It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College student gets zero grade in her project for using the term biological woman

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels
a reply to: quintessentone

So the university policy is using the word 'woman' is against the rules because it is offensive?

Do you have a source other than tic toc?

Anything that causes others offense or harm is against the rules. The student now has decided that term is redundant so she will follow the rules, get the paper graded in a week's time, and try to get her professor fired. End of this sad story.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Where did you get this information?

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Where did you get this information?

This student is making tic toc videos one after the other. It was only luck that I found the one where she apologized and then threatened to get her professor fired.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

Now you should consider if you’re debating a “trans woman”.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: linda72

Look times a changing. The reasoning behind the adversity of using more distinct and precise language, is either mental deficit as in lack of empathy or just some fear related issues.

some will be that historically on the wrong side caracter that was trying to justify the N words by explaining the latin etymology and therefore justifying its use and their inability to adapt...
Evolution is a bitch but we really wont miss them...

Nice thread...

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

So the university policy is using the word 'woman' is against the rules because it is offensive?

Anything that causes others offense or harm is against the rules. The student now has decided that term is redundant so she will follow the rules, get the paper graded in a week's time, and try to get her professor fired. End of this sad story.

Wait, wait, wait ...

*Anything* that causes others "harm" or "offense". So if it harms me and offends me to have to refer to myself as something I'm not - something other than a biological woman, then it should be against the rules. If I have to call myself a "cisgender", a slur made up by others in another group and imposed on me like the "n" word was, then it should be against the rules.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
a reply to: linda72

Look times a changing. The reasoning behind the adversity of using more distinct and precise language, is either mental deficit as in lack of empathy or just some fear related issues.

some will be that historically on the wrong side caracter that was trying to justify the N words by explaining the latin etymology and therefore justifying its use and their inability to adapt...
Evolution is a bitch but we really wont miss them...

Nice thread...

Oh, you mean like some justify cisgender with its latin etymology?

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: quintessentone

Wait, wait, wait ...

*Anything* that causes others "harm" or "offense". So if it harms me and offends me to have to refer to myself as something I'm not - something other than a biological woman, then it should be against the rules. If I have to call myself a "cisgender", a slur made up by others in another group and imposed on me like the "n" word was, then it should be against the rules.

Again, those are the institution's rules you on the other hand don't have to follow their rules unless you sign up for one of their liberal arts courses.
edit on q00000037630America/Chicago2323America/Chicago6 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I'm saying the institution's rules are open enough that the student can claim harms herself. She is obviously harmed and offended.

She is offended by the terms she is forced to use, and now with the grade imposed, she is harmed. Both of those conditions would seem to be very much against university policy and both conditions are imposed on her by others. Might as well tell African Americans they have use the "n", not African American, and tell gays they must use the Brit slang for cigarette instead of homosexual or gay or whatever term they prefer that does not offend them.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I'm saying the institution's rules are open enough that the student can claim harms herself. She is obviously harmed and offended.

She is offended by the terms she is forced to use, and now with the grade imposed, she is harmed. Both of those conditions would seem to be very much against university policy and both conditions are imposed on her by others. Might as well tell African Americans they have use the "n", not African American, and tell gays they must use the Brit slang for cigarette instead of homosexual or gay or whatever term they prefer that does not offend them.

That is a matter of opinion and dependent on which side of the fence you are on.

Actually this student is not taking on the university's rules and policies rather she has chosen to direct her offense at her professor and is trying to get her fired. Who is harming whom?

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

Maybe people have a resistance to forced language change because it is known to be a method of thought control.

Why do some people have a need to force speech on others?

Personally, I don't think there should be any prohibition on any language. What is intrinsically WRONG with the N word?

A bunch of trained seals.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

'bitch' is a word that offends me as much as the N word offends others.

It just rolled off your keyboard without hesitation!

Who gets to decide this stuff for everyone?
edit on 6/4/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:33 AM
link   

And this right here is why there is no right to not be offended and why speech codes like these are Orwellian.

You cannot police offense. No one ever knows for sure exactly what will or offend or whom will be offended.

And so the very idea of freedom from offense is antithetical to free speech. Trying to couch this in terms of morality and painting those who despise it as heartless bastards is again, offensive. You are intentionally trying to offend and shame people into complying by making them feel bad are you not? Isn't precisely what the entire stated purpose of this is supposed to be, if so, then why are the tactics used to enforce compliance all based around verbal bullying with offense?

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   

And this right here is why there is no right to not be offended and why speech codes like these are Orwellian.

You cannot police offense. No one ever knows for sure exactly what will or offend or whom will be offended.

And so the very idea of freedom from offense is antithetical to free speech. Trying to couch this in terms of morality and painting those who despise it as heartless bastards is again, offensive. You are intentionally trying to offend and shame people into complying by making them feel bad are you not? Isn't precisely what the entire stated purpose of this is supposed to be, if so, then why are the tactics used to enforce compliance all based around verbal bullying with offense?

Staying on topic here, the university sets up rules and policies to protect 'all' students from offense and harm. If a student wants to do a paper on transwomen in sports then the nuances with that vary greatly. Again, she knew what she was getting into and went in there defiant. She is still defiant and placing her defiance in the wrong direction. She has a lot to learn still.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Except they are NOT protecting "all" students. This student was not protected. I already explained why. She is being forced to use words and terms that are demeaning and offensive to her, personally. The university is not protecting her from that. Again, you might as well tell an African American that they have to use the term negro or simply the "n" word because that's the term that protects everyone from being offended ... Oh, and then justify it by explaining how negro goes back to the Latin word for black ...

Just because the professor and university decree that this or that word is "unoffensive" does not magically make it so for everyone.
edit on 4-6-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Except they are NOT protecting "all" students. This student was not protected. I already explained why. She is being forced to use words and terms that are demeaning and offensive to her, personally. The university is not protecting her from that. Again, you might as well tell an African American that they have to use the term negro or simply the "n" word because that's the term that protects everyone from being offended ... Oh, and then justify it by explaining how negro goes back to the Latin word for black ...

Just because the professor and university decree that this or that word is "unoffensive" does not magically make it so for everyone.

The syllabus explained it completely what was expected of her terminology in the paper, so she chose to not be forced to follow the rules. She has since apologized and is now following the rules and she never said the terms cisgender or biological female were demeaning or offensive to her, those are your words.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Have you seen the syllabus for yourself, does it say you can't use the term "biological women"? You keep saying this, but I have yet to see you show us a copy of the syllabus you seem to have.
edit on 4-6-2023 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:12 AM
link   

It is demeaning and offensive to be forced to use terms for things that aren't what they clearly are. You are forcing someone to use a lie.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Have you seen the syllabus for yourself, does it say you can't use the term "biological women"? You keep saying this, but I have yet to see you show us a copy of the syllabus you seem to have.

The student read it out on her one of her many, many tik tok vids about this. Go dumpster dive there at tic tok yourself, I am done with this nonsense.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Get a lot of your information off of tik tok? What a wonderful and definitely not biased platform.......

What exactly did the syllabus say about not using the term "biological women"?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join