It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plus-size lady who petitioned for free-extra plane seats now calls on hotels to enlarge hallways

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
a reply to: carewemust

Laziness is not a disability.

Those people are perfectly fine walking in and out of the store on their own 2 feet, yet when they get in there, they can't walk unless it's to get out of their scooter to reach for that extra bag of donuts.

They made a Michigan Walmart widen the parking spaces even more. Benton Harbor Michigan . Doctors say big equals disabled.
edit on 10/3/2023 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Other countries deeming obesity to be a "disability" is only enabling more people to become obese.

When you make it easier and easier for fat people to get what they want and it to be easier for them to be fat, why would anyone want to be skinny?

What incentive is there to be healthy?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Got a source for that?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Other countries deeming obesity to be a "disability" is only enabling more people to become obese.

When you make it easier and easier for fat people to get what they want and it to be easier for them to be fat, why would anyone want to be skinny?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

As stated previously with sources, obesity can be caused by genetics, medication, mobility issues (disability), wheelchair bound, etc. etc. etc.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: Muldar

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind
In the UK budget airlines came about and they tried for a while to run with a seat throw of 26 inches. Only midgets, oopps sorry, height challenged people, could sit comfortably in them. On a loser, so they changed to 28 inch seat throw. Even that is tight for most people. The industry tried to get them to adopt a 30 inch throw bbuuuttt, 28 inch rather than 30 inch they can get in another 4 rows, kerching.

Well it appears other airlines in other countries than the U.S. have policies in place, such as "one person one fare".

Outside of the US, the Australian Consumer Law prohibits airlines from charging passengers different amounts based on their body sizes.

Meanwhile, the “one person, one fare” (1p1f) policy, which prevented domestic airlines Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz and WestJet from charging passengers requiring an extra seat for more than one fare, was passed by the Canadian Transportation Agency in 2008.

Obesity is recognized as a disability in Canada, and passengers must be considered “functionally disabled by obesity,” to meet the requirements for a free extra seat.

However, the rule only applies to domestic flights, which means that plus-size travelers still need to buy an extra seat when going on an international flight.

www.cnn.com...

The same woman is in the article above, as we can see she needs an oxygen machine, which takes up space. Just that alone should allow her an extra seat because the airline is not providing anywhere else for her to put it or stow it closely when needed.

That's very different to being obese and make demands. Some people make a disability or a condition that requires them to need oxygen and am oxygen machine.

Obesity isn't a disability or a condition that usually requires you to need oxygen although some obese people do have breathing issues or cardiac related issues and there are accommodated well known hen they travel or go when they go about their lives.

In other countries, 'yes' obesity can be deemed a disability it's in the article I posted. Oh right, nobody ever reads my sources.

Let's repeat this.

That's very different to being obese and make demands. Some people have a disability or a condition that requires them to need oxygen and am oxygen machine.

Obesity isn't a disability or a condition that usually requires you to need oxygen although some obese people do have breathing issues or cardiac related issues and there are accommodated well known hen they travel or go when they go about their lives.

What countries regard obesity as being a disability?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Pretty sure this has been cited before:

www.cdc.gov...#:~:text=Many%20factors%20can%20contribute%20to,medications%20also%20play%20a%20role.

Causes of obesity: eating patterns, physical activity levels, and sleep routines.

All lifestyle choices not linked to genetics, meds, or other disabilities

Genetic obesity can be cured with medications. I know this first hand

Obesity from medications is usually a side effect and can be counteracted fairly easily

Mobility issues and other disabilities causing obesity can all be treated but people usually choose not to.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:14 AM
link   

As stated previously with sources, obesity can be caused by genetics, medication, mobility issues (disability), wheelchair bound, etc. etc. etc.

But mostly it is caused by plenty of junk food in combination with being lazy and refuse to move.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Pretty sure this has been cited before:

www.cdc.gov...#:~:text=Many%20factors%20can%20contribute%20to,medications%20also%20play%20a%20role.

Causes of obesity: eating patterns, physical activity levels, and sleep routines.

All lifestyle choices not linked to genetics, meds, or other disabilities

Genetic obesity can be cured with medications. I know this first hand

Obesity from medications is usually a side effect and can be counteracted fairly easily

Mobility issues and other disabilities causing obesity can all be treated but people usually choose not to.

From your source:

Why are you glossing over what it is stating?

Obesity is a complex disease that occurs when an individual’s weight is higher than what is considered healthy for his or her height. Obesity affects children as well as adults. Many factors can contribute to excess weight gain including eating patterns, physical activity levels, and sleep routines. Social determinants of health, genetics, and taking certain medications also play a role.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I am not glossing over anything, I covered everything that you just copy and pasted but you chose to ignore that because it goes against your narrative.

Health, genetics, and social determents are all things that can be overcame. But most people are too lazy or poorly informed and so they choose not to.

But, don't you also think that if they were more prevalent they would have listed them first and foremost?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:22 AM
link   

But mostly it is caused by plenty of junk food in combination with being lazy and refuse to move.

To stay on topic, we are discussing this disabled/obese woman traveler's request for accommodation for not only her disabled state but for her obese state within a disabled state - so two issues maybe connected, maybe not.

Her asking for seats to have no armrests, or a hand sprayer in the shower, and a toilet that is higher off the ground is something I am sure the majority of overweight people would enjoy having too in venues. Upgrade and reno existing wheelchair accessible rooms, easy fixes IMO.

