just like the one you made but about facts. And it's a fact the death penalty can be applied to child rapists in Florida.

Is the new law based on facts?
Do we have access to facts showing that the possibility of a death penalty makes potential sexual battery criminals not commit those crimes?

The new law is based on the reality of child rape and how this hideous crime is perceived by society.

The vast majority of republicans and democrats have voted in favour of this bill in the Senate and House, that has now become law.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 06:05 AM
link   

The vast majority of republicans and democrats have voted in favour of this bill in the Senate and House, that has now become law.

I'm not interested in their opinions.

What I want to know is in what facts the new law is based on.
Or is it based on opinions only?

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I'm not interested in their opinions.

What I want to know is in what facts the new law is based on.
Or is it based on opinions only?

What do you mean by facts?

I don't think many will have sympathy for child rapists and this law could have been brought long time ago. One can argue why there hasn't been a law so far penalizing child rape (heavily)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Facts that prove that the death penalty works as a deterrent that makes criminals avoid committing crimes.

I don't think many will have sympathy for child rapists and this law could have been brought long time ago. One can argue why there hasn't been a law so far penalizing child rape (heavily)

Yes, crimes against children should be heavily penalised, and, preferably, avoided.

What's the purpose of this new law, prevent sexual battery crimes against children, punishing sexual battery crimes against children or both?

If one of the purposes is to prevent sexual battery crimes against children then the law should be based on facts that show that the death penalty prevents crimes.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Facts that prove that the death penalty works as a deterrent that makes criminals avoid committing crimes.

Yes, crimes against children should be heavily penalised, and, preferably, avoided.

What's the purpose of this new law, prevent sexual battery crimes against children, punishing sexual battery crimes against children or both?

If one of the purposes is to prevent sexual battery crimes against children then the law should be based on facts that show that the death penalty prevents crimes.

I don't know how many crimes it will prevent as it's a new law. You need to see this over a period of time. But I do know that if a child rapist receives the death penalty then it's impossible he/she will commit the same crimes again. Of course the same can happen when you receive life sentences without parole.

Preventing a crime is not why some people are getting a death sentence. It's the wrong argument to be made. The severity of their crimes often determines the punishment itself and it isn't related to whether it will deter further crimes of the same nature.

I see that this thread has hit quite a lot of nerves (as usual).

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I don't know how many crimes it will prevent as it's a new law. You need to see this over a period of time. But I do know that if a child rapist receives the death penalty then it's impossible he/she will commit the same crimes again. Of course the same can happen when you receive life sentences without parole.

Preventing a crime is not why some people are getting a death sentence. It's the wrong argument to be made. The severity of their crimes often determines the punishment itself and it isn't related to whether it will deter further crimes of the same nature.

It hasn't hit a nerve with me, I am just inquiring on this topic for further discussion.

What if the violent rapist is the victim's father? How will the child be helped to deal with the aftermath?

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 08:38 AM
link   

It hasn't hit a nerve with me, I am just inquiring on this topic for further discussion.

What if the violent rapist is the victim's father? How will the child be helped to deal with the aftermath?

I wasn't referring specifically to you but since you answered it then it means the thread has triggered you.

I am not the one to judge what if and what another if. These are questions for the judge and jury.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I wasn't referring specifically to you but since you answered it then it means the thread has triggered you.

I am not the one to judge what if and what another if. These are questions for the judge and jury.

Being triggered and wanting to discuss an interesting current event are two different things entirely and it shows where your agenda lies.

The question really is asking what is the Florida government doing to help the victims with the aftermath of learning they were in part the reason for having their family member or friend of the family put to death?

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Being triggered and wanting to discuss an interesting current event are two different things entirely and it shows where your agenda lies.

The question really is asking what is the Florida government doing to help the victims with the aftermath of learning they were in part the reason for having their family member or friend of the family put to death?

Surely you can't seriously be blaming a kid rape victim as partially to blame?

