It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 4

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes sorry not trying to be a pest...& probably wasn't clear enough...
I guess now re thinking...we also know that other countries do not know or
are not capable of performing the test correctly. I do get that since I understand
lab test but I am slowly starting to remember things (sorry I'm slow ATM trying to recover the brain damage)...

Do we know if the other test sent out had or have a working reagent? So sorry
if I'm wasting your time...thank you!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: clay2 baraka

I am headed to Costco for a final supply run tomorrow, per my wife, she works for dr.’s One of them has a friend who works for a infectious disease office or something, she didn’t say what he told him, but it is her idea to buy dry food, hell she even made room, in one of our spare rooms to store it in. Also I took her out to dinner tonight, restaurant was relatively empty waitress said they were packed last Friday night. Also I ease dropped on conversation heard trump, market, and allot about the corona virus. I live in a retirement city in FLA.
edit on 28-2-2020 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Problems with a government-created coronavirus test have limited the United States’ capacity to rapidly increase testