It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plus-size lady who petitioned for free-extra plane seats now calls on hotels to enlarge hallways

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Putting.

Too.

Much.

Food.

On.

Your.

Fork.

Makes.

You.

Obese.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Oh yeah. Isn't Talent one of the towns that got burnt to a crisp a couple years back? We seldom get south of Grants Pass.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Yeah, maybe so. Isn't this a bit like when alcoholism went from being a sign of weak character to an illness?

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: BlueJacket

Oh yeah. Isn't Talent one of the towns that got burnt to a crisp a couple years back? We seldom get south of Grants Pass.

Yes sir, 2020, we fled for our lives, daughter (9 at the time), wife, me, Pyrenees, cat and 33 quail! Only lost 1 quail in the ordeal and our lungs. So we left last April for the Midwest.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 06:15 PM
link   

MOD NOTE
Call me crazy, but isn't this more about hotels and airlines making concessions for the morbidly obese, and not why or how they got that way???

BE AWARE THAT IF YOUR POST IS NOT ON TOPIC AND/OR IS ABOUT OTHER MEMBERS YOU MAY BE ABOUT TO BE POST BANNED!
AND, PLEASE REMEMBER THERE IS NO MORE MUD PIT....MUD NOT ALLOWED.

Everyone and I mean everyone is allowed to post here on topic and to do so without being called names or becoming the target of others' posts. Debate the topic and leave each other out of it. OPPOSING VIEWPOINTS are encouraged.

These rules apply to all threads and if you want to engage in personal attacks there are other sites on the Internet where you can do that. Our goal is for ATS to be above that. For members here to post like mature adults.
YOU are responsible for your own posts

And, as always...
Do not reply to this post.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 06:23 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 06:32 PM
link   
These people are not "disabled" they are OVERWEIGHT!

I had a disease that made me lose hearing in my right ear. I can't hear properly and when the stupid $#@$ mask mandates came out I had a horrible time communicating with people, in fact, it made me not want to go anywhere in public where I had to try to communicate with people. Do you know what happened when I asked people to pull their masks down??? Oh, the horror. No one gave two craps about my "disability."

I have more of a "disability" than that entitled muppet and I wouldn't even think about asking people to do things differently just so I can hear. I can't bring back my hearing and it's no one's responsibility but mine to make sure I can communicate.

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: KMeRMoRe
NO.

It still costs more to make those changes. More material, more labor, and specialty products that aren't freely available in the market such as reinforced bed frames.

Now, if they want to renovate a few rooms in this way and charge more for them, go for it. Just don't make me pay more because this person has no self-control when it comes to eating.

a reply to: quintessentone

If a person is considered disabled or having mobility issues, no matter the reason, then the accessible room should be accommodating for all people in any situation ... period

There are design strategies for hotel rooms where everyone could be accommodated and most of these require less furniture to free up more space, so, bonus, saving money right there.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: KMeRMoRe
These people are not "disabled" they are OVERWEIGHT!

You really can be both. Don't you go to Walmart?

Now that's a place where the AISLES need to be wider, to accommodate those electric shopping carts with 600 pound shoppers driving them.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Anyone can claim they have disabilities, doesn't mean they have them.

Until she proves what she has, she has none.

Obesity is still not a disability, no matter how many times you try to say it is. Get with the program.

You choose not to believe her because you'd rather fat shame her, typical.

I reply to this even if it was for someone else.
You have made a range of claims and put yourself in an impossible position.

Obesity isn't a disability
Hypertension isn't a disability
Mysterious illnesses are not disabilities.

There isn't much on this mysterious illness.

In the links I used there is nothing there where she claims she has a disability.

But anyway when you're obese and you want two seats in an airplane you have to pay for it. Companies have no obligation to 'accommodate' someone who is obese.
edit on 2-10-2023 by Muldar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

You can't assume she has "other illness and disabilities" if nothing is listed in the op.

Now if you would care to add a source that lists all of her illness and "disablitites" that would be a good start for you

I posted a link previously where it she stated that she had disabilities (plural). So she must be accommodated as a disabled person and as she is also extremely obese, for whatever reason which none of us know why she is, that must be accommodated too.

It is accommodated, in a handicapped suite.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Because even though they are asking for it, if you created a PLUS SIZE Hotel, you will still be shamed and branded fatphobic.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
Because even though they are asking for it, if you created a PLUS SIZE Hotel, you will still be shamed and branded fatphobic.

Why aren't the floors moving? Why do I have to walk to the room? It could cause chaffing!!

