It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College student gets zero grade in her project for using the term biological woman

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels
a reply to: quintessentone

Except her terminology is NOT incorrect, therefore her professor is in the wrong and teaching hot garbage.

Well transfolk say she used incorrect terminology, who would know best you, me or them?

Well, Obviously you and them.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 07:38 PM
link   

The Funk and Wagnall's?

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Except her terminology is NOT incorrect, therefore her professor is in the wrong and teaching hot garbage.

Well transfolk say she used incorrect terminology, who would know best you, me or them?

Why are they the only ones who get to arbitrate?

I feel like a woman, but I don't get to define what that is? Only they do? No. That's not how it works unless, of course, the real agenda of the trans lobby actually is to cancel women.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I feel like a woman, but I don't get to define what that is? Only they do? No. That's not how it works unless, of course, the real agenda of the trans lobby actually is to cancel women.

You don't have to, but the student does because she voluntarily signed up for a liberal arts course, feminism - women's sports. She knew exactly what she was getting into.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 07:45 PM
link   

You don't have to, but the student does because she voluntarily signed up for a liberal arts course, feminism - women's sports. She knew exactly what she was getting into.

Did she?

I would have signed up for such a course once upon a time because I was a female athlete who was used to going my own way. I was, or thought I was, everything the feminist movement wanted. These days though, they want men in dresses apparently.

I am passe and nothing I did counts for anything. Nothing I am still doing counts for anything because I don't have a dick.

It's the height of irony when you think about it because in my day, it was all about showing that girls could do what they wanted without needing to have one.
edit on 3-6-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Wait... you kept ranting earlier about how we didn't know what this course title was nor a catalogue description. So, now you claim to know?

Any course should not be failing a student for using a perfectly acceptable and scientifically accurate terminology.

If you DuckDuckGo 'definition of woman' it will return 'an adult human female'. That's it. Easy Peasy. If you enter 'definition of biological' it will return, related to biology and related genetically.

So there you are. Professor is in the wrong. Regardless of the school rules are, unless they are 'you pay us boo coo bucks and we will muddle your head with complete fantasy'. Do you think that was in the syllabus?

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Did she?

I would have signed up for such a course once upon a time because I was a female athlete who was used to going my own way. I was, or thought I was, everything the feminist movement wanted. These days though, they want men in dresses apparently.

I am passe and nothing I did counts for anything. Nothing I am still doing counts for anything because I don't have a dick.

It's the height of irony when you think about it because in my day, it was all about showing that girls could do what they wanted without needing to have one.

I also was a female athlete and would have looked at sports management instead of liberal arts because the two are different things altogether.

I wonder what other topics were available to this student where she would not have had any issues with terminology. It appears she had previous problems in another class because she refused to use pronouns that others requested she use.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Pronouns are not personal. They are, by nature and grammatical design supposed to be generic and impersonal. A "personal pronoun" is an oxymoron. The grammatical function of the pronoun is to serve as a catch all generic placeholder in the conversation/text to replace the more specific, personal nominative. The minute everyone takes on a "personal" pronoun, the pronoun loses that function and the language gets clunky because you lose the facility of the generic.

And that is me wearing my editor hat saying that. The minute I start writing a text with two or three different subjects and each has clunky "personal pronouns" that do not follow the expected rules of the language, I may as well default to their personal names. The reader will be left in the same space trying to keep track of what pronoun refers to which antecedent.

Trying to hold a conversation like that gets even more nightmarish.
edit on 3-6-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

Have you considered that you may be debating the teacher? LOL
edit on CDT2023p2023-06-03T20:22:25-05:00Sat, 03 Jun 2023 20:22:25 -0500pmf30 by Topcraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Topcraft

Well, Obviously you and them.

Nope, them I haven't bothered to keep up and I know they will just let it go because I have no hate towards them.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

The student read from the syllabus and the interpretation is one that falls into the category of 'I'll just ignore that part'.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Topcraft

Or her clone is highly possible.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Pronouns are not personal. They are, by nature and grammatical design supposed to be generic and impersonal. A "personal pronoun" is an oxymoron. The grammatical function of the pronoun is to serve as a catch all generic placeholder in the conversation/text to replace the more specific, personal nominative. The minute everyone takes on a "personal" pronoun, the pronoun loses that function and the language gets clunky because you lose the facility of the generic.

And that is me wearing my editor hat saying that. The minute I start writing a text with two or three different subjects and each has clunky "personal pronouns" that do not follow the expected rules of the language, I may as well default to their personal names. The reader will be left in the same space trying to keep track of what pronoun refers to which antecedent.

Trying to hold a conversation like that gets even more nightmarish.

I agree it can get nightmarish, that is why I will use 'they' or ask their name, but I will let them know that I'm just an old dog who does not want to learn new tricks and I mean no disrespect.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't understand why we women are now the bad people because we want to keep the rights and equal standing we fought so hard to establish. To become second class again, and we are called derogatory names and attacked for defending women as women!

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:31 PM
link   

got a source for her pronoun refusal? other than tic toc that is?

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:39 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

I don't understand why we women are now the bad people because we want to keep the rights and equal standing we fought so hard to establish. To become second class again, and we are called derogatory names and attacked for defending women as women!

You don't have to defend women as being women because you can define yourselves as biological females whereas transwomen can not and will never be able to use that definition, end of discussion, and that would be the correct definition to use for females - biological female.

Who is calling you derogatory names and attacking you? I happen to think transwomen in female sports is not a fair playing field because their brains may show up leaning towards a female brain, but also to a male brain and their bodies are not leaning towards the female side. So they will have the upper edge in female sports.

This is the real true science out there.

The brains of transgender women ranged between cisgender men and cisgender women (albeit still closer to cisgender men), and the differences to both cisgender men and to cisgender women were significant (p = 0.016 and p < 0.001, respectively). These findings add support to the notion that the underlying brain anatomy in transgender people is shifted away from their biological sex towards their gender identity.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:40 PM
link   

got a source for her pronoun refusal? other than tic toc that is?

She is only on tic tok and admits it herself. Believe me I never went to tic tok for anything before but I needed to see what is this student's game.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:42 PM
link   

As long as the dictionary still defines a woman as an adult human female, then I and the student are not wrong.

American Heritage Dictionary is what comes up with DuckDuckGo when you request the definition of woman... it says simply 'adult human female'.

Why does this bother you so?

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Her 'game' isn't relevant because she wasnt incorrect. Her professor is wrong.

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 08:44 PM
link   

As long as the dictionary still defines a woman as an adult human female, then I and the student are not wrong.

American Heritage Dictionary is what comes up with DuckDuckGo when you request the definition of woman... it says simply 'adult human female'.

Why does this bother you so?

You just made my point, the professor's point, the university's point...'female' not 'woman' - just put biological in front of female and there you have it as per the dictionary.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join