It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Florida law allows the death penalty for child rapists

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Muldar

Miscarriages of justice and victim blaming aren't valid arguments against the death penalty of child rapists.

You are not arbitrator of what are valid arguments against the death penalty. PERIOD

The ones you tried to use are just invalid and pure deflections. They have nothing to do with the death penalty itself.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 11:28 AM
link   

ATTENTION...please read before posting further....

BE AWARE THAT IF YOUR POST IS NOT ON TOPIC AND/OR IS ABOUT OTHER MEMBERS YOU MAY BE ABOUT TO HAVE POSTS REMOVED. OR YOU MAY BE TEMPORARILY POST BANNED!
AND, PLEASE REMEMBER THERE IS NO MORE MUD PIT....MUD NOT ALLOWED.

Everyone and I mean everyone is allowed to post here on topic and to do so without being called names or becoming the target of others' posts. Debate the topic and leave each other out of it. OPPOSING VIEWPOINTS are encouraged.

These rules apply to all threads and if you want to engage in personal attacks there are other sites on the Internet where you can do that. Our goal is for ATS to be above that. For members here to post like mature adults.
YOU are responsible for your own posts

And, as always...
Do not reply to this post.

Be the Change You Wish to See. Redux.
edit on Thu Oct 5 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha
As I said earlier

Miscarriages of justice-with-victim blaming aren't valid arguments against the death penalty of child rapists.(this implies the victim hasn't been heard and was blamed from the beginning)

Just like quintissentone you have made several attempts to argue that child rapists shouldn't receive the death penalty.

None of them are convincing.
It's more than obvious.

The State of Florida overwhelmingly voted in the House and Senate in favour of the bill.

edit on 5-10-2023 by Muldar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
a reply to: quintessentone

So they'd rather let the guy back out into society to do it over and over again?

Sounds like a grand idea

I think 70% are released. But then every time they float an idea for building a new big prison, voters turn it down.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I am the only one focusing on the child because nobody else seems to give a damn about their wellbeing in the aftermath.

That is pure poppycock and you know it

I even gave you the link to the Florida Health Sexual Violence page, that you ignored.

Try again

You try again. My first post was addressing the ignoramus poster on page 1. On the top of page 7 was my second post replying to Sook's post about how the government mishandles the wellbeing of the rape victim, and I've been building on that every since.

And it is not up to the parents to provide psychological therapy when the government enacts the death penalty on the victim's rapist without the victim's or the parents' consent to do so. At least I believe in Florida there is no provision for the victim to waive the death penalty for the rapist, does anyone know?

What if the victim and their families are against the death penalty? Does that make a difference?

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

I am the only one focusing on the child because nobody else seems to give a damn about their wellbeing in the aftermath.

That is pure poppycock and you know it

I even gave you the link to the Florida Health Sexual Violence page, that you ignored.

Try again

You try again. My first post was addressing the ignoramus poster on page 1. On the top of page 7 was my second post replying to Sook's post about how the government mishandles the wellbeing of the rape victim, and I've been building on that every since.

And it is not up to the parents to provide psychological therapy when the government enacts the death penalty on the victim's rapist without the victim's or the parents' consent to do so. At least I believe in Florida there is no provision for the victim to waive the death penalty for the rapist, does anyone know?

What if the victim and their families are against the death penalty? Does that make a difference?

It is an irrelevant conversation and you try to deflect to something else. These questions are ok for another conversation.

What if and what if... These questions can be answered at another thread.

What is factual is that child rapists could receive the death penalty under the new law.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 11:54 AM
link   

That doesn't answer my question.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:08 PM
link   

The quoted text read as follows: "I am the only one focusing on the child because nobody else seems to give a damn about their wellbeing in the aftermath."

I said that was bull, and that they do offer mental health help. I even linked the website to go to and you ignored it. The help is there, they can use it if they choose to do so but nobody can force them to.

There have been plenty of cases where the victim and families ask to waive the death penalty, but in most case I have seen it was to no avail. I believe the judge and jury have final say in the matter, no matter the plea from the victim.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I think it is relevant.

Imagine a father/brother/cousin/uncle/grandfather/whatever sexually assaulting a 10 year old girl and telling her "don't say a word about this, otherwise I may be killed".

The menace of a death penalty may be used against the victim in cases like this, as in most cases the victim knows the attacker, shifting (apparently) the death penalty responsibility to the victim.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Just like quintissentone you have made several attempts to argue that child rapists shouldn't receive the death penalty.

You are incorrect.
The most convincing argument is that the law is unconstitutional.