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Muldar

Just tell her to enlarge the hallway you have to lose floor space in the rooms, so they would need to install smaller refrigerators.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Talking about accommodating, my local
drive thru banking has braille.
Like, how many blind people drive ? yikes!
Tampons in male wash rooms . .. .
then there the guy who says his crocodile is his
Emotional Pet Support . . .
worse is the guy with testes demanding
accommodation to the little girls rm.
As for any obese people staying at hotels,
please consider the distress and trauma inflicted
on the spa and masseuse workers,
and extra wear and tear on the bed springs.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muldar
Let's see how to deal with this matter.

I haven't read all umpteen pages of this thread yet, so I'm going to post this anyway. My take is probably different than everybody else's opinions. But I'm going to state them nonetheless.

Doesn't everybody remember when airline seats, parking spaces, grocery bags, automobiles, Hostess Ding Dongs, toilet paper, etcetera, used to be bigger? They all got downsized and it cost all those who made and downsized those things X amount of dollars to change them. So the cost of change should be a moot point. And the public was forced to go along with all these changes because "change is good," or "join the 21st century already," or "technology will make everybody's life better." I've had all three of those things said to me and "no sir.... I didn't like it."

Well if society is changing, in any way, those companies should have to accept changes as well. It's the age-old goose/gander principle.

"Come on, man! Change is good!"

As far as the woman in the OP is concerned, what she does with her life is only her and possibly her doctor's business. I, or anybody else, don't have the right to tell her how to run her life. Personally, though, I can't blame her complaints because the world is literally being shrank down around her.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind
In the UK budget airlines came about and they tried for a while to run with a seat throw of 26 inches. Only midgets, oopps sorry, height challenged people, could sit comfortably in them. On a loser, so they changed to 28 inch seat throw. Even that is tight for most people. The industry tried to get them to adopt a 30 inch throw bbuuuttt, 28 inch rather than 30 inch they can get in another 4 rows, kerching.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Laziness is not a disability.

Those people are perfectly fine walking in and out of the store on their own 2 feet, yet when they get in there, they can't walk unless it's to get out of their scooter to reach for that extra bag of donuts.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
In the UK budget airlines came about and they tried for a while to run with a seat throw of 26 inches. Only midgets, oopps sorry, height challenged people, could sit comfortably in them. On a loser, so they changed to 28 inch seat throw. Even that is tight for most people. The industry tried to get them to adopt a 30 inch throw bbuuuttt, 28 inch rather than 30 inch they can get in another 4 rows, kerching.

Well it appears other airlines in other countries than the U.S. have policies in place, such as "one person one fare".

Outside of the US, the Australian Consumer Law prohibits airlines from charging passengers different amounts based on their body sizes.

Meanwhile, the “one person, one fare” (1p1f) policy, which prevented domestic airlines Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz and WestJet from charging passengers requiring an extra seat for more than one fare, was passed by the Canadian Transportation Agency in 2008.

Obesity is recognized as a disability in Canada, and passengers must be considered “functionally disabled by obesity,” to meet the requirements for a free extra seat.

However, the rule only applies to domestic flights, which means that plus-size travelers still need to buy an extra seat when going on an international flight.

www.cnn.com...

The same woman is in the article above, as we can see she needs an oxygen machine, which takes up space. Just that alone should allow her an extra seat because the airline is not providing anywhere else for her to put it or stow it closely when needed.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Well it appears other airlines in other countries than the U.S. have policies in place, such as "one person one fare".

Outside of the US, the Australian Consumer Law prohibits airlines from charging passengers different amounts based on their body sizes.

Meanwhile, the “one person, one fare” (1p1f) policy, which prevented domestic airlines Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz and WestJet from charging passengers requiring an extra seat for more than one fare, was passed by the Canadian Transportation Agency in 2008.

Obesity is recognized as a disability in Canada, and passengers must be considered “functionally disabled by obesity,” to meet the requirements for a free extra seat.

However, the rule only applies to domestic flights, which means that plus-size travelers still need to buy an extra seat when going on an international flight.

www.cnn.com...

The same woman is in the article above, as we can see she needs an oxygen machine, which takes up space. Just that alone should allow her an extra seat because the airline is not providing anywhere else for her to put it or stow it closely when needed.

That's very different to being obese and make demands. Some people make a disability or a condition that requires them to need oxygen and am oxygen machine.

Obesity isn't a disability or a condition that usually requires you to need oxygen although some obese people do have breathing issues or cardiac related issues and there are accommodated well known hen they travel or go when they go about their lives.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muldar

www.cnn.com...

That's very different to being obese and make demands. Some people make a disability or a condition that requires them to need oxygen and am oxygen machine.

Obesity isn't a disability or a condition that usually requires you to need oxygen although some obese people do have breathing issues or cardiac related issues and there are accommodated well known hen they travel or go when they go about their lives.

In other countries, 'yes' obesity can be deemed a disability it's in the article I posted. Oh right, nobody ever reads my sources.

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join