It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 5

page: 373
<< 370  371  372    374  375  376 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MissBeck

They're here every night, about this time, lol

I used to only do one screencap each (Worldo, BNO), but Phage convinced me to do a couple more, for those elsewhere (Some little island called Hawaii iirc....(runs away))

I would make noise here, as they do it every night at 8pm for our Health Workers, but i've listened, and I can't hear anyone in our village making noise, and seeing as a lot of them are old, don't want them getting woken up/scared/calling police

edit on 9-4-2020 by MonkeyBalls2 because: worldo,BNO and spelling

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is an interesting article.

Coronavirus: The world in lockdown in maps and charts

Loads of charts and graphs for comparisons.

I especially liked the pollution pictures, and would love to see where else it has affected.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyBalls2

Yes, each week more have come out. The first night an ambulance happened to come past and honked it's horn in appreciation. Tonight however, people had pots and pans clattering, fireworks went off, and a flare went up (I do hope it was for the nurses and not an emergency), and to top it all, 4 adult deer ran down the road!
The last one certainly wasn't in the plan!

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BPilgrim
a reply to: deltaalphanovember

I think the stated length of these lock downs should be taken with a heavy grain of salt. If they knew from day one that it would be around six months, they would never say so. They'd start with 4-6 weeks and then tack time on, doing otherwise would be too much of a shock. Just remember, all of us here are likely much better equipped to deal with the times than the average person. I'm personally thinking of it as an indefinite lock down.

It's also to prevent mass displacement of people.
So far, 25% of Paris residents have fled the town.
17% are residents who have gone to secondary homes in the 'countryside' and the rest are temporary workers who have gone back to their Homes/countries.

They all apparently did it before the lockdown though, info is from Mobile Phone providers, biggest one here being Orange (who used to be 'France Telecom').

edit on 9-4-2020 by MonkeyBalls2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Stuff like this just makes my blood boil!

Coronavirus: London Ambulance contractor 'stole face masks'

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissBeck

Did they give a reason for the extension? I know I'm getting itchy feet even though I'm working at home. I hope you adjust okay.

No reason except an abundance of caution. think it's the right thing to do to avoid a situation like France, Spain, Italy, UK and USA. Economically, we are in deep deep trouble.

But it's tough to handle when we have so few cases. The natural human reaction is "we avoided the worse of it" and I think we are going to start seeing civil disobedience of the lock down laws.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Stuff like this just makes my blood boil!

Coronavirus: London Ambulance contractor 'stole face masks'

This type of thing should be tried as equivalent to profiteering or Black-Market selling, as if we were under 'Times of War'.
Same with the people scamming for 'Cleaning Driveways' and stuff like that...
Throw the book at them, lock em up (on a nice secluded island), then throw away the key.

Gruinard Island might do the trick.
Don't think the Scots would mind, not like they'll be going there soon either.

(post by MamaJ removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   

an extension for the lockdown/slowdown means good things, hospitals don't want 120k people going to a hospital that can only handle 2k per day better to spread over 1-3 months save lives.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BPilgrim

I think the stated length of these lock downs should be taken with a heavy grain of salt. If they knew from day one that it would be around six months, they would never say so. They'd start with 4-6 weeks and then tack time on, doing otherwise would be too much of a shock. Just remember, all of us here are likely much better equipped to deal with the times than the average person. I'm personally thinking of it as an indefinite lock down.

I think they are just playing it by ear. Every government has to juggle economy vs lives right now.
If they choose lives as South Africa has done, can the economy be kick started quickly afterwards? If they choose the economy, will the loss of life cause loss of confidence in the government and an economic impact later?
Glad it's not my call.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: doggodlol

an extension for the lockdown/slowdown means good things, hospitals don't want 120k people going to a hospital that can only handle 2k per day better to spread over 1-3 months save lives.

My head says it's a good idea, my heart yearns for the freedom of the open pub.
edit on 9/4/2020 by deltaalphanovember because: spelling

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   

money is just paper/power to the people that have it.

life to the poor means living/food.

which means money/power = nothing/ life = means more

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: alphabetaone

Which means that the numbers we see really are the tip of the iceberg and that (like Cuomo admitted earlier) there's a lot of illness and death that's not being counted that are caused by COVID-19.

Also, it means the R0 is on the same order as polio. A worrying statistic to me.

A better analogy might be smallpox, which also has an R0 of 5-7 and is transmitted by airborne droplets. (link to slide with some common R0's for diseases)

And now that I look at it, even the mortality figures appear to be similar Thankfully the huge difference is that we have modern medicine and we can expect a vaccine soon. Sadly, because we have modern transportation, the spread and impact has gone global much more quickly than it did for smallpox.
What does this mean/imply?

First, it means that every person can transmit the disease to between five and seven people, even if they themselves have no symptoms. Airborne transmission means that the virus can hang there in the air for awhile.

Second, in looking at how disease spreads, this might act a lot like the smallpox. Now, it's been ages (well, hundreds of years) since we had one of those. The closest one that we might look at is the one that happened during the Revolutionary War.