Also,
The law also puts rape victims and their families at a greater risk with the introduction of the death penalty.
The law traps rape victims and their families in a moral conundrum; report a person for sexual assault and be responsible for their execution.
edit on 5-10-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The quoted text read as follows: "I am the only one focusing on the child because nobody else seems to give a damn about their wellbeing in the aftermath."

I said that was bull, and that they do offer mental health help. I even linked the website to go to and you ignored it. The help is there, they can use it if they choose to do so but nobody can force them to.

There have been plenty of cases where the victim and families ask to waive the death penalty, but in most case I have seen it was to no avail. I believe the judge and jury have final say in the matter, no matter the plea from the victim.

Yes, that is what I am reading, the victim's and family's wishes don't matter. Another point in fact that the government cares nothing for the wellbeing of the victim and perhaps their families. Case closed.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:12 PM
link   

You are incorrect.

Also,
The law also puts rape victims and their families at a greater risk with the introduction of the death penalty.
The law traps rape victims and their families in a moral conundrum; report a person for sexual assault and be responsible for another's execution.

Absolutely Sook but the wellbeing of the victim and their family is of no concern, is the message.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Not really up to you to call "case closed"

You can't sit there and say that the judge and jury don't take the victim and families opinions into consideration. You don't know what goes through their heads while deliberating. They could be looking at the greater good in retrospect and take the dangerous criminal off the table for any further issues that might arise from them being out in the world.

Another point in fact that the government cares nothing for the wellbeing of the victim and perhaps their families.

Again, you are wrong.

The link has been given to you to see the resources at the victim and families disposal to use. And again, you choose to ignore it to further your point that "nobody cares", when they do. You choose not to see it

Here it is again just so you can choose to ignore it again:

www.floridahealth.gov...
edit on 5-10-2023 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   

You are incorrect.

Also,
The law traps rape victims and their families in a moral conundrum; report a person for sexual assault and be responsible for another's execution.

Absolutely Sook but the wellbeing of the victim and their family is of no concern, is the message.

Because it's not about protecting against rape, or shielding rape victims from further trauma. The cruelty is the point"

It's about throwing red meat seasoned with hatred to the mob, satisfying the mobs blood lust.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:44 PM
link   

You are incorrect.

Also,
The law traps rape victims and their families in a moral conundrum; report a person for sexual assault and be responsible for their execution.

You have tried all possible avenues and you're still not convincing at all.

The death penalty is constitutional and can be applied for a range of crimes in a given number of states.

Also,
The law traps rape victims and their families in a moral conundrum; report a person for sexual assault and be responsible for their execution

Not a serious argument.

You don't just report someone and this someone is getting convicted for rape and then executed. You remember where the burden of proof is??

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   

You are incorrect.

Also,

Because it's not about protecting against rape, or shielding rape victims from further trauma. The cruelty is the point"

It's about throwing red meat seasoned with hatred to the mob, satisfying the mobs blood lust.

I'm leaning more towards Florida's politicians, we all know who, is playing to a specific sector of voters and if they be the red seasoned meat hatred or rather self-righteous mob, then the shoe may fit.
edit on q000000001031America/Chicago5858America/Chicago10 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

I think it is relevant.

Imagine a father/brother/cousin/uncle/grandfather/whatever sexually assaulting a 10 year old girl and telling her "don't say a word about this, otherwise I may be killed".

The menace of a death penalty may be used against the victim in cases like this, as in most cases the victim knows the attacker, shifting (apparently) the death penalty responsibility to the victim.

That's not an argument against the validity of the death penalty for child rapists.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:51 PM
link   

You are incorrect.

Also,

That's not a valid argument but it's repeated.
The death penalty in the US is not against the constitution and can be applied for a range of crimes. Including rape and murder.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Not really up to you to call "case closed"

You can't sit there and say that the judge and jury don't take the victim and families opinions into consideration. You don't know what goes through their heads while deliberating. They could be looking at the greater good in retrospect and take the dangerous criminal off the table for any further issues that might arise from them being out in the world.

Another point in fact that the government cares nothing for the wellbeing of the victim and perhaps their families.

Again, you are wrong.

The link has been given to you to see the resources at the victim and families disposal to use. And again, you choose to ignore it to further your point that "nobody cares", when they do. You choose not to see it

Here it is again just so you can choose to ignore it again:

www.floridahealth.gov...

Clearly they have exhausted all possible scenarios and they're making up unsubstantiated assertions and discuss them as real possibilities or facts.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   

"Not a serious argument.

You don't just report someone and this someone is getting convicted for rape and then executed. You remember where the burden of proof is?"

I disagree it is a valid argument.

If it doesn't get reported none of that arises.

If it is reported, then that becomes a real possibility.

Note, I said a "possibilty".

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join