It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plus-size lady who petitioned for free-extra plane seats now calls on hotels to enlarge hallways

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: Muldar

originally posted by: PorkChop96
a reply to: Sookiechacha

You and Quint keep throwing around that "fat shaming" bs as if we are making fun of her for it, we are simply implying that it is not the worlds fault that she is fat.

Stating facts and observations is hardly fat shaming.

But I can see why that is yalls favorite trigger word for this thread, since it's not about the good ole alphabet mafia you two hold near and dear to your hearts.

When you deny her disabilities and perhaps prescription drugs being the cause of weight gain, then calling her a blob, what else can it be but fat shaming and embracing ignorance?

You don't that.
Pulmonary hypertension is not associated in many cases with obesity and the causes are unknown.

What drugs is she taking that causes her to be obese?

You need a little more than a statement to argue drugs cause obesity.

Impossible to do when she claims to have disabilities (plural) but has told of only one.

Back to what she is advocating for: (comps for extra seats, sure why not? wider hallways, not sure that is possible)

Chaney also suggested hotels raise their toilet seats and retrofit each room with handheld shower heads so bigger-bodied people can more easily wash themselves.

Hotels should provide size-inclusive bathrooms,” she said in the video. “These should go up to size 6X and beyond.”

Additionally, Chaney said hotels should put up handrails in pools and invest in sturdier and wider chairs for the lounges and pool-side so that larger-bodied people can relax in peace.

What is wrong with these requests so bigger people can actually enjoy their stay at a hotel (and wash themselves properly too)?

I can tell you I've done some travelling in my time and I am not tall and find some toilets in some hotels too low. Also those flimsy chairs poolside are a hazard and every time I try to get onto one I'm waiting for it to collapse.

Just like many of you felt totally in the right claiming Social Media sites had the right to censor who or what they want as they are private…so too do all businesses have the right to make choices that benefit their bottom line and accommodate their philosophy.
edit on 2-10-2023 by BlueJacket because: Sp

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

So I guess this taken form her social media page, that is in the OPs link, is not saying she wants a free seat?

See, that's the thing, if this was such a big issue for hotels, airplanes, etc, don't you think they would have addressed it before?

Do you think if it was a real issue for them that they would have taken action before this entitled 26 year old decided she has had enough?
edit on 2-10-2023 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Muldar

By the time I was in high school my shoe size was 15eee. I was forced to squeeze into size twelves for years because there were no sizes big enough for me , Maybe there were but not in our budget nor anywhere we could find. I took to wearing tennis shoes and stretching them for days and days before wearing them. During warm seasons I would cut out the top of the front end of the tennies so that my toes would not be so badly squushed. Finally in my twenties larger shoe sizes became available. But even now those plus sizes are limited and more expensive.

The world does not cater to nonconformity especially in the hands of profit oriented producers.Product and services that seek profit gear towards a generic consumer, it's a simple fact of life and the capitalist system. Now however that is changing somewhat with the availability of product that caters to nonconformity but on a much smaller scale which of course increases the price for the product. This woman fails to understand this.

So, young woman, learn to be you and not a pampered clone that the rest of the worlds economic system caters to.

I"m also a plus size person standing at 6' 4'' as a sixteen year old and now, sixty years later still stand at 6' 4''. My entire life has been a struggle to find clothes tall enough to fit. Here and there was a store that would cater to tall people but most of them went out of business because their prices had to be high to survive, but so high that tall people would never become clothes horses.

My girth is also, well over that of the common man. Cars have always been a struggle for me. Some I could fit comfortably fit in were rare. I took to convertibles so that I wouldn't have to scrunch all the time, had to develop gymnastic poses to get into and out of cars. Trucks now are how I have to travel because all these little cars are just that, cars made for little people. Sitting at a stop light I have to lean forward and look up because I cannot see the hanging traffic light because my head is so close to the ceiling.

I only go into this because others here are right, this gal needs to suck it up and deal with it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I"m left handed. All lefties here know that this world is operated for righties. I remember in school trying to learn how to write. We had to sit in desks that had a built in little table that of course was made for right handed kids. Because I was already the tallest kid in school, I had to squeeze into those desks. And because the desks were made for right handed kids, kids who were not tall, the arm rest that was necessary to learn penmanship with ones arm resting on the desk was an impossibility for me. So there I was tall and left handed trying to learn penmanship in a small desk made for right handed kids of average height. My left arm would dangle unsupported in mid air as my hand was the only stabilizing factor while writing. And of course back then that left hand would rub across the paper smudging both pencil lead markings and then pen inking so that each and every paper I turned in was a mess. So my first year in high school offered a class in typing. I took it and have been typing ever sense. This may explain why so much of my posting here tends to go on and on and on cuz I love it so much. See?

when I fly, which is not often at all, I learned early on to get a window seat. I learned how to scrunch up against the window and not move for six to ten hours at a time. I would not eat or drink much for at least a day before a flight and even then make sure to visit the lavatory and do my duty to make sure I would not have to visit it on the plane,

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:50 PM
link   

So I guess this taken form her social media page, that is in the OPs link, is not saying she wants a free seat?

See, that's the thing, if this was such a big issue for hotels, airplanes, etc, don't you think they would have addressed it before?

Do you think if it was a real issue for them that they would have taken action before this entitled 26 year old decided she has had enough?

She can ask for freebies all she wants, doesn't mean she'll get it. Give her time to experience more of life and the beatdown - nobody gets anything for free still stands and always will in business.

Her other hotel in-room requests are very reasonable and doable.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Backtracking now that you were proved wrong? What a surprise

Then I will make sure hotels send you the bill buddy

Failed to answer the rest of my reply. Care to give it a try?

