It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 5

page: 340
<< 337  338  339    341  342  343 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: cirrus12
It's good to see Londoners taking the lockdown seriously...
www.newsflare.com...

If coronavirus is not killing as many people as the flu, why treat it like it's worse than the flu?

So-called experts keep saying that they do not know enough about covid-19, so accept that there is now one more threat to human life in our environment, and go on about living your life as normal.

For most people, Common Sense will win out over the worst case scenario Doom Cryer's who permeate the airwaves.

How many people died from the flu in New York today ??

How many people died from Coronavirus in New York today??

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   
theconservativetreehouse.com...

I’m not talking a little disconnect; there is a profound and entirely opposite set of reports from nurses, doctors and healthcare workers –in multiple states– who are being laid-off, sent home, told not to come in; and doctors worried of losing their practices because hospitals, and their offices are completely empty.

Same at LAC+USC Med Center–>part of the same LA County hospital system as UCLA. My nurse friends there say nothing is going on!! County laying off staff!!! WTF is going on???? LA is not New York. We aren't seeing this surge at all. NY data is sketchy —t.co...

— Rebecca Diserio (@rebeccadiserio) April 4, 2020

From a DM: "I am a nurse in a hospital, and I am FURIOUS at what is happening in our country. What is being reported is NOT what’s happening. Our large hospital is so underwhelmed with patients, we are being put on call instead of working our scheduled shifts." #coronavirus

— Robert Barnes (@Barnes_Law) April 4, 2020

Space Coast empty – can confirm!

Brevard County FL 700,000 pop, 60 cases, 7 hospitalizations, 0 deaths. Nurses being sent home 'on call'

— Belle (@Oily_Princess) April 4, 2020

It makes you wonder what is really going on and why

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Numbers Update for tonight, including USA States :

USA States :

www.worldometers.info...
bnonews.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
theconservativetreehouse.com...

I’m not talking a little disconnect; there is a profound and entirely opposite set of reports from nurses, doctors and healthcare workers –in multiple states– who are being laid-off, sent home, told not to come in; and doctors worried of losing their practices because hospitals, and their offices are completely empty.

Same at LAC+USC Med Center–>part of the same LA County hospital system as UCLA. My nurse friends there say nothing is going on!! County laying off staff!!! WTF is going on???? LA is not New York. We aren't seeing this surge at all. NY data is sketchy —t.co...

— Rebecca Diserio (@rebeccadiserio) April 4, 2020

From a DM: "I am a nurse in a hospital, and I am FURIOUS at what is happening in our country. What is being reported is NOT what’s happening. Our large hospital is so underwhelmed with patients, we are being put on call instead of working our scheduled shifts." #coronavirus

— Robert Barnes (@Barnes_Law) April 4, 2020

Space Coast empty – can confirm!

Brevard County FL 700,000 pop, 60 cases, 7 hospitalizations, 0 deaths. Nurses being sent home 'on call'

— Belle (@Oily_Princess) April 4, 2020

It makes you wonder what is really going on and why

Just makes me wonder what respectable sources they are getting their info from....

edit :Or, it could be that some Hospitals are just Not equipped at all to deal with this type of case, and the Main Staff are being repurposed elsewhere.
Not evey hopsital has ventilators, or the negative presuure rooms needed for this.
Those that do, are in need of staff for continuous operation, and need staff to keep going 24/7, to keep saving lives.
edit on 4-4-2020 by MonkeyBalls2 because: added edit

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Thanks for reminding me about the term "retrovirus" which I had to look into. Seems Covid-19 is not a retrovirus.

As to your question, "what then?", for me, keeping my immune system strong is my first defense. Lots of physical activity outdoors, fresh air, sunlight on the skin, home-grown fruit and vegetables.... that's my best shot but there are no guarantees of course.

I think the sedentary urban life breathing polluted air and eating processed foods makes people vulnerable.

Anecdote: talking to an acquaintance in China a few years ago he described a Chinese colleague who smoked heavily, drank too much etc. This Chinese guy had a theory that people there got so much exposure to pollution and unhealthy conditions that they were now toughened and could survive anything.

