It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 4

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Last Update2020/3/1
12:30
Confirmed
Deaths
3.4%
Recovered
48.8%

All that matters death rate up.1% recovery rate up 2.2% at some point we won't even know if people are sick with the regular flu or COVID19. Swine flu as a baseline seems appropriate worst-case scenario, however, CDC has made huge strides since then as well. Keep in mind the Swine Flu mutated at least once. Figures below are right in line with Trump's quote of 20% may need hospitalization. FWIW

Swine Flu
US Total cases
Hospitalizations
Deaths

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gin

originally posted by: Power_Semi
Those people just doing what they always do will be the cause of it spreading everywhere.

This is sadly so true. In Norway a doctor has infected his colleagues and possibly patients too with corona. He brought it back home from Italy. Stupidest part is the Norwegian officials didn't ask him to be tested first as precaution before allowing him to get back to work.

Two more test positive for Coronavirus at Oslo eye clinic

And today in Finland it was revealed that a young child infected with corona may have infected her whole school (100+ people) and a football team she practiced with last Wednesday. She got the virus from a relative who also caught it while in Italy.

Carelessness like this allows the virus to spread everywhere.

My sons friend came back from holiday in a town in Italy where there is a confirmed case.

Came straight back to school, his parents straight back to work.

His mother works for the NHS - she's a radiographer.

Stupid.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01
a reply to: Drachenfel

And, yes - is all very well stocking up for yourself, but that won't go far if loved ones aren't also prepared, and you would be obliged to share what you have put by. 

I am sorry but I live on the states and I can say that the wife and I discussed this already. We have told and told our family members to stock up a little. They only laugh and scoff at us. I can tell you with a certainty that of my family shows up at my door looking for handouts, it will get bad.

I hope it does not come to that, but if they all think I am crazy and they do not do the simple things to secure a little bit of supplies, then they are on their own.

It's not pride, it is common sense, and if you do not have the common sense to plan ahead and take care of your family, then I do not want you around my family in the time of desperation.

We talked of maybe, possibly, depending on the severity of the situation on taking in the young kids, but that will have to be evaluated when the time comes.

It is not my obligation to take care of multiple family members because they were too ignorant to do the simple things to ensure a little bit of family security.

This might seem harsh. But it is to be expected for being mocked and laughed at. Get your own damned rice.

Now, with that said. If they showed up at my door with supplies and provisions and really wanted to help out around the small acreage and to escape the city. That is another story.

Hopefully it never comes to that.

I am so glad you posted this. My daughter, grown and married now, won't even let me talk about it. Been trying to get extra for them too just in case, but today I called her and simply asked if she still used miralax, and she blew up. She said quit talking about it! Don't get me anything... nothing is going to happen. I am going to live my life and if I starve I starve. But nothing is going to happen, all the medical people here in town are laughing it off as well on facebook, so just wash your hands, the flu kills more people.

Welp, I have lost some sleep this month worried about her but you know what, maybe i need to just give it up and let them do what they do. It just sounds so cruel as a mom, so I don't know. I have tried to be concerned for her but I guess in the end I am the bad guy for even trying to tell her about it. I did get a bit irritated and blurted out, "well I don't appreciate being yelled at for my concern...and I think SH** is fixing to hit the fan so get prepared. I don't think everyone will die and the sky is not falling but I do think we may be asked to shelter in place for a bit, please be prepared."

she just laughed and wanted to hang up. She didn't invite me over today either like we had talked about yesterday.

But thank you for sharing, it helped me to not feel so bad.
edit on 1-3-2020 by TruthJava because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: saladfingers123456

I’ve noticed the same, we’re in a small town and it’s business as usual. In Sheffield yesterday it was really busy, the roads were a nightmare and loads of people in the supermarket but no stocking that I could see... so just myself stocking up. Ibuprofen seems to be difficult to find unless you want to buy the expensive branded ones, so those and hand gel were the only things in low or no stock.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I believe a thread on health and nutrition should be applicable, pragmatic reading.

Our bodies are powerful machines, especially when optimized
The best line of defence against this virus is within all of us.

maintaining good diet and exercise either to avoid being sick or treating illness
will boost our immune systems.