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   

a reply to: PorkChop96

It's business as usual with hotels and recooping expenses is done as per usual.

What I read in the OP is that she wants comps for paying for two seats, that is not getting something for free.

Anyway, if the hotel wants to take advantage of attracting the overweight American adult population to use their hotel then again it's good business sense to accommodate them in the very cheapest way...toilet, handheld shower sprayer and stronger and wider restaurant/poolside chairs.

Of note, the U.S. is not even the top country for obesity so they need to consider that too in their bottom line to attract global travelers.

Geez, I can just imagine the logo and the motto.
Unintended consequences of your movement, that you will probably hate.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I am 6'3" and weigh 390 pounds.

I have never found a hotel, airplane, stadium seat, car, etc that fit me perfectly. But, I also realize that I am not meant to be this big and have taken action to correct that issue.

Instead of playing the victim card and demanding everyone cater to me because I am special, I use what is available and make do with what I have. The only thing that is impossible are the things that you choose not to do

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:55 PM
link   

You always do this, fixate on one point and not the whole.

She is young, she needs a reality check when it comes to a business' bottom line. She needs more life's experience. There are no freebies is what she needs to learn.

As for her other requests

link   

You always do this, fixate on one point and not the whole.

She is young, she needs a reality check when it comes to a business' bottom line. She needs more life's experience. There are no freebies is what she needs to learn.

As for her other requests

link   

If she didn't then there wouldn't be any problem. If you pay for two seats then you can have them. But that's not what her demands are. 'Inclusivity' don't you remember?!

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray

a reply to: PorkChop96

It's business as usual with hotels and recooping expenses is done as per usual.

What I read in the OP is that she wants comps for paying for two seats, that is not getting something for free.

Anyway, if the hotel wants to take advantage of attracting the overweight American adult population to use their hotel then again it's good business sense to accommodate them in the very cheapest way...toilet, handheld shower sprayer and stronger and wider restaurant/poolside chairs.

Of note, the U.S. is not even the top country for obesity so they need to consider that too in their bottom line to attract global travelers.

Geez, I can just imagine the logo and the motto.
Unintended consequences of your movement, that you will probably hate.

There is no movement, there is only accommodation for a growing global population of bigger travelers and if a business wants to make more money, well offer a unique bigger and more comfortable experience for that large demographic. Good business sense.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I have never found a hotel, airplane, stadium seat, car, etc that fit me perfectly. But, I also realize that I am not meant to be this big and have taken action to correct that issue.

Instead of playing the victim card and demanding everyone cater to me because I am special, I use what is available and make do with what I have. The only thing that is impossible are the things that you choose not to do

How would you feel if that hotel, airplane, stadium seat, car set, restaurant seat did fit you nicely and comfortably, would your quality of life improve? Replacing seats in designated sections for bigger people is a quick and easy fix.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   

What a language exercise, to keep trying to prove that getting free stuff is not really free.
Well it is true in the big picture. Big girl gets a bunch of absolutely free stuff, prices go up to fund this beautiful program, everybody else pays for it.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:00 PM
link   

You are avoiding questions asked to you, but your MO as usual.

I am staying on topic and addressing things you bring up.

She is young and needs to realize that her health needs to be number one priority, not making business bend to her every need because she doesn't want to hold herself accountable.

Keep ignoring questions that are asked to you though, we all know you avoid questions that poke holes in your echo chamber walls. Always have and always will

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:02 PM
link   

My quality of life will improve greater form me being accountable and getting my health and weight in order over all of those things bending to meet my "needs.

But I guess I'm not some entitled and selfish victim.

Quick and easy if you have the money to do so. Again, care to front the bill for that?

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Muldar

You are throwing out the baby with the bathwater again, as you always do.

One unreasonable two seats for one with comps request from a young woman who has a lot to learn about a business' bottom line. Give her time she'll clue in to that reality.

As for her other hotel in-room accommodations, she is absolutely reasonable.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:07 PM
link   

How would you feel if that hotel, airplane, stadium seat, car set, restaurant seat did fit you nicely and comfortably, would your quality of life improve? Replacing seats in designated sections for bigger people is a quick and easy fix.

Not long ago, people who wished their clothes and chairs would fit them better, went on a diet or bought new stuff.

Running around screaming that everyone else should hand over the goods is kind of a new thing.

I like your appeal to “we’ll all be so happy if everyone will just give us what we ask for !”

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Trying to make this about a "business bottom line" is the funniest thing I think you have done here.

She wants special treatment because she is different and that is all that this is, nothing more.

As I stated earlier, their are already disabled rooms in all hotels that have those type of "accommodations", all she has to do is look instead of getting a normal room and demanding they adapt it to her needs

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm a big guy.

When I fly, I fly 1st class so I can sit comfortably and not make the others sitting next to me uncomfortable.

But then again, I'm not an entitled fatass demanding free crap.
edit on 2-10-2023 by DBCowboy because: Boomer

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Trying to make this about a "business bottom line" is the funniest thing I think you have done here.

She wants special treatment because she is different and that is all that this is, nothing more.

As I stated earlier, their are already disabled rooms in all hotels that have those type of "accommodations", all she has to do is look instead of getting a normal room and demanding they adapt it to her needs

Special treatment is also sought by the disabled, elderly and the young with developmental problems should they not be accommodated either? These accommodations aren't unreasonable for bigger people and would take minimal renos IMO.

Like I said, this is a growing demographic of global travelers and the hotels should accommodate them IMO as well as anyone else with any other type of issue who asks for it.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join