It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Ukraine Update Thread - part 3

page: 296
<< 293  294  295    297  298  299 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Ukraine has been having territory inside their border struck for years now.

Is Ukraine just supposed to take the licks and not hit back?

If Russia shoots some of those down and they land elsewhere it’s not like the Ukrainians aimed it there.

Seriously ? Beach goers are NOT Enemy Combatants .

Did Ukraine aim it there, or did it get shot down there?

Because one means intent and the other doesn't.

Let’s not pretend Russia hasn’t hit any civilians. But this one is different? Why is that if Ukraine clearly was aiming for a military target?

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Ukraine has been having territory inside their border struck for years now.

Is Ukraine just supposed to take the licks and not hit back?

If Russia shoots some of those down and they land elsewhere it’s not like the Ukrainians aimed it there.

Seriously ? Beach goers are NOT Enemy Combatants .

Beach-goers in a combat zone take their chances like everyone else there. War is messy and ordnance ends up landing in all kinds of places. The people wanting to sun themselves can go the coastline near Georgia instead of trying to relax in a combat zone, cause you know, Zant ... life is easier when one makes intelligent choices.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 04:00 AM
link   
25 June Update

Ukrainian forces conducted a drone strike on a Russian ammunition depot in Voronezh Oblast on June 25 and recently conducted strikes on Pantsir-S1 air defense systems in Belgorod Oblast with unspecified weapons. Ukraine's Main Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) reported on June 25 that it struck a field ammunition depot in Olkovatka, Voronezh Oblast, and geolocated footage published on June 25 shows a smoke plume near Olkovatka. Russian opposition outlet Astra reported that an unspecified source stated that GUR conducted the strike with two drones and that the drones struck two ammunition warehouses that held over 3,000 shells. ( Me: Apparently, the air defense system had been in the same spot for SIX MONTHS ... very poor practice for handling high-value weaponry.)

Dagestan Republic Head Sergei Melikov ordered investigations into the personal records of senior Dagestani officials following the June 23 likely Wilayat Kavkaz terrorist attacks in Dagestan, indicating that the Kremlin may be intensifying efforts to address Islamist extremist threats in the North Caucasus as it attempts to maintain a veneer of stability and normalcy. (Me: May have been a one time shot, but I don't think so. Putin's southern border may be catching fire as the radicals there realize he is up to his neck in alligators trying to subdue Ukraine.)

Ukrainian forces recently regained lost positions in Vovchansk, and Russian forces recently advanced near Siversk and Avdiivka.

More at URL above.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

I think its been inevitable that the numerous extremists and Separatists inside Russia would start pushing their own agenda's and causes as Putin becomes more and more entangled in the mess that is his invasion of Ukraine.

If The West/US/UK/NATO were truly interfering in Russian affairs and seeking the break up of Russia they would have invested heavily in these groups and we'd see far more internal agitation than we are currently seeing.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
Beach-goers in a combat zone take their chances like everyone else there. War is messy and ordnance ends up landing in all kinds of places. The people wanting to sun themselves can go the coastline near Georgia instead of trying to relax in a combat zone, cause you know, Zant ... life is easier when one makes intelligent choices.

Cheers
Yes!

There are some smarter Russians...the ones cancelling their plans to vacation in a combat zone!
I hear there have been a lot of cancellations of Russian vacation plans in Crimea lately, since the civilian deaths there hit the Russian media. Of course if they were really smart, they wouldn't have planned to vacation in a combat zone in the first place, but at least the smarter Russians are cancelling those plans. I think a lot of the really smart Russians left when Putin announced the big mobilization and there were long lines of Russians at the borders leaving the country.

Speaking of the not-so-smart Russians, a lot of them sign up for the military voluntarily to collect the big (for Russia) pay Putin is offering. But I don't think they find out about the only 12% survival rate in the first assault in the Kharkiv region until they get there and are ordered to go into Ukraine machine-gun fire in suicide meat waves. When they do realize that, the big pay no longer seems so great, and instead of getting mowed down in a near certain suicide mission, many want to retreat or even desert.

originally posted by: gortex
Band of Brothers ?
"A video appearing to show a wounded Russian soldier being shot dead by another Russian soldier shows the "brutal culture" of Moscow's armed forces, says a US-based thinktank."

news.sky.com...
I heard Russia recruits some prisoners who may not have much empathy for others, which may be why they ended up in prison in the first place. In face some Russians aren't happy about prisoners freed by Wagner after 6 months of fighting, like the man who murdered the daughter of some Russian parents is now walking free, and the parents are very unhappy about it, that's just one example.