I wonder if he's still alive.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well, I can speak to the milk issue, here in MI. It's being dumped here as well. The price farmers are getting for it is tanking hard, which means here shortly, the price at the store will be going up again.

Unfortunately, I can also speak to the death rate in MI going up, as hubby lost an uncle to the virus last night. He had been in the hospital for it.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: ShortBus

Won't the virus just start spreading again?

Most models show a spike toward the end of the year, yes. But not as long lived a spike. The assumption is that natural immunity will become more of a factor. This first go, no one has immunity. Next time, a good percentage of the population will.

Oh okay. Didn't think about that.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShortBus
Toilet paper is starting to show up in local grocery stores here in Kansas City area and not just for an hour in the morning. Even brands like Charmin are available. Eggs were also pretty thin for awhile, but are back and milk we never had an issue with.

My question to everyone...

I know the lockdown will help the virus not spread as bad and it also gives time for them to find a possibly solution (meds) that will help fight this virus, but at some point, they will have to lift the shutdown.

Won't the virus just start spreading again? Then at some point have to lock down again? Or will they give up trying to slow it down and just say... lets get it over with so we can go on with life, of those who are left.

Which part off 3 wave you do not understand First, Second, or Third

Time to wake up

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The state of Hawaii is producing a very interesting chart. I'm not sure what to make of it. Probably mostly "noise" because the numbers are relatively low.

Other statistics are available here:
health.hawaii.gov...

edit on 4/4/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Update from the US Embassy in Tokyo

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Tokyo (April 3, 2020)

Date: April 3, 2020

Japan is experiencing a significant increase in COVID-19 cases. Over the past 72 hours, more than 650 individuals across the country have tested positive, an increase of approximately 200 cases per day. On April 2, Japan saw the largest increase in cases since the outbreak of the virus. A growing number of medical and political leaders across the country are expressing concern that a surge in cases is imminent. The U.S. Embassy Chargé d’Affaires Joe Young issued a video message April 2 to U.S. citizens in Japan in light of the global spread of COVID-19.

If U.S. citizens wish to return to the United States, they should make arrangements to do so now. U.S. citizens who live in the United States but are currently in Japan should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.

Capacity of Japan’s Health Care System

As compared to the number of positive cases and hospitalizations in the United States and Europe, the number of reported COVID-19 cases in Japan remains relatively low. The Japanese Government’s decision to not test broadly makes it difficult to accurately assess the COVID-19 prevalence rate. Our diplomatic mission is in touch with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta and continues to carefully monitor the capacity of Japan’s health care system in Tokyo as well as other locations including Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Sapporo, and Naha. While we have confidence in Japan’s health care system today, we believe a significant increase in COVID-19 cases makes it difficult to predict how the system will be functioning in the coming weeks. In the event of a spike in cases, U.S. citizens with pre-existing medical conditions may not be able to receive the medical care they have grown accustomed to in Japan prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Border Control Measures

Japan is barring admission to travelers who have recently visited any country that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has designated “Level 3” for infectious disease concerns, which includes the United States. Travelers from the United States are not permitted to enter Japan and should not board flights. For details and exemptions, please refer to:

· The Japan National Tourism Organization’s website.

· An April 3, 2020 Ministry of Justice document that describes “special exceptional circumstances” and specific rules that apply to foreign nationals who are permanent residents of Japan or immediate family members of Japanese citizens.

· Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs website on strengthened border control and visa restrictions put in place due to COVID-19.

Decrease in International Flights

As of April 3, only 11 percent of the pre-COVID-19 flight capacity from Japan to the United States remains in operation. While we cannot predict what will happen next, it is safe to assume that Japan’s entry restrictions will further reduce flight availability in the near- and medium-term. One of the sobering realities of the current crisis is that a decrease in flights to the United States may mean getting back to the U.S. for a family emergency in a timely manner could become more difficult or even impossible.

