It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Ukraine Update Thread

page: 117
<< 114  115  116    118  119  120 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I've just read about what is a dramatic change of policy in Germany.

Since the end of WWII Germany hasn't spent much money on defence compared to other nations.
Subsequent generations have had the horrors of war drummed into them.

New Chancellor Scholz has just announced an extra £84billion funding for the German army along with sending arms to the Ukraine.
In addition he has added a constitutional commitment of 2% GDP spending on future military funding in accordance with NATO guidelines - something Germany has previously refused to do.

That is how alarmed and concerned Germany is at Russia's invasion of Ukraine and Putin's behaviour and actions.

How will Putin react to that given the historic enmity between Germany and Russia?

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

My bet is exactly in the manner that he is doing so.

That's being with offhanded threats of the use of nuclear weapons.

You will notice all the same, when he does that, his sycophant ministers don't exactly look to chuffed at the prospect.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Glad i'm firmly on the fence
since Soros and Shwab are all about Ukraine
There's more going on here than just Putin folks

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Was just reading a report on the Belarus troops . Stating max they can throw into the fight is around 17k untried troops . Ex Belarus para brigade commander urging troops not to fight

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:13 AM
link   

That may be for other things, like the long desired "EU army".

I also think Scholz is going to realize in short order he'll have problems finding enough volunteers in Germany to fill out any expansion. Anti-military sentiment there is strong.

To be fair, they could probably spend all of the money on upgrades and missing capabilities without standing up any new formations.

Cheers
edit on 28-2-2022 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:15 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

This funding is specifically earmarked for The German Army and in order to meet NATO commitments.

Anti-war sentiment has always been high in Germany since WWII - and who can blame them - but developments in Ukraine have shocked the German people and there is massive support for Ukraine.

Historically there is much enmity between German and Russia....they fear Putin's dreams of a Greater Russia.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Hmm. Could be, but German leadership will remain flexible. That's good ... as long as it doesn't become contortionist.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Why do you guys ignore the oil production of the US. Prior to Biden the US was an exporter of oil.

We were yes, but by a pretty small margin, we imported in 2020 roughly 7.8 billion barrels annually of crude and exported roughly 8.6 billion barrels annually. It was almost a wash. Though it does not detract from your point, technically we were a net exporter. My belief is that the infrastructure is being forestalled to see if, by some miracle, things work out between Russia - Ukraine amicably.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Anti-war sentiment has always been high in Germany since WWII - and who can blame them - but developments in Ukraine have shocked the German people and there is massive support for Ukraine.

Indeed, I imagine it rings far too many familiar bells for them.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Hmm. Could be, but German leadership will remain flexible. That's good ... as long as it doesn't become contortionist.

🤣🤣🤣

Just to put a bit more meat on the bones.

www.bbc.co.uk...
www.reuters.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:39 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
New Chancellor Scholz has just announced an extra £84billion funding for the German army along with sending arms to the Ukraine.

Too late.

Germany's actions re Ukraine and their slavish devotion to Russian gas have shown how compromised they are. They were the blocker for the implementation of the SWIFT sanction, and managed to get the Russian prohibition watered down.

Germany should have followed what the UK was advising weeks ago - to supply arms to Ukraine, but they even obstructed that by preventing overflight of Germany by UK transports. Now, with Ukraine holding out, they will send some arms. I guess if Russia had won in a couple of days, they could have at least congratulated themselves that they didn't waste a Euro in supporting a lost cause.

Germany has led the weak and uninspired challenge to Russia's bad behaviour and was weak around Crimea, but have rewarded Russia with beneficial economic connections.

On the 2% NATO commitment. Germany made that commitment in 2006, but have failed to live up to it. The only countries in NATO who spend 2% or more on defence are currently the US, UK, Poland, Greece and the Baltic States. Germany's weakness and utter pointlessness has given Putin the encouragement he has needed to invade Ukraine.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:45 AM
link   

It's actually quite stunning that move by Germany!

I never thought i would see, in my lifetime, any aggressive military spending in Germany and shifts in foreign policy.

One really has to hand it to Schultz.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Mostly correct.

But look a little close please.

ONLY the U.S. AND UK meet the 2% commitment without including what they spend on things like police and airport security, which are not supposed to be included in this.

Nobody else in NATO has ever paid what they promised in any single year.

edit on 28-2-2022 by PatriotGames4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:50 AM
link   
In an unparalleled action,, neutral Switzerland has adopted the EU sanctions against Russia.

“The Swiss Federal Council has decided today to fully adopt EU sanctions,” Cassis said during a news briefing. “It is an unparalleled action of Switzerland, who has always stayed neutral before.”

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: PatriotGames4u

Undeterred, Mr Scholz went on to announce drastic measures that would have been unthinkable a week ago, including a constitutional commitment to Nato's military spending target of 2% of GDP - and he confirmed that Germany would be sending weapons direct to Ukraine.

A committment like the above is something that is pretty significant. That will mean it will become incumbent upon them to do that via the calculus in their budgeting. Perhaps in years gone by they have not met that committment, but they will and im thinking they see the error of their ways by shelving NATO for so many years only to have their worst nightmare appear almost on their doorstep.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

It's actually quite stunning that move by Germany!

I never thought i would see, in my lifetime, any aggressive military spending in Germany and shifts in foreign policy.

One really has to hand it to Schultz.

Agreed.

Russia woke up Germany in spectacular fashion.

Germans are suddenly acting worthy of the leadership role they've been actively avoiding and pretending about for decades.

Well done vlad.

You really hurt us with that one.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Tend to agree with that mate.

The German government dithered and hedged its bets....but they've seen Putin and realised how far 'gone' he is, and I think they are scared.
Of course there are still sycophants but.....

It seems some are struggling with current developments.

There was an audible ripple of shock in parliament. Some MPs clapped, some booed, others looked stunned.
Undeterred, Mr Scholz went on to announce drastic measures that would have been unthinkable a week ago, including a constitutional commitment to Nato's military spending target of 2% of GDP - and he confirmed that Germany would be sending weapons direct to Ukraine

And lets not underestimate public opinion in times like this.
100,000 people marching in support of Ukraine in Berlin at the weekend.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: PatriotGames4u
Well done vlad.

You really hurt us with that one.

I think the pain isn't quite over yet either LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 114  115  116    118  119  120 >>

join