Anyway there are entire squads of Russian soldiers whose job it is to kill other Russian soldiers if they try to conduct an "unauthorized retreat".
Ukraine decided to employ a strategy to take out the Russian "anti-retreat" units in the Kharkiv region where Russian losses have been extremely heavy. Once the "anti-retreat units" are destroyed, Russians can retreat or even desert the army without getting killed by other soldiers from their own army, at least not immediately. This video explains the Ukraine tactic in detail:

24 Jun: Genius! Ukrainians KILLED Russian ANTI-RETREAT UNITS Causing Chaos | War in Ukraine

Today, there is a lot of news from the Kharkiv direction.

Here, desertion has become a major problem for Russian forces, prompting the deployment of penal units to kill everyone who engages in unauthorized retreats. However, Ukrainians have strategically targeted these penal unit headquarters, ensuring that the desertions continue, and further weakening the Russian frontlines.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Eastern European tactics on shooting deserters is well known.

Ukraine war: Deserters risk death fleeing to Romania

At least 90 Ukrainian draft dodgers and deserters are thought to have died trying to escape over the border into Romania.

"The Tisa was shallower than I expected, just up to my chest," said George. "So I didn't need to swim. I just waded across the river."

When he reached the Romanian shore, a Ukrainian patrol spotted him.

"I heard shots first, then a string of insults. But I wasn't afraid. When you've spent time at the front, you know the difference between bullets fired in the air, and bullets fired at you."

George is a big man with a soft face and a wounded look. As a deserter from the Ukrainian army, he would face 10 years in jail if he were caught.

Here’s the source by BBC.

www.bbc.com...

edit on 26-6-2024 by Imhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Imhere

"I heard shots first, then a string of insults. But I wasn't afraid. When you've spent time at the front, you know the difference between bullets fired in the air, and bullets fired at you."

www.bbc.com...

So Ukrainians were firing shots in the air, instead of firing at the deserter? According to that man, it sounds that way.

The Russians are not that fortunate, the Russians anti-retreat units are actually firing at the deserters. Actually I think some of those anti-retreat units are from Chechnya, and while some pretend to not be at war with Russia anymore under Kadyrov's control, I think they still hate Russians and are more than happy to kill them, since the Russians killed plenty of them.

www.youtube.com...

Recently, it was confirmed that the Russian Ministry of Defense has transferred elements of the Chechen Akhmat Spetsnaz to the Kharkiv region. Chechen Commander Apty Alaudinov claimed that some of his units are already engaged in active frontline battles. However, Ukrainian Khortytsia Group of Forces Spokesperson Nazar Voloshyn revealed that, in reality, Akhmat forces are serving as blocking units. These specialized disciplinary units are tasked with preventing unauthorized retreats by firing on their own troops if they attempt to withdraw to the international border area. Military analysts have noted that, based on the Akhmat forces' previous actions in other parts of the frontline, their deployment to Kharkiv is likely intended solely for this purpose, rather than for conducting genuine offensive operations.

Some of the Chechens hate Russians so much, they actually joined Ukraine's army so they could kill Russians without having to wait for them to retreat!

Now Fighting for Ukraine: Volunteers Seeking Revenge Against Russia

Chechens, Crimean Tatars and people from the former Soviet republics, all with deep historical grievances against Moscow, are eagerly taking up arms for Kyiv.

I don't think Ukraine wants to hire soldiers from Dagestan for their foreign legions, but they are still happy to see Dagestan people attacking Russia, since every additional attack on Ukraine's enemy helps Ukraine. But Ukraine has hired Chechen fighters.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I have little doubt the Chechens are about to start another war with Russia. Russians attempted genocide against the Chechens in the last war leveling their major cities. This is why they fight so well in Ukraine Russian tactics has not changed. They installed a puppet government and have managed so far to maintain control. Howrver that control is starting to waiver. Id say if other areas rise up against the Russians it will be just a matter of time before the Chechens kick off again. Last her heard Ukraine has 2 chechen battalions . And they are willing to take on russians in an effirt to free their country.