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 08:48 AM
link   

That's not the question or the topic of this thread. The child who has been raped isn't the reason why the rapist has been convicted. It's absurd to claim it is.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede

Nobody would blame the child, what if the child blames themselves is my question? Where is the mental health supports? Nowhere to be found, as usual.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:02 AM
link   

That's not the question or the topic of this thread. The child who has been raped isn't the reason why the rapist has been convicted. It's absurd to claim it is.

You've twisted my question. The question is what if the child blames themselves for the death of the family member or family friend or whomever, where are the mental health support for the child?

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

You have no evidence to prove that there is no mental health help for rape victims.

Making incorrect assumptions has really been your go to lately, hasn't it.

And since it is inevitable that you will ask, here is a link to the help you are saying doesn't exist.

www.floridahealth.gov...#:~:text=Victim%20Services,-The%20VIPS%20fund s&text=If%20you%20or%20someone%20you,at%20www.FCASV.org.
edit on 5-10-2023 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   

You've twisted my question. The question is what if the child blames themselves for the death of the family member or family friend or whomever, where are the mental health support for the child?

That's what you said above.
And this is what Halfswede answered you

It's obvious you have put some blame on the victim.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I perhaps worded it in a non-specific manner and it was not my intent to put forth that meaning or context. I am now explaining it to you. If a child learns that because of her being raped by the rapist and the event caused the death penalty to be enforced, what if the child blames themselves for not only the rape but the death of the family member.

My main question is where is the mental health supports specifically for the aftermath of their family member/family friend being put to death. Yes, there are mental health supports for rape victims but where is the mental health support for a victim which would perhaps turn the blame onto themselves for the death of the rapist. The psychology therapy which would be required would be something entirely different from therapy for rape victims.

en.wikipedia.org...(psychology)#:~:text=Self%2Dblame%20is%20a%20cognitive,during%20and%20following%20stressful%20situations.[edi tby]edit on q000000331031America/Chicago4242America/Chicago10 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Nobody would blame the child

If only that were true. Victim blaming/shaming is often people's most primal reaction.

My mom died in 2008. In 2006 the subject of my sexual abuse by mt Uncle Johnny and how I felt like she blamed me for it, came up in an "intervention" she arranged for me, to bring me back to "Jesus". I had eulogized my hope that my father's next lifetime would be easier than this one was, at his funeral. A grave sin! LOL

Anyway, she was spitting mad at me for bringing it up and seethed "You liked it! You wanted it!" A lifetime of resentment and blame laid bare.
edit on 5-10-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Nobody would blame the child

If only that were true. Victim blaming/shaming is often people's most primal reaction.

My mom died in 2008. In 2006 the subject of my sexual abuse by mt Uncle Johnny and how I felt like she blamed me for it, came up in an "intervention" she arranged for me, to bring me back to "Jesus". I had eulogized my hope that my father's next lifetime would be easier than this one was, at his funeral. A grave sin! LOL

Anyway, she was spitting mad at me for bringing it up and seethed "You liked it! You wanted it!" A lifetime of resentment and blame laid bare.

In the few child abuse cases (books) I read the child was always blamed and the rapist always said because of the lack of knowledge of how the female body works, they said 'You wanted it!".

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I perhaps worded it in a non-specific manner and it was not my intent to put forth that meaning or context. I am now explaining it to you. If a child learns that because of her being raped by the rapist and the event caused the death penalty to be enforced, what if the child blames themselves for not only the rape but the death of the family member.

My main question is where is the mental health supports specifically for the aftermath of their family member/family friend being put to death. Yes, there are mental health supports for rape victims but where is the mental health support for a victim which would perhaps turn the blame onto themselves for the death of the rapist. The psychology therapy which would be required would be something entirely different from therapy for rape victims.

en.wikipedia.org...(psychology)#:~:text=Self%2Dblame%20is%20a%20cognitive,during%20and%20following%20stressful%20situations.[/qu ote]

It's certainly not the topic of this thread but an off topic distraction.

You should enquiry with the State of Florida about mental health support for victims of rape and abuse.
edit on 5-10-2023 by Muldar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join