I think the thread has evolved into general acceptance that 60% will catch this before a vaccine is made available.

That short of removing one's self from society , exposure will take place no matter how thorough the hygiene.

I am convinced most people would rather roll the dice to continue normalcy than take any (responsible) measures
I doubt it has crossed most that becoming infected,though asymptomatic or mild it could be,could vector to other less resistant person's
selfish thinking.

edit on 1-3-2020 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
I'm getting rapidly cheesed off with my fellow idiots in my part of the UK..
I happened to comment that "It can't hurt to be prepared just in case the virus spreads and the government decide to lock things down.Make sure you have enough food for a couple of weeks at least."
I said that to someone in a shop today and some busy body fool who overheard me got super triggered and accused me of spreading panic.
So I told them what they call panic I call common sense,and they would know if I was actually panicing because I would be running round screeching at the sky,which I never do.
How can common sense and simply being prepared hurt anyone I asked..
No response,just angry evil look and spluttering.
Oh well.

Hang in there and do what you do. I have been yelled at, argued with, and laughed at. And that is if I even mention it. *sigh Hope they are right, I want to be wrong!

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Tracele

Weird thing happened with me this morning when I went shopping. The isle that had the hand sanitizer, there wasn't a bottle to be found, the laundry detergent isle there was no bleach to be found, of course there wasn't any masks to be found, goggles none, rubber gloves? Very few. Bottled water isle was mostly cleared. This is central NY no corona virus around.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

YIKES: Re Italy

Our memories aren't so good are they?

Just to recap - first 2 cases were in Rome on 31st Jan, 2 Chinese tourists.

Then it kicked off on 16th Feb with the case in Lombardy.

20th Feb : 3 cases
21st Feb: 20
22nd: 79
23rd: 152
24th: 229
25th: 322
26th: 400
27th: 650
28th: 888
29th: 1128
1st March: 1694

It is indeed doubling every 2 days.

That is terrifying.

And how many deaths in Italy?

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Is that right?

That means that in Italy and the UK we've seen an increase in confirmed cases of 50% in one day.

That means the doubling time (time for cases to double) is under 2 days and the numbers are going to go through the roof rapidly.

I think Italy was pretty well predicted. IIRC their death toll ratio was far higher than what their confirmed cases should have predicted. Increased testing was bound to show much higher case numbers than what had already been reported to bring that death ratio back to something resembling normal.

Yeah, just checked again. Compared to S. Korea, Italy had almost double the number of deaths with only about 1/3rd the number of reported cases so the case numbers in Italy looked to be really under-reported/undiagnosed.

S. Korea
Cases: 3150
Deaths: 17

Italy
Cases: 1128
Deaths: 29
edit on 3/1/20 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Unconfirmed video of a student in Tehran, Iran, reportedly suffering from possible Coronavirus. Heartbreaking if true. And he was obviously coming from or going to school. Seeking confirmation.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oppenheimer67
Do we have any Russian readers or contributors, ideally in, or with links to someone in Russia?

I'm worried about what the situation is in Russia. They are being very quiet.

With China down, Iran down, Italy down. Italy have a good relationship with Russia. They have always been good trading partners, and Russia has honoured this relationship no matter what government was in charge in Italy, much to the despise of the US, and causing tension in the EU. Especially with oil pipe-line ambitions.

All quiet on the Russian front. I'm not there, but have numerous contacts. People think Coronavirus has been greatly exaggerated by the US goverment to tarnish China. They are only pissed off in the sense that the virus might ruin their Thai vacations plan. There's been rumors about people getting it, but nothing official. Keep in mind healthcare in Russia is only good in St Petersburg and Moscow, outside of those cities you literally are on your own.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthJava

all the medical people here in town are laughing it off as well on facebook, so just wash your hands, the flu kills more people.

I would have to call bs on that...........

Every medical professional I know is concerned about this, every single one.........so either she isnt telling the truth, or the medical "professionals" she knows are supremely stupid

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drachenfel
a reply to: FinallyAwake

I have just done a shop and put it all in the boot of my car, eases my anxiety about it all to some extent, best keep it quite from the housemates.
Got some meds and manuka honey, and tinned stuff with good dates.

