It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Florida law allows the death penalty for child rapists

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: Muldar

originally posted by: ArMaP

What do you mean by facts?

Facts that prove that the death penalty works as a deterrent that makes criminals avoid committing crimes.

I don't think many will have sympathy for child rapists and this law could have been brought long time ago. One can argue why there hasn't been a law so far penalizing child rape (heavily)

Yes, crimes against children should be heavily penalised, and, preferably, avoided.

What's the purpose of this new law, prevent sexual battery crimes against children, punishing sexual battery crimes against children or both?

If one of the purposes is to prevent sexual battery crimes against children then the law should be based on facts that show that the death penalty prevents crimes.

I don't know how many crimes it will prevent as it's a new law. You need to see this over a period of time. But I do know that if a child rapist receives the death penalty then it's impossible he/she will commit the same crimes again. Of course the same can happen when you receive life sentences without parole.

Preventing a crime is not why some people are getting a death sentence. It's the wrong argument to be made. The severity of their crimes often determines the punishment itself and it isn't related to whether it will deter further crimes of the same nature.

I see that this thread has hit quite a lot of nerves (as usual).

It hasn't hit a nerve with me, I am just inquiring on this topic for further discussion.

What if the violent rapist is the victim's father? How will the child be helped to deal with the aftermath?

I wasn't referring specifically to you but since you answered it then it means the thread has triggered you.

I am not the one to judge what if and what another if. These are questions for the judge and jury.

Being triggered and wanting to discuss an interesting current event are two different things entirely and it shows where your agenda lies.

The question really is asking what is the Florida government doing to help the victims with the aftermath of learning they were in part the reason for having their family member or friend of the family put to death?

Surely you can't seriously be blaming a kid rape victim as partially to blame?

This is what I said too.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Muldar

Again, the question is not about helping the victim regarding the rape and abuse, it's about helping the victim if said victim should blame themselves for the rapist being put to death. This in totally different realm of psychology.

The question is not difficult to understand.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Again, the question is not about helping the victim regarding the rape and abuse, it's about helping the victim if said victim should blame themselves for the rapist being put to death. This in totally different realm of psychology.

That's the question you have come up with and it's not really related to the topic of this thread. It's another issue altogether.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:54 AM
link   

That's the question you have come up with and it's not really related to the topic of this thread. It's another issue altogether.

It is relevant because the Florida government is not providing assistance for the child/parents to easily get an abortion, now I don't see the government assisting in any way should the child self-blame after the rapist is put to death. It appears the Florida government's agenda does not include the wellbeing of the child in this matter. Why is this not relevant?

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 09:57 AM
link   

You are oblivious.

In a 2010 case, an 11-year-old female rape victim who suffered repeated gang rapes in Cleveland, Texas, was accused by a defense attorney of being a seductress who lured men to their doom.[64] "Like the spider and the fly. Wasn't she saying, 'Come into my parlor', said the spider to the fly?", he asked a witness.[64] The New York Times ran an article uncritically reporting on the way many in the community blamed the victim, for which the newspaper later apologized.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

You are oblivious.

In a 2010 case, an 11-year-old female rape victim who suffered repeated gang rapes in Cleveland, Texas, was accused by a defense attorney of being a seductress who lured men to their doom.[64] "Like the spider and the fly. Wasn't she saying, 'Come into my parlor', said the spider to the fly?", he asked a witness.[64] The New York Times ran an article uncritically reporting on the way many in the community blamed the victim, for which the newspaper later apologized.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Well future rapists facing the death penalty should definitely hire that defense attorney and they will surely get off with a slap on the wrist, actually without a slap on the wrist.

Disgusting.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:17 AM
link   

It is relevant because the Florida government is not providing assistance for the child/parents to easily get an abortion, now I don't see the government assisting in any way should the child self-blame after the rapist is put to death. It appears the Florida government's agenda does not include the wellbeing of the child in this matter. Why is this not relevant?

no it isn't
just see the topic of this thread.
If you want to discuss it then make a thread of your own.