U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while limited commercial flights are still available. Due to a reduction in customer demand, commercial aviation networks between the United States and Japan continue to diminish. Travelers currently in Japan seeking return fights to the United States should immediately consult with their air carrier(s) regarding possible flight rescheduling and/or cancellations.

At this time, Japanese authorities advise that passengers transiting Tokyo’s Narita or Haneda airports without clearing immigration will still be allowed to proceed to their onward destinations in other countries. Passengers will not be permitted to transit between airports or transfer from an international flight to a domestic flight.

The Japan National Tourism Organization maintains up-to-date information on screening and quarantine measures for travelers. It also operates a 24/7 visitor hotline, available in English. To call from Japan: 050-3816-2787; from overseas: +81-50-3816-2787.

The Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare also has a 24/7 hotline at +81-3-3595-2176 with English-speaking operators, and has a Q&A on the new measures.

Residents of Tokyo should check the Tokyo Metropolitan Government website for information in English on COVID-19.

All U.S. Mission Japan facilities remain open and staffed, and U.S. Mission Japan personnel are following United States and Japanese government recommendations regarding social distancing and minimizing non-essential travel.

Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel: The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.

CDC Travel Notice for Japan: On March 21, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a Level 3 Warning (Avoid Nonessential Travel) for COVID-19 in Japan. 

Actions to Take:

Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Japan.
Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
Visit the Department of State’s Japan Country Information.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This will be about Thailand but there are other countries in the same boat. They are reporting 2067 with 20 people who have died as of April 3. That is in a country of close to 70 million people.. OK not to bad if the numbers can be trusted.. Here is the interesting part of all this.. The government was not very excited on stopping international flights into Thailand from China even back as far as December and January. There were almost 5 million Chinese who came to Thailand during that time frame.

The government has now started a curfew from 8PM until 4AM and is saying they may need to do a 24 hour curfew; they have also stopped all international arrivals..

Here is the interesting part to me.. You can be arrested for saying just about any disparaging remark about the government. They can claim anything is fake news if you piss off the Hiso (High society) patrons. Many on Facebook and the local social media have come right out and said all of this is the government's fault for not stopping arrivals from infected countries when they could have; not the people's fault that they (Hiso) put money before the people's well being. Trust me those are strong words around here.

So there are rumors (always rumors about something no matter where you are) that many of the people have had enough of this government... The difference is the people will actually get out and shut government down and protest.

I would not be surprised if many countries are in the same situation as the population is not working and has no means of providing for themselves and their families.. When people lose everything and feel they have nothing else to lose "watch out" IMO.

As in many countries there are super rich who can hire protestors to start a ruckus and cause mayhem. Great opportunity for all kinds of things to go down IMO.

Sweden:

What happens if they pull this off? What happens if it turns out that we could have coped with COVID-19 without collapsing entire sectors of the economy putting millions on the dole, and imposing some of the most draconian restrictions on civil liberties in living memory?

Sweden has not closed the bars. Shopping malls are open. Schools and companies are open too. There are some restrictions such as on gatherings of over 500 people. But, in comparison with most European countries, life in Sweden is relatively normal.

Right now, Sweden's death rate from coronavirus is 33 per million of the population. In France it is 83. In Italy it is 230. In Britain it is 43. In the Netherlands it is 78.

In the United States the number of deaths per million of the population is 18, but many argue that the outbreak in America took off later, and European levels of fatality from the virus are on their way. We shall see.

In some countries, COVID-19 is being listed as the cause of death merely if it appears somewhere on the death certificate. In other words, you may have been days away from dying from terminal lung cancer, but if you had contracted COVID-19 in the meantime, your death will be listed in the overall COVID-19 fatality numbers. In other countries, it has to have been the single most obvious cause of death to make it into the same statistics.

www.thecommentator.com... gMM1GyCTEE0mO4RN3kg-C-Gbfd0#.XohGhS58d2U.facebook

SE Asia leaders face Covid-19 legitimacy crises

As the Covid-19 pandemic spreads worldwide, authoritarian-leaning governments in Southeast Asia are leveraging viral fear and loathing to strengthen their holds on power and curb rights and liberties.