But there is no substitute for clubbing together and knowing you've all got each others backs.

Btw, I am in Somerset, just south of the latest UK case in Gloucestershire, and in the supermarket everything seems normal, all shelves are well stocked.

Many thanks 👍🏻
I'm in Dorset, hand gels and powdered milk sold out in my local tesco and lidl, but there was plenty over Coffeemate, I don't think many people realise this is a tastier alternative to generic powdered milk

Thanks again for the info
Stay Clean! 🤞🏻

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
To those on this thread. We are steeped in this topic. Even my other half, who is totally with me on what I see complained that the only thing I talked about was this topic... and she is right. Reactions to those engulfed in following it are probably justified, so do try to contain yourself

If you are with someone, and they don't want to know, just do a little prep and don't mention why. They'll bring it up when they are ready.

You have to consider, that those that are here talking about this are in a micro percentage, like .0000001% of people of the world that are paying attention. You/we/I are the oddballs. It's possible that our fears are greater than are required due to being engulfed in information. If we were in a locked down Chinese city, then we'd seem incredibly rational. Outside of that situation, it seems like paranoia.

Unless you are in the situation, then it seems almost hard to believe. Everything is fake news now. Some don't even watch anything other than escapist media. So, just recognise that you are in an extreme minority. It isn't a bad thing, but compared to most, you are so far ahead of the general understanding out there.
I mean, how many places (certainly in the west) on the internet is this topic being discussed at length? On youtube comment sections? Facebook? Twitter? No... non of them in any great number. In fact, most of them suppress it. This is like a tiny island of people. By the amount of people who watched my silly video 20 pages back, we number around 100 active viewers and even less participants.
Anyway, that is all I wanted to say really. It is just easy to forget how few we are here in a world of 7,500,000,000.
edit on 1-3-2020 by saladfingers123456 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rich Z

originally posted by: tgidkp
reply to: RichZ

So what happens on the third strike? Things get even worse, or no change from the second strike?

i don't think that what is being referred to as the "waves" running through the population (as often referenced to the Spanish Flu of 1918, is the same thing as the reinfection occurring in patients that develop severe secondary symptoms such as heart failure, liver/kidney failure, etc.

so in other words, a second wave will not only contain a new, mutated strain of the virus, but also include a whole new round of severe secondary symptoms and deaths.

hope this helps.

danny.

But if this virus is able to mutate within the body in order to sidestep the immune system, is there really going to be any practical difference between internal waves of new symptoms and waves of new external infections?

what i have written about is not a "mutation within the body". reinfection refers to a genomically identical virus' ability to to use the body's antibodies against itself in order to destroy the immune response to that infection.... thus causing deeper damage than the initial infection.

so, each mutated "wave" of the virus through the population will include its own series of reinfections.

please read my posts in thread 3 for more information.

danny.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

I have just done a shop and put it all in the boot of my car, eases my anxiety about it all to some extent, best keep it quite from the housemates.

But there is no substitute for clubbing together and knowing you've all got each others backs.

Btw, I am in Somerset, just south of the latest UK case in Gloucestershire, and in the supermarket everything seems normal, all shelves are well stocked.

I'm in the UK - my parents have just gone shopping to stock up with more stuff just in case (finally, I've been telling them for weeks).

They said in B&M most of the food shelves were empty, and the Morrisions was absolutely mental - chock full of people buying food.

This is in West Yorks.

I'm sure it isn't normally very busy on a Sunday.

I just hope people really really remember to get dry goods, and anything powdered and shelf stable that they can, along with their canned goods..............

My family in Texas are FINALLY listening and stocking up (those that dont already have it, most are prepers)

By the time you realize youre gonna need it, its too late!

They're doing what I did - lots of rice, pasta, and tinned goods.

Nothing perishable.

PS my fellow Brits. I don't know how much it costs elsewhere, but Aldi do a 4 pack of tinned tuna for 79p - I've bought loads of those, think we'll quickly get fed up of baked beans.