You have made several attempts to argue that child rapists shouldn't receive the death penalty.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:19 AM
link   

You are oblivious.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

And?

Miscarriages of justice and victim blaming aren't valid arguments against the death penalty of child rapists.

Just like quintissentone you have made several attempts to argue that child rapists shouldn't receive the death penalty.

None of them are convincing.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:24 AM
link   

no it isn't

You have made several attempts to argue that child rapists shouldn't receive the death penalty.

I never stated they should not receive the death penalty, I am focusing on the child victim nothing else. It seems I am the only one focusing on the child because nobody else seems to give a damn about their wellbeing in the aftermath.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:26 AM
link   

You are oblivious.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

And?

Miscarriages of justice and victim blaming aren't valid arguments against the death penalty of child rapists.

Just like quintissentone you have made several attempts to argue that child rapists shouldn't receive the death penalty.

Actually Sook's post shows how rapists get off from being accountable and it would be the case getting them off from the death penalty too, why? you don't ask, because of the systemic victim blaming still rampant in our culture and nobody seems to be addressing it. Thank goodness for the metoo movement, which has been long due.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:27 AM
link   

no it isn't

I never stated they should not receive the death penalty, I am focusing on the child victim nothing else. It seems I am the only one focusing on the child because nobody else seems to give a damn about their wellbeing in the aftermath.

You can focus wherever you want but the topic you want to discuss it's not the topic of this thread.

Take a look at this

The vast majority of republicans and democrats did approve the bill both in the Senate and House which shows clearly what politicians and much of our society thinks of child rape and child rapists. The measure was approved by 34-5 in the Senate and by 95-14 in the House.

edit on 5-10-2023 by Muldar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:28 AM
link   

no it isn't

You can focus wherever you want but the topic you want to discuss it's not the topic of this thread.

Take a look at this

The vast majority of republicans and democrats did approve the bill both in the Senate and House which shows clearly what politicians and much of our society thinks of child rape and child rapists. The measure was approved by 34-5 in the Senate and by 95-14 in the House.

Everything is relevant to discuss when new laws are introduced because there are repercussions and hidden agenda.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You are oblivious.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

And?

Actually Sook's post shows how rapists get off from being accountable and it would be the case getting them off from the death penalty too, why? you don't ask, because of the systemic victim blaming still rampant in our culture and nobody seems to be addressing it. Thank goodness for the metoo movement, which has been long due.

Take a look again at that

Very unlikely a child will be blamed.
But the burden of proof is not on the accused.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:30 AM
link   

no it isn't

Take a look at this

Everything is relevant to discuss when new laws are introduced because there are repercussions and hidden agenda.

No.
The things you want to discuss are not relevant but deflections.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

I am the only one focusing on the child because nobody else seems to give a damn about their wellbeing in the aftermath.

That is pure poppycock and you know it

I even gave you the link to the Florida Health Sexual Violence page, that you ignored.

Try again

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

I am the only one focusing on the child because nobody else seems to give a damn about their wellbeing in the aftermath.

That is pure poppycock and you know it

I even gave you the link to the Florida Health Sexual Violence page, that you ignored.

Try again

Attempts at deflection as usual.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:33 AM
link   

no it isn't

Take a look at this

No.
The things you want to discuss are not relevant but deflections.

It's actually called discussing all facets of this law which should include it's basis for being enacted, which was asked of you by another poster and which you ignored, if it is unconstitutional, as well as repercussions for all concerned, which you want to ignore, and victim blaming which you also want to ignore. These are all relevant because these rapists could avoid the death penalty with the right lawyer, why is none of that relevant?

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Are you complaining about that?

If you didn't want people to post their opinions, et al, why did you post this in your OP?

CBS has called the new law 'controversial'.

Do you find it controversial or believe that those who rape children aged 12 or under deserve the death penalty.

See, I find the law controversial, and I don't believe the death penalty is an appropriate judicial sentence.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:41 AM
link   

You are not arbitrator of what are valid arguments against the death penalty. PERIOD

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 10:45 AM
link   

It's not the Government's responsibility to provide counseling. It's the parent's responsibility.

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join