It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plus-size lady who petitioned for free-extra plane seats now calls on hotels to enlarge hallways

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire
I cannot imagine the difficulty any number of people work through day to day within a society where their particular makeup places them on either end of the spectrum from the social mean. At 6’1” and 195, I have moved smoothly through the Western social standards and being right handed predominantly hasn’t hurt. Living in Japan a few times definitely gave me a taste of your experience…it’s a pity I hadn’t stopped consuming alcohol in those days, I may not of bashed my gnoggin’ on so many 5’10” door frames!

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

First Sook, finally someone has bothered to take a fuller look into this woman's situation rather than just, ah, shaming her.

However

businesses need to accommodate obese people too. I agree with her, that, If businesses are going to sell seats/rooms/amenities to obese people, or big and tall people, then they need to accommodate them.

There are windmills and then there are WINDMILLS. The airline industry already is over flowing with customers waiting in line to get on the planes. The airline industry does not NEED more customers especially customers that require special or individual accommodations, it's just not part of the business plan, the profit plan.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I could write another long tome describing the number of times I have lifted half of my scalp off. Scarring as proof.At least I still have a full head of glorious snow white hair.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
a reply to: Muldar

You are throwing out the baby with the bathwater again, as you always do.

One unreasonable two seats for one with comps request from a young woman who has a lot to learn about a business' bottom line. Give her time she'll clue in to that reality.

As for her other hotel in-room accommodations, she is absolutely reasonable.

The airline seat is cheaper than renovations.

Both will be billions in total, after every business jumps on the bandwagon for fear of the woke-attack.
edit on 2-10-2023 by stevieray because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray

a reply to: PorkChop96

It's business as usual with hotels and recooping expenses is done as per usual.

What I read in the OP is that she wants comps for paying for two seats, that is not getting something for free.

Anyway, if the hotel wants to take advantage of attracting the overweight American adult population to use their hotel then again it's good business sense to accommodate them in the very cheapest way...toilet, handheld shower sprayer and stronger and wider restaurant/poolside chairs.

Of note, the U.S. is not even the top country for obesity so they need to consider that too in their bottom line to attract global travelers.

Geez, I can just imagine the logo and the motto.
Unintended consequences of your movement, that you will probably hate.

There is no movement, there is only accommodation for a growing global population of bigger travelers and if a business wants to make more money, well offer a unique bigger and more comfortable experience for that large demographic. Good business sense.

I have all the compassion in the world for people, but accommodating extremes within defined parameters is not “good business “ as you stated, not from a cost accounting perspective in anyway, which is the backbone of any good business idea.

My wife owns a boutique clothing line, she does a unique line of camouflage, where the size of a large portion of the purchasing demographic is of a greater stature, so in her case it has made sense to go out of her way to accommodate that size, however it is so much more expensive due to amount of raw materials and time in manufacturing etc.. she has had to build some of that cost into an average cost analysis in order to not lose her arse… and her loving husband’s hard earned and limited funds😉

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I could write another long tome describing the number of times I have lifted half of my scalp off. Scarring as proof.At least I still have a full head of glorious snow white hair.

Pity I didn’t get to know you while we still lived in Talent Oregon.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:35 PM
link   

a reply to: Sookiechacha

First Sook, finally someone has bothered to take a fuller look into this woman's situation rather than just, ah, shaming her.

However

businesses need to accommodate obese people too. I agree with her, that, If businesses are going to sell seats/rooms/amenities to obese people, or big and tall people, then they need to accommodate them.

There are windmills and then there are WINDMILLS. The airline industry already is over flowing with customers waiting in line to get on the planes. The airline industry does not NEED more customers especially customers that require special or individual accommodations, it's just not part of the business plan, the profit plan.

Well, we’re gonna kill the auto industry for electric cars that nobody wants, so we may as well kill the airline industry to make some large people feel loved.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Are there stories that go with this ?

Or is this a metaphor that I’m not understanding ?

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

None of what you listed are chosen things.

Being obese, 99% of the time, is a choice.

Choose to make a difference in your own life before you expect others to do it for you, not that hard of a concept.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Choose to make a difference in your own life before you expect others to do it for you, not that hard of a concept.