Across virus-hit Southeast Asia, repressive emergency laws on free speech and civil liberties are being wielded against social media users who either spread alleged disinformation or otherwise are merely critical of their government’s responses.

“Like China, the only real accountability mechanism for autocratic governments in Southeast Asia is sustaining economic growth,” said Brian Eyler, director of the Southeast Asia program at the Stimson Center, a US-based think tank.

“Leaders from Vietnam to Cambodia to Thailand to Laos will lose their positions of power if economic growth cannot be maintained,” Eyler predicted.

S&P Global Ratings, an international ratings agency, reckons Singapore and Thailand “will enter or flirt with recession” due to the impact of border closures and supply chain disruptions on their export-geared economies.

Thailand’s central bank predicted the economy could dive as much as -5.3% this year due to forced business closures.

asiatimes.com...

I would say it is not just Asia that depends on economic growth to keep TPTB safe behind their walled homes.

edit on 727thk20 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

This is why I've been calling it " the soft tone " approach to the real problem. There's a word for it that people in psychology use.
Anyway, regarding Thailand, which I love the people there and thai kick boxing , which I enjoyed doing while stationed there, I do believe you are spot on about how wicked the leadership is there, and yet, the Thai people with their beautiful smiles just doesn't make sense .
OK, this is a reply, Japan is using the soft tone approach to a complete lock down. Seems to be working at the moment, but the cases of infections, well, you might as well believe what is coming out of china. We simply do not have lines of people being tested at the moment, why, well we just don't have the beds here. Last I heard there were only less then 200 beds available throughout Tokyo. Our hospital here had the common sense to vacate all un-necessary patients, which left the hospital with soon to be needed beds. I have a feeling many hospitals in Tokyo are privately owned (profit and greed come into place)

We have 2 major problems here.

1. Over 25 million people would want to leave Tokyo and its surrounding areas
2. We also have a large ( 2.4 million ) foreign population. What does this actually mean... Well, they have different moral when " extreme times means extreme measures" and if you don't think they won't cause havoc .... One thing is, break the law, get deported, but no airlines are really now flying and they know that and the jail system is not really what you think it is. So we have no other choice but to down play the "true " silent panic " that will happen as people start to die in their homes. And then you have suicide and then worst of all the mentally ill that have ill intent to spread the virus, which has already happened. News now for the sake of society finally is stopping to share that news.

I would not want to live in any major city 7 days from now in here in Japan.

Also, if they let school start this Monday or Wednesday, Japan is "stupid is stupid".

edit on 0400000019472020-04-04T20:47:19-05:00471904pm8 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Recently, U.S. President Donald Trump ordered Minnesota-based manufacturing firm 3M not to send N95 masks to Canada and countries in Latin America.
Now off the Trump Train
Just hoping Q turn out to be true

What the use of having allies if they gonna drop you like a hot potato

He may have to rethink this one over

N95 masks are made of three layers. Two of the layers are man made . The third layer facing the mouth is made from pulp - thermal bond non woven fabric. Harmac is the only producer I know of that produces that particular pulp on the west coast and the biggest supplier to 3M

Trade war work both ways if push come to a dead line

www.timescolonist.com...

They also supply some to china

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I would be interested to know what you think is so "wicked" about the leadership in Thailand.

??????

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The state of Hawaii is producing a very interesting chart. I'm not sure what to make of it. Probably mostly "noise" because the numbers are relatively low.

Other statistics are available here:
health.hawaii.gov...

The chart says "missing or pending data" so I suspect that the more recent numbers are not as correct as the older ones. They are waiting on lab results (if you remember, it can take up to 4 days to process a test.)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I've been living in Thailand continuously for 12 years now. Rather than talking about rumors, I think it's best to stick to personal experience.

From what I've seen, the current government is anti-corruption, pro Thai sovereignty. and staunchly defends the traditional Monarchy.

