It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plus-size lady who petitioned for free-extra plane seats now calls on hotels to enlarge hallways

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Muldar

but being a lard a@@ is listed as a cause for pulmonary hypertension.

second on the list, from the link.

Other things that can raise the risk of pulmonary hypertension are:
A family history of the condition.
Being overweight.

so it would seem that there is no mystery as to why she has f pulmonary hypertension.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Hospitals provide healthy choices

Yeah. I always like the way the lime Jello finished my pallet after my hospital fish sticks, canned green beans and microwaved French fries.

edit on 2-10-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

Being overweight.

so it would seem that there is no mystery as to why she has f pulmonary hypertension.

That's not necessarily true.
Many cases of pulmonary hypertension are not related to being obese.

It could be related but how do you know??

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

Being overweight.

But yet and regardless of the cause, when someone demands to be treated very differently then that will cause a lot of issues. These demands are not going to be met.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Do you have any information showing that diabetes causes obesity?

Diabetes: Why Am I Gaining Weight?

How does insulin resistance affect my body?
The development of insulin resistance typically increases insulin production (hyperinsulinemia) so your body can maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Elevated levels of insulin can result in weight gain, which, in turn, makes insulin resistance worse.

Eating junk all day and not moving at all will make you obese in the vast majority of cases.

Pulmonary hypertension isn't necessarily related to obesity. In many cases the causes are unknown.

You're trying hard to say that being obese is predetermined and accuse others of fat shaming without any evidence.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It's nice to see some folks stand behind the fatty-fat, just a small warning. . . .

Just don't stand too close behind them, especially if she's gonna sit.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:01 PM
link   

MOD NOTE
Call me crazy, but isn't this more about hotels and airlines making concessions for the morbidly obese, and not why or how they got that way???

BE AWARE THAT IF YOUR POST IS NOT ON TOPIC AND/OR IS ABOUT OTHER MEMBERS YOU MAY BE ABOUT TO BE POST BANNED!
AND, PLEASE REMEMBER THERE IS NO MORE MUD PIT....MUD NOT ALLOWED.

Everyone and I mean everyone is allowed to post here on topic and to do so without being called names or becoming the target of others' posts. Debate the topic and leave each other out of it. OPPOSING VIEWPOINTS are encouraged.

These rules apply to all threads and if you want to engage in personal attacks there are other sites on the Internet where you can do that. Our goal is for ATS to be above that. For members here to post like mature adults.
YOU are responsible for your own posts

And, as always...
Do not reply to this post.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Bottom line

Hotels shouldn't go into major renovations to accommodate morbidly obese people.
Airlines shouldn't give free seats to morbidly obese people taking up two seats.
Their own life choices most likely made them that way (I gave the links).
We shouldn't have to pay for their bad life choices.
That is what would happen ... we all would pay for it ... accommodations aren't free.

edit on 10/2/2023 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: matafuchs
Again, let's change everything for .0004% of the population that is obese not because of eating too much.

The overall overweight, obese and extremely obese numbers for all the American population is two thirds of overall population, by all means don't accommodate the majority.

So what, you think you can just widen all hotel corridors, doorway..etc, etc??..the list will grow. You have any idea at all what that entails? No, sometimes it's just not feasible to entertain some things.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:08 PM
link   
In a twist of irony, widening the halls necessitated taking out the elevators.
She wouldn't be happy then either.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Again, let's change everything for .0004% of the population that is obese not because of eating too much.

The overall overweight, obese and extremely obese numbers for all the American population is two thirds of overall population, by all means don't accommodate the majority.

So what, you think you can just widen all hotel corridors, doorway..etc, etc??..the list will grow. You have any idea at all what that entails? No, sometimes it's just not feasible to entertain some things.

Hotels/motels can make accommodations on ground level floors. Replace ground floor windows with outside accessible sliding doors, replace toilets add handheld shower sprayer...boom done! Buy bigger resin furniture for size and strength...boom, poolside comfort for all! Maybe honeymooners would want a larger lounge chair to share, hmm?

Where there is a will, there is a way.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Most obesity is a result, not a condition. I can't believe you are defending this lady.

Let's just say a hotel room is renovated just for people like her, let us just say that there is a hotel company out there that is stupid enough to do such a thing. Who do you think will pay for the cost of the renovation? That's right, everyone else that stays there. Room costs will most likely rise and we will all pay for it, fat and skinny.

Why oh why should I pay extra because she won't control her caloric intake? I don't care what heart condition she has. You guys really need to stop making excused for people's poor life decisions.

a reply to: Sookiechacha

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:10 PM
link   

What she ate as a kid is irrelevant.

I disagree. She was 17, just a kid, when she was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension . Her doctors were telling her that her illnesses were due to her weight. So, at 17, she was already obese.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:12 PM
link   

It could be related but how do you know??

i don't that's why i said it would it would seem.
that said if you apply a simple version Occam's Razor, and reading her history of being in and out of shelters and knowing some people use food as a coping mechanism and it becomes a addiction.

and reading this from that little blog

During those 25 hospital visits, Chaney remembered doctors and health care professionals tried to dismiss the symptoms as just side effects of her weight. But after years of dealing with racism and size discrimination, she wasn’t about to allow medical discrimination to keep her bedridden.

chances are very high that's what it is. remember da nile is a river in africa and addicts no matter what professionals tell them are gonna deny that's what the problem is.

sort like gonna have her cake and eat it to.

edit on Mon Oct 2 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: SOURCE IS NEEDED ASAP

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

No, I mean that what she ate as a kid is irrelevant because she is able now to choose what she puts in her mouth to eat. She makes bad life choices which causes obesity, and expects everyone else to accommodate her and pay for her bad habits. That's not fair. That makes no sense. She should eat better and exercise like everyone of moderate weight does. She should grow the hell up.

link   
I’d like to take it a step further in the opposite direction of what this woman is looking for.

I propose a fat ass tax. If you’re that overweight, you create way more wear and tear on anything you come in contact with. The sheer pressure of your weight destroys objects.

Additionally, I’m sick and tired of fat asses walking down the middle or standing in the middle of hallways, forcing me to squeeze around them. These people literally take up the space of 3 people - and they expect us to bend around them…..

link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

During those 25 hospital visits, Chaney remembered doctors and health care professionals tried to dismiss the symptoms as just side effects of her weight. But after years of dealing with racism and size discrimination, she wasn’t about to allow medical discrimination to keep her bedridden.

Sounds more like she didn't get proper care or diagnoses and despite all that and discrimination too she did not become bedridden. Good for her. She's a fighter.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Hotels/motels can make accommodations on ground level floors. Replace ground floor windows with outside accessible sliding doors, replace toilets add handheld shower sprayer...boom done! Buy bigger resin furniture for size and strength...boom, poolside comfort for all! Maybe honeymooners would want a larger lounge chair to share, hmm?

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Things are seldom that simple, and they wouldn't be. You really have no idea the planning, what has to be done/engineered to make that happen. It extends far beyond the simplicity you describe..and who pays for it?

Anyway, hotels generally already have a number of handicapped accessible suites.

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join