Where is your source for that statement?

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

Nay, feel free to take it at face value, nothing beyond your comprehensive skills.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I need a source for common sense?

Wow, really scraping the bottom of the barrel for an argument aren't you?

If you can't acknowledge that simple fact, that 99% of obese people choose to be that way, then you are as ignorant as you are blind.

Prove that it isn't a choice and we will see how far you can actually get with your "argument"

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   

You may have missed his statement that he’s 6’3” 395 lbs.

Damn good source

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

originally posted by: stevieray

It's business as usual with hotels and recooping expenses is done as per usual.

What I read in the OP is that she wants comps for paying for two seats, that is not getting something for free.

Anyway, if the hotel wants to take advantage of attracting the overweight American adult population to use their hotel then again it's good business sense to accommodate them in the very cheapest way...toilet, handheld shower sprayer and stronger and wider restaurant/poolside chairs.

Of note, the U.S. is not even the top country for obesity so they need to consider that too in their bottom line to attract global travelers.

Geez, I can just imagine the logo and the motto.
Unintended consequences of your movement, that you will probably hate.

There is no movement, there is only accommodation for a growing global population of bigger travelers and if a business wants to make more money, well offer a unique bigger and more comfortable experience for that large demographic. Good business sense.

I have all the compassion in the world for people, but accommodating extremes within defined parameters is not “good business “ as you stated, not from a cost accounting perspective in anyway, which is the backbone of any good business idea.

My wife owns a boutique clothing line, she does a unique line of camouflage, where the size of a large portion of the purchasing demographic is of a greater stature, so in her case it has made sense to go out of her way to accommodate that size, however it is so much more expensive due to amount of raw materials and time in manufacturing etc.. she has had to build some of that cost into an average cost analysis in order to not lose her arse… and her loving husband’s hard earned and limited funds😉

Of course she had to build the extra materials and time into the cost and are her customers gladly paying it? I'd say yes, because bigger people know more material/time is needed to make that garment.

Put it this way, replacing a toilet and adding a hand sprayer in a shower won't hurt the bottom line much and could be replaced and recategorized for bigger customers without a hitch IMO and, again, opens the doors to a wider customer base.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:45 PM
link   

as this is a conspiracy forum the obesity levels could easily be down to the chemicals and hormones in our food.

indeed there was a point liberals and greens where blaming the transgender crisis on those chemicals.

I've watched what my daughters in laws eat and the volume isn't there to make them fat so it must be what's in the the food not the volume of food..

the notable differences between the health and unhealthy is ultra processed foods..

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

You may have missed his statement that he’s 6’3” 395 lbs.

Damn good source

It's only a damn good source when he speaks for himself and not 99% of a demographic.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I need a source for common sense?

Wow, really scraping the bottom of the barrel for an argument aren't you?

If you can't acknowledge that simple fact, that 99% of obese people choose to be that way, then you are as ignorant as you are blind.

Prove that it isn't a choice and we will see how far you can actually get with your "argument"

Yeah, I need a source from the 99% of obese people. Where is it?

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

Even if it was just in the food, there are things that can be done to change how they affect you.

They make pills for damn near everything, they have weight loss surgeries, weight loss shots, all of these work well and have bene proven to do so if you follow the aftercare.

Ultra processed foods, mostly, are a choice that people make to eat

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Do you have information that contradicts my opinion?

Do you have anything real to add besides "hotels can easily make accommodations for fat people and it won't cost them much money"?

You are so quick to demand a source when something contradicts what you want to believe, but when others do the same for you, "they can find it themselves".

So why don't you go find it for yourself and if you can't then I will take that as your agreeance that obesity is a choice.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Do you have information that contradicts my opinion?

Do you have anything real to add besides "hotels can easily make accommodations for fat people and it won't cost them much money"?

You are so quick to demand a source when something contradicts what you want to believe, but when others do the same for you, "they can find it themselves".

So why don't you go find it for yourself and if you can't then I will take that as your agreeance that obesity is a choice.

Being obtuse and deflecting and still no source?, all right I'll let you off the hook because it's just not worth my effort.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join