I did the same, and lots of powdered milk, powdered cheese, and powdered spuds......with the pastas, things you can just add some water to and make something simple and hearty........oh and tons of beans and rice......

I actually bought a very small tub of powdered milk the other day, am using it today.

Wanted to try it out, my mum used to get it when I was a kid and it was awful, just used to go lumpy.

This stuff is really good, so am going to buy some bigger packs of it.

Not sure I've seen powdered eggs or cheese (?) in the shops, but then again never looked for them.

Might be a good idea though.

Food could become very scarce very quickly.

HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS!

THESE ARE NOT UPDATES and are making the thread impossible to read!

please start a prepping thread.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthJava

But thank you for sharing, it helped me to not feel so bad.

I feel that as a parent it is completely natural to want and feel the need to care for your children, no matter the age. It is motherly instinct and you are acting on it, properly I might add.

The problem is that the more you press, the more you push her away. This is why I am no longer talking to my family about the matter at all. I have tried to warn them, I even said to just keep and eye out. Them I told them of certain store shelves running dry of supplies in sporadic places here in the states.

The way I see it is, everyone has a choice to make. If they think thay have it under control, then good for them, even if you feel otherwise.

I feel that maybe your motherly instinct will prevail for you on the long run and you should probably at least stock up on dry foods that are the cheapest, like rice and beans for them. Because if the time comes, and we all hope it does not, they will come to your door. When this happens I feel that you might possibly cave in, and it is better to face it and prepare.

Just don't worry yourself about it. Do what you can do and let the cards fall where they may.

Hope all goes well for you and your family.

Edit to add: This is also my opinion on what I am extrapolating from your posts. I really have no idea of your mental and preparedness state. By the act of stocking up and your compassion for your child/children, I am only assuming what I have said. I wish you the best.
edit on 1-3-2020 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2020 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: tgidkp

I'm in the UK - my parents have just gone shopping to stock up with more stuff just in case (finally, I've been telling them for weeks).

They said in B&M most of the food shelves were empty, and the Morrisions was absolutely mental - chock full of people buying food.

This is in West Yorks.

I'm sure it isn't normally very busy on a Sunday.

I just hope people really really remember to get dry goods, and anything powdered and shelf stable that they can, along with their canned goods..............

My family in Texas are FINALLY listening and stocking up (those that dont already have it, most are prepers)

By the time you realize youre gonna need it, its too late!

They're doing what I did - lots of rice, pasta, and tinned goods.

Nothing perishable.

PS my fellow Brits. I don't know how much it costs elsewhere, but Aldi do a 4 pack of tinned tuna for 79p - I've bought loads of those, think we'll quickly get fed up of baked beans.

I did the same, and lots of powdered milk, powdered cheese, and powdered spuds......with the pastas, things you can just add some water to and make something simple and hearty........oh and tons of beans and rice......

I actually bought a very small tub of powdered milk the other day, am using it today.

Wanted to try it out, my mum used to get it when I was a kid and it was awful, just used to go lumpy.

This stuff is really good, so am going to buy some bigger packs of it.

Not sure I've seen powdered eggs or cheese (?) in the shops, but then again never looked for them.

Might be a good idea though.

Food could become very scarce very quickly.

HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS!

THESE ARE NOT UPDATES and are making the thread impossible to read!

please start a prepping thread.

Feel free to alert the mods if you dont like the page with suggestions on things to get at the store, which were in direct response to UPDATES about whats being raided off the shelves in areas being effected........

Screaming like a banshee at people following the flow of the thread and questions is far more off topic then what they posted
edit on 3/1/2020 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

Possibly more people stocking up just incase? It’s being talked about more and more here now. The areas that have had new cases added today are now posting updates and images of empty shelves, certainly not the case for our area... yet. The next week will be interesting to see how this develops, Boris Johnson is holding an emergency meeting tomorrow.

Just checked a couple of the online supermarkets I use... no hand gel of any kind left.

Just checked our online B&Q (hardware store) out of 18 products for masks only 3 are available.

edit on 1-3-2020 by Tracele because: More info.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   

NEW: Washington state reports 2 new cases of coronavirus in King County; both are in critical condition with underlying health issues

bno

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join