I guess they figure a defeat in Ukraine will make it impossible for them to hold chechnya.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I have little doubt the Chechens are about to start another war with Russia.

then the Kadyrovites would have to go home, oh well russia can close more prisons then.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: Imhere

www.bbc.com...

So Ukrainians were firing shots in the air, instead of firing at the deserter? According to that man, it sounds that way.

The Russians are not that fortunate, the Russians anti-retreat units are actually firing at the deserters.
Actually I think some of those anti-retreat units are from Chechnya, and while some pretend to not be at war with Russia anymore under Kadyrov's control, I think they still hate Russians and are more than happy to kill them, since the Russians killed plenty of them.

According to one guy.

But let’s be real, it’s not like Ukrainian guards are there shooting sunflowers and puppy’s at deserters here.

While Russians are the only ones that are actually enforcing those desertion laws.

Whether Ukraine’s deserters are getting shot or not, there are many who are getting caught and sacked for mobilization anyway and thrown in the grinder.

Also, talks have been heating up for those that fled abroad to get sent back home for mobilization.

Ukraine is struggling to meet its demand for soldiers

Volunteers aren't enough. The country constantly needs to replace the tens of thousands who've been killed or injured. Many more are just exhausted, after 18 months fighting off Russia's full-scale invasion.

Some men though don't want to fight. Thousands have left the country, sometimes after bribing officials, and others are finding ways of dodging recruitment officers, who in turn have been accused of increasingly heavy-handed tactics.

The way Kyiv conscripts men has been accused of being corrupt at its core.

President Volodymyr Zelensky has sacked every regional head of recruitment in Ukraine after widespread allegations against officers in the system, including bribe-taking and intimidation.

The family of one military draft chief in Odesa were even accused recently of buying cars and property on Spain's southern coast costing millions of dollars. The officer reportedly denies any knowledge of this.

Defence officials have told the BBC the alleged offences are "shameful and unacceptable".

Mobilisation is why most men under 60 can't leave Ukraine. Thousands often try to sneak out of the country, mostly across the Carpathian mountains to Romania.

Source BBC:

www.bbc.com...

edit on 26-6-2024 by Imhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2024 @ 02:52 AM
link   
26 June Update

(Chechen Republic Head) Kadyrov held a meeting with Chechen law enforcement agencies on June 25 in connection with the Dagestan attacks and called on Chechens to be especially vigilant and prevent their relatives from succumbing to religious extremism.

North Korea will reportedly send military construction and engineering forces to participate in "reconstruction work" in occupied Donetsk Oblast as early as July 2024. (Me: Lil' Kim finding work for the boys ... wonder if they'll end up in Russian infantry units ...)

Russia and Iran signed a memorandum on June 26 regarding the supply of Russian gas to Iran, following reported disagreements between Russia and the People's Republic of China (PRC) on the Russian supply of gas to the PRC.

Russian forces recently marginally advanced near Kupyansk.

Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) published a report on June 26 detailing a significant increase in Russia's military equipment and weapons production in 2023.

More at URL above.

Passing observation. War has moved to a more or less static phase marked by trench warfare and strikes by robotic weapons.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 27 2024 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

So to no-one's surprise Putin forges even closer links to North Korea and Iran.
And still those staunch Defenders of Freedom and Liberty voice their unwavering support for Putin.

Bizarre.

posted on Jun, 28 2024 @ 03:28 AM
link   
27 June Update

Ukraine signed long-term security agreements with the European Union (EU), Lithuania, and Estonia on June 27.

There is currently no evidence supporting recent reports that North Korea may be sending engineering forces to rear areas of occupied Ukraine, and ISW has been unable to locate the North Korean confirmation that some Western amplifications allege has been made.

Russian forces recently marginally advanced near Siversk, Avdiivka, and Donetsk City.

More at URL above.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 29 2024 @ 03:02 AM
link   
28 June Update

Ukrainian forces reportedly struck an oil depot in Russia on June 28 and reportedly struck a microelectronics plant and a military unit on the night of June 27 to 28. Tambov Oblast Governor Maksim Yegorov claimed that a drone struck an oil depot in Michurinsky Raion and started a fire on the morning of June 28. Russian opposition outlet Astra stated that the drone hit the Transnefteprodukt "Nikolskoe" linear production and dispatch station in Novonikolskoe. Astra also reported that Ukrainian forces struck an unspecified military unit in Karachev, Bryansk Oblast and the "Kremniy El" microelectronics plant in Bryansk City - one of the largest microelectronics manufacturers in Russia that makes components for military equipment - on the night of June 27 to 28.

