It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Ukraine Update Thread - part 2

page: 264
<< 261  262  263    265  266  267 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
Russia using nuclear plant as a shield:

BBC News - Ukraine war: 'Russia using nuclear plant as cover to shell us'
www.bbc.co.uk...

That's a good one, kind of similar to advanced Palestinian body armor (Children) I mean what are you going to use against that?

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: iamthevirus

Like Ukraine would want to damage their nuclear plant, lose 20% of their electricity supply and cause another Chernobyl with consequent very bad news for them?

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Heavy... they have Ukraine shelling their own power plant, accidentally albeit but they're obviously not as skilled at chess as them ruskies.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The allies should just roll out a few dozen land based CIWS, that ought to dobthe trick, an iron dome of sorts.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: GAOTU789

.....unlike what many may think by my posts, I don't support Ukraine outright.

Unfortunately too many people are incapable of recognising and/or understanding that opposition to the Russian invasion does not equate to total and complete support for the Ukrainian administration.

Sure elements within the current government are corrupt - pales into insignificance when compared to the corruption that is endemic in Russia.
And yes, the response of the Ukraine Army in Luhansk and Donetsk was excessive at times.
But they wouldn't have been there if there hadn't been so much aggression and brutality committed by Moscow funded Russian Militia's who were deliberately provoking in order to instigate such a response.

Ukraine never enjoyed total support from 'The West' hence it being refused admittance to NATO and the EU.

Ukraine was no military threat to Russia.
Ukraine was no financial or economic threat to Russia.

Nothing justified Putin's invasion.

But war is war and things happen - not excusing it just the way it is.
People are fighting for their lives first and foremost.
And for their families, loved one, their friends and the invaded are fighting for their homeland.

As you say, Ukraine would be far better served not getting involved in these acts of barbarism etc....but I doubt its going to happen.
Awful acts being committed by both sides.

The who debacle was avoidable and the ongoing killing is just needless and senseless.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: iamthevirus

Heavy... they have Ukraine shelling their own power plant, accidentally albeit but they're obviously not as skilled at chess as them ruskies.

Sure, they are

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

110% mate. I said pretty much the same thing in the other thread on this just a lot less fleshed out.

I support Ukraine's fight against the Russians as I believe the Russians invaded on BS pretexts and none of this would be happening if Russia had just stayed within their own borders. That includes the 8 years prior to the full scale invasion.

But that support isn't unconditional. Bad stuff happens during war, not going out of your way to cause it is pretty imperative if you want to hold any semblance of moral highground.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: GAOTU789
a reply to: Freeborn

110% mate. I said pretty much the same thing in the other thread on this just a lot less fleshed out.

I support Ukraine's fight against the Russians as I believe the Russians invaded on BS pretexts and none of this would be happening if Russia had just stayed within their own borders. That includes the 8 years prior to the full scale invasion.

But that support isn't unconditional. Bad stuff happens during war, not going out of your way to cause it is pretty imperative if you want to hold any semblance of moral highground.

x0xx00115264 IRQL

...argument invalid

/not enough info

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Russian delusions extend to reconstructing the old Russian /Soviet Empire which includes in addition to Ukraine and Belarus,
Moldova, Eastern Poland, the Baltics (Estonia, Latavia, Lithuania) , and Finland.

The Central Asia Stans (Uzbekistan , Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan) are ignored as being too poor and difficult to govern

some Russians would included Alaska in the mix ..........

edit on 5-8-2022 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 01:26 AM
link   
5 August Update

Key Takeaways

* Ukrainian officials confirmed that Russian forces are using Iranian-provided drones in Ukraine.

* Russian forces conducted unsuccessful ground assaults on settlements south of Bakhmut.

* Russian and Ukrainian forces exchanged heavy artillery fire in Pisky, suggesting that Russian forces are unlikely to have full control of Pisky despite Russian claims.

* Russian forces conducted several limited ground assaults to the north, northwest, and southwest of Donetsk City.

* Russian and Ukrainian forces accused each other of firing rounds near the Zaporizhia Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) in Enerhodar, but ISW cannot independently determine which party is responsible for the incident. Russian forces have repeatedly used artillery systems deliberately positioned within the complex to fire on targets across the Dnipro River.

* Russian forces unsuccessfully attempted to advance on Lozove, Kherson Oblast, likely targeting the Ukrainian bridgehead over the Inhulets River.

* Russian federal subjects are forming new volunteer battalions in Omsk and Samara Oblasts.

* Russian occupation authorities are likely accelerating passportization and rubleization efforts and civilian data collection in occupied territories in preparation for the upcoming pseudo-referenda on the annexation of occupied Ukrainian territory into Russia.

* The Kremlin is continuing to replace Ukrainian collaborators in Russian occupation administrations with Russian officials, likely to prepare for formal Russian governance of annexed areas.

More at URL above.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue
a reply to: xpert11

Putin seems to be squeezing the Tartar groups in Russia for manpower - he is forcing the groups like Buryats, Chuvash, Chechen , etc to form battalions to be sent to Ukraine to fight

Russia hasn't learned from their experiences with the Chechens in the 90s. From the fragments I have gathered, ex-Soviet Chechen conscripts gave the Russian armoured forces a bloody nose in an urban area—the perils of training and equipping soldiers or mercenaries who owe Russia no loyalty.

Has several advantages from Putin point of view in that increases Russians manpower, aka Boots on ground, without the politically explosive problem of conscripting ethnic Russians and other Slavs to fight and suffer casualties in an increasing
unpopular war .

Russia doesn't have access to the equivalent of the British Empire's personnel numbers and resources to fight the war in Ukraine. Moreover, the quality and structure of the Russian Army don't permit the integration of those nationalities and ethnic groups in their versions of Australia and New Zealand ground forces from WW1 and WW2.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Chechnya is going to be a problem for Putin. Chechen's are already forming groups to assist Ukraine and possibly revolt against Putin over Chechnya itself. The actions of Ramzan Kadyrov and his blind support for Putin has rubbed Chechen's the wrong way.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Yeah. I think the Chechnya situation is more one of (however many) Chechens who hate Kadyrov. They may also despise Putin, but they have their priorities.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 08:55 AM
link   
There is rumour Russia transferred Su-35 originally built for Egypt to Iran in exchange for Shahed-129 attack drones.

Shaheds For Sukhois: Speculation Iran Will Swap Drones For Russian Su-35 Fighters

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Chechen soldiers who fight in Donbas are given land in Donbas for reward.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DanGua

Nothing like giving a bad design to Iran...

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
Chechnya is going to be a problem for Putin. Chechen's are already forming groups to assist Ukraine and possibly revolt against Putin over Chechnya itself. The actions of Ramzan Kadyrov and his blind support for Putin has rubbed Chechen's the wrong way.

They see this as an opportunity to toss the Russians out of their country. Do not be surprised if the Chechen war goes for round 3. They only settled it last time through mass murder

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   

edit on Sat Aug 6 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 05:08 PM
link   

edit on Sat Aug 6 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

<< 261  262  263    265  266  267 >>

join