If we look at it through an alternate lens (scholars do this all the time) we can see some additional similarities. For example (from that Wikipedia) "This epidemic occurred during the years of the American Revolutionary War. During this time, there was no medical technology widely available to protect soldiers from outbreaks in crowded and unhygienic troop camps."

COVID-19 has hit us, there's no medical technology widely available to protect us (no vaccine, etc) particularly in "crowded and unhygenic" areas (think about the poorer areas of your city or your state or the nation (Native American reservations, for example.)

Note this, also : "1778–1779, New Orleans was especially hard hit due to its densely populated urban area. "
And that's precisely what we're seeing. All the densely populated urban areas are getting slammed by this on a global scale.

Another quote:

Though there was not too much known about viruses and their transitions, English colonists in North America recognized the effectiveness of isolating individuals infected with smallpox. The English colonies were more aware of the features of smallpox than of almost any other infectious disease. It was widely recognized that there were only two options for protecting oneself against this disease, quarantine or inoculation against the disease. Many feared inoculation, and instead chose isolation via quarantine. Individuals with recognized infections were sent to remote locations where they could let the disease run its course without the fear of infecting others. If needed, the scale of the quarantine could be increased. This meant cutting off entire towns from the rest of the colonies for the duration of the disease.

Members of the English colonies as well as English officials were proactive in establishing quarantine guidelines in order to protect the public.

Here's where we diverge. Quarantine was a well-known and well-established method of dealing with illness back then. You've seen the outcries of "what about the economy" and "our liberty" expressed here on ATS. Back then, nobody flinched at the idea of whole towns being quarantined (as was done in Italy if you remember) with some fairly extreme measures.

So... that particular plague (limited vaccinations, public fear of vaccinations, limited effective technology) took about 2 years to clear up. I would not be surprised if the global impact lasted for at least 2 years.

So... do you see some of the similarities? Social distancing and quarantine worked for George Washington and John Adams and the rest of our founding fathers, but I'm not sure that Americans of nowadays would stand for that sort of policy.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: misfit312
a reply to: Byrd

Smithfield Foods is 100% Chinese owned according to wiki. Also the largest pork producer. Another place China needs to be stopped. Owning our food supply companies, right here in the USA.

Erm... they buy American pigs, raised in America. And the virus wasn't found in the meat, it was found in workers. You don't get the virus from American hog farms.

And if you don't want big corporations buying out American hog farms and making these hog farms part of the corporation, for Pete's sake don't vote for people who support Big Business.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: deltaalphanovember

Did they give a reason for the extension? I know I'm getting itchy feet even though I'm working at home. I hope you adjust okay.

No reason except an abundance of caution. think it's the right thing to do to avoid a situation like France, Spain, Italy, UK and USA. Economically, we are in deep deep trouble.

But it's tough to handle when we have so few cases. The natural human reaction is "we avoided the worse of it" and I think we are going to start seeing civil disobedience of the lock down laws.

Economically we are in deep trouble! .000006% percent of my home state of MN has died from Corona in the last month!!!!

50/5,500,0000.....

Lolz🤪

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Which means that the numbers we see really are the tip of the iceberg and that (like Cuomo admitted earlier) there's a lot of illness and death that's not being counted that are caused by COVID-19.

Also, it means the R0 is on the same order as polio. A worrying statistic to me.

A better analogy might be smallpox, which also has an R0 of 5-7 and is transmitted by airborne droplets. (link to slide with some common R0's for diseases)

And now that I look at it, even the mortality figures appear to be similar Thankfully the huge difference is that we have modern medicine and we can expect a vaccine soon. Sadly, because we have modern transportation, the spread and impact has gone global much more quickly than it did for smallpox.

First, it means that every person can transmit the disease to between five and seven people, even if they themselves have no symptoms.

Not exactly. People can transmit the disease to a lot more than 5 to 7 people... it's not like a revolver when it's shot 6 people it has no more live rounds. An R0 of 5-7 means that, on average, each person transmits the disease to 5-7 people in absence of isolating those who are carriers from the healthy population.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: misfit312
a reply to: Byrd

Smithfield Foods is 100% Chinese owned according to wiki. Also the largest pork producer. Another place China needs to be stopped. Owning our food supply companies, right here in the USA.

Erm... they buy American pigs, raised in America. And the virus wasn't found in the meat, it was found in workers. You don't get the virus from American hog farms.

And if you don't want big corporations buying out American hog farms and making these hog farms part of the corporation, for Pete's sake don't vote for people who support Big Business.

Or do vote for politicians who support tariffs and restrictions on foreign corporate ownership inside the USA (AKA: do, absolutely vote for national protectionist candidates)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Scepticaldem

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

First, it means that every person can transmit the disease to between five and seven people, even if they themselves have no symptoms.

Not exactly. People can transmit the disease to a lot more than 5 to 7 people... it's not like a revolver when it's shot 6 people it has no more live rounds. An R0 of 5-7 means that, on average, each person transmits the disease to 5-7 people in absence of isolating those who are carriers from the healthy population.

Thanks. Your more accurate description expresses the idea perfectly.

top topics

<< 370  371  372    374  375  376 >>

join