Ukrainian StratCom stated that Ukrainian forces destroyed or damaged nine Su-25 aircraft, one Su-57 aircraft, two MiG-31 aircraft, roughly 13 Su-34 aircraft, two Su-35 aircraft, two A-50 long-range radar detection aircraft, one Il-22M11 airborne command post aircraft, and one Tu-22M3 strategic bomber in the first six months of 2024.

Ukrainian forces recently regained lost positions near Vovchansk and Kreminna, and Russian forces recently advanced near Chasiv Yar.

More at URL above.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 30 2024 @ 04:11 AM
link   
29 June Update

Russian ultranationalists continue to express growing doubt in Russian authorities' ability to prevent another terrorist attack and to address ethnic and religious tensions within Russia following the June 23 terrorist attacks in the Republic of Dagestan.

Ukrainian forces recently regained lost positions near Kreminna, and Russian forces recently advanced near Kupyansk, Chasiv Yar, Toretsk, and Donetsk City.

More at URL above.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 06:27 AM
link   
30 June Update

The Russian military command appears to be separating some limited elements of airborne (VDV) units and formations into smaller components across different sectors of the front ...

Ukrainian forces reportedly struck the Novolipetsk Metallurgical Plant (NLMK) in Lipetsk Oblast on June 30. Russian media outlet Baza reported on June 30 that seven Ukrainian drones and their debris struck the plant and damaged an oxygen separation unit and caused a fire in a garage on the plant's territory on the morning of June 30.

Military and civilian flights continue to experience GPS interference over Europe and the Middle East, highlighting the role of long-term GPS jamming in ongoing and future conflicts. The Telegraph, citing flight tracker data, reported on June 30 that hundreds of the United Kingdom (UK) Royal Air Force's (RAF) 1,467 total transport and surveillance flights between January and April 2024 experienced GPS interference.

Ukrainian forces recently regained lost positions near Kreminna, and Russian forces recently advanced near Lyptsi, Vovchansk, Kupyansk, and Avdiivka.

More at URL above.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 2 2024 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Putin red-faced as Russia drops 40 'mega bombs' on its own cities

Vladimir Putin is facing embarrassment as official Kremlin documents reveal that Russian warplanes have mistakenly dropped nearly 40 deadly glide bombs on their own cities, in what has been a damaging 24 hours for Russia.

Source

So, what's the cause? Bad release mechanisms designed with the help of North Korean engineers? Many of the glide bombs are old retrofitted bombs from Russia. Kind of like throwing rocks at the enemy if they don't blow up, but not good to drop on your own people.

posted on Jul, 2 2024 @ 10:19 AM
link   
1 July Update

Hungary assumed the six-month rotating presidency of the European Union (EU) Council on July 1.

Ukrainian forces recently advanced near Kreminna, and Russian forces recently advanced near Avdiivka.

More at URL above.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 3 2024 @ 05:39 AM
link   
2 July Update

Ukrainian Khortytsia Group of Forces Spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Nazar Voloshyn stated in an interview with Ukrainian outlet Suspilne Donbas on July 2 that Russian forces are beginning to storm Chasiv Yar from the Toretsk direction (south of Chasiv Yar) and have been attacking in the direction of Toretsk-Chasiv Yar using mainly small infantry groups and occasional mechanized assaults.

Ukrainian forces struck an ammunition depot at a Russian military base in occupied Crimea on July 1 that reportedly housed Shahed drones. Ukrainian Air Force Commander Lieutenant General Mykola Oleshchuk stated on July 2 that Ukrainian forces struck an ammunition depot in occupied Crimea on July 1.

Russian forces recently advanced near Vovchansk, Chasiv Yar, Avdiivka, and the Donetsk-Zaporizhia Oblast border area.

More at URL above.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 3 2024 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Perhaps you could explain this 'easy fix' in one of the Ukraine threads?

Russia gets Crimea and the Donbass region in Putin's last offer, NATO gets the rest. I know Russia does not want to hurt Kyiv, but if they make a strong push for it and cut Ukraine in half? If Biden gets back in, I am preparing for nukes. I find it hard to see Russia has the patience for another 4 years till another maybe election? I can see Putin holding back the tension hoping for a Trump election.

new topics

top topics

<< 293  294  295    297  298  299 >>

join