Laws indicating that obesity is a disability have parameters and criteria which would most likely include obesity from causes beyond one's control and which the person would have to prove. That's why laws in other countries allow for obesity to be deemed a disability because it can be under certain conditions.

More and more people are becoming what is technically termed 'obese' so the hospitality industry needs to change or accommodate EVERY BODY.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

Health, genetics, and social determents are all things that can be overcame. But most people are too lazy or poorly informed and so they choose not to.

Blanket statement with no backup source/proof that genetics, social environmental factors, and ill health (wheelchair bound) can all be overcome.

You are being obtuse, but carry on if that's how you get your kicks.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:27 AM
link   

You failed to read my previous statement that I know first hand that genetics can be overcome when it comes to obesity. I have done it, my father did, and my sister has.

You just choose to ignore peoples experience because it doesn't come form one of your beloved sources.

Carry on with being ignorantly to the fact that if you cater to obesity, what incentive does that give anyone to be healthy and not obese?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:28 AM
link   

You failed to read my previous statement that I know first hand that genetics can be overcome when it comes to obesity. I have done it, my father did, and my sister has.

You just choose to ignore peoples experience because it doesn't come form one of your beloved sources.

Carry on with being ignorantly to the fact that if you cater to obesity, what incentive does that give anyone to be healthy and not obese?

Just because your family did it does not mean the other 99% of people can do it.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:28 AM
link   

To stay on topic, we are discussing this disabled/obese woman traveler's request for accommodation for not only her disabled state but for her obese state within a disabled state - so two issues maybe connected, maybe not.

Her asking for seats to have no armrests, or a hand sprayer in the shower, and a toilet that is higher off the ground is something I am sure the majority of overweight people would enjoy having too in venues. Upgrade and reno existing wheelchair accessible rooms, easy fixes IMO.

Laws indicating that obesity is a disability have parameters and criteria which would most likely include obesity from causes beyond one's control and which the person would have to prove. That's why laws in other countries allow for obesity to be deemed a disability because it can be under certain conditions.

More and more people are becoming what is technically termed 'obese' so the hospitality industry needs to change or accommodate EVERY BODY.

What disability she has?

Being obese isn't a disability.
She is making a range of demands that haven't been received well and she isn't going to get what she wants.

Should we make cars and buses bigger because of obesity?

Maybe hotel hallways could be enlarged if we take them down and then rebuild them.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Muldar

Yes, make everything wider or it's termed 'accessible' or 'inclusive' if they are in a wheelchair or have an oxygen machine and happen to be obese because of mobility issues. I'm not sure what your problem is with disabled people who happen to be obese. But that's not it, now is it? It's because she's a young social warrior trying to effect societal change. You have other terms for people like her, now don't you?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Yes, make everything wider or it's termed 'accessible' or 'inclusive' if they are in a wheelchair or have an oxygen machine and happen to be obese because of mobility issues. I'm not sure what your problem is with disabled people who happen to be obese. But that's not it, now is it? It's because she's a young social warrior trying to effect societal change. You have other terms for people like her, now don't you?

There isn't any problem as far as I know.

Problem is with those who eat the junk and keep eating the junk and continue upon this path without even wanting to change (and without moving) and then make a range of demands.

What disability she has?
You mentioned this earlier.
edit on 3-10-2023 by Muldar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:50 AM
link   

As stated previously with sources, obesity is mostly caused by eating patterns, physical activity levels, and sleep routines.

CDC Basic Causes of Obesity
Eating patterns, physical activity levels, sleep routines are the top causes listed.
Those are CHOICES a person makes.
Things like genetics are an 'also' added on.
In other words ... not playing a primary role like eating patterns.

Obesity is a complex disease that occurs when an individual’s weight is higher than what is considered healthy for his or her height. Obesity affects children as well as adults. Many factors can contribute to excess weight gain including eating patterns, physical activity levels, and sleep routines. Social determinants of health, genetics, and taking certain medications also play a role.

Genetic changes in human populations occur too slowly to be responsible for the obesity epidemic

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

As stated previously with sources, obesity is mostly caused by eating patterns, physical activity levels, and sleep routines.

CDC Basic Causes of Obesity
Eating patterns, physical activity levels, sleep routines are the top causes listed.
Those are CHOICES a person makes.
Things like genetics are an 'also' added on.
In other words ... not playing a primary role like eating patterns.

Genetic changes in human populations occur too slowly to be responsible for the obesity epidemic

Nowhere in your source does it state 'mostly' caused by anything.
edit on q000000531031America/Chicago5555America/Chicago10 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:55 AM
link   

There isn't any problem as far as I know.

Problem is with those who eat the junk and keep eating the junk and continue upon this path without even wanting to change (and without moving) and then make a range of demands.

What disability she has?
You mentioned this earlier.

She uses a wheelchair and an oxygen machine, what don't you understand about that being a disability?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Nowhere in your source does it state 'mostly' caused by anything.

Common sense and basic reading skills are required.
The primary causes are listed first and in order.
Eating patterns, physical activity levels, and sleep routines.
Then, in a new sentence, additional 'could be' type causes are listed.
Social determinants of health, genetics, and taking certain medications.

The PRIMARY reasons for obesity are eating patterns, physical activity and sleep routines.
This is how the CDC lists it.
Like I said ... basic reading skills and common sense are required to understand this.

You continually leave out the primary listed reasons for obesity -
overeating and lack of physical activity.
So why is that, eh?

edit on 10/3/2023 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join