The opposition is all for corruption and selling off Thai interests to trans-national corporations. They seem to be against the existence of the Monarchy.

I have witnessed in my own home, opposition political campaigners pressing money on my wife to buy her vote. She didn't accept the bribe.

In past years, we often experienced police roadblocks on the highways, police demanding cash before letting us carry on. That ended abruptly when the military took over.

I drove my wife to the polling station to cast her vote in favor of the new constitution and later to vote in the current government. This is democracy in action as I see it and I know of no grounds for denigrating it.

That said, ordinary Thai people do need education in just how democracy is meant to work.

As for the Covid-19 numbers, I suspect over-reporting if anything. If large numbers were dying and hospital capacity strained we would hear about it on social media. It really is surprisingly quiet so far.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tamsuan
a reply to: musicismagic

I would be interested to know what you think is so "wicked" about the leadership in Thailand.

??????

Not directed at me but as you and I are but guest in LOS for me I have no right or opinion (certainly not to post on an international forum) about the government as long as they leave me and mine alone. I have never had a problem with anything in country and thanks to my lucky stars we are safe and secure with plenty of food . My only heart burn is the golf courses are shut down .... not to mention I am truly concerned about the people who barely made ends meet as day laborers . I have been giving money to some of my caddies I have had for many years ...They never asked for it but...I know their circumstances so I give. Yesterday one called and ask me to come to meet them. They had over 100 golf balls for me that had been collected on the golf course. I took about 20 premium balls and gave the person 500 Baht which by the way they acted you would have thought I had bought them a new house !

I actually know some Hiso and of course they are afraid just as everyone else is concerned about an uncertain future. The uncertain future should concern everyone everyplace.

musicismagic My posting was about Thai social media and what some Thai's are saying regardless of the danger of speaking out. If outsiders read world MSN it would be easy to walk away with thinking "wicked or Evil" yet the reality is seldom as MSN portrays in any country. Compared to Cambodia's Pol Pot's Chinese sponsored mafia thugs Thailand's leadership walks on water and preforms miracles IMO.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   
So yesterday we were here:

Then this happened:

TEXAS CITY, Texas (KTRK) -- A day after 13 people either living or working at a Texas City assisted living facility tested positive for COVID-19, Galveston County health officials added 70 more cases from the same center.

The 83 total cases at The Resort at Texas City were announced Friday after 146 people, both residents and employees, were tested the day before. That count could increase with some results still pending.

Galveston Co. counts 83 COVID-19 cases at Texas City assisted living home

And now we have this:

With regard to the nursing home in question:

The Resort at Texas City - ProPublica

I used to live a few blocks from where this place is. My kids still have friends that live in those neighborhoods.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Tamsuan

It not that some are wrong doing their people, but I guess there are 2 types of Thai, one I know personally. Great people, but the other type of Thai (perhaps those with wrong intentions ) is more likely to be the ones I may have called out.
I even stated before I would have loved to retire in Thailand .

1. I guess this would be an example, rare, but ... Ratchaburi MP Pareena Kraikup of the Phalang Pracharath Party cannot verify legal ownership a substantial amount of land in her province, she appears to be far from alone among elected politicians.

2. This makes sense, but I wonder what type of punishment awaits them...“The escapees might face charges for violating the Emergency Decree on Public Administration BE 2548 and Communicable Disease Act BE 2558”. This involved returnees from overseas that left the quarantine areas. I believe they should be punished severely , but how severe...
What do you think will happen to them once caught?

3. This didn't seem to go to well: www.nationthailand.com...

In all due respect, wicked was wrong for me to use. Pelosi is wicked though.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I agree with everything you say here. My sympathies about the golf course closures. Our mango orchard and garden are still available for us so nothing much has changed in our life.

Yes, the future is very uncertain for pretty much the whole world. Looks to me like the economic impact is going to be very destabilizing. If families, businesses and even nations become essentially bankrupt all at the same time it can only result in complete chaos.

<< 337  338  339    341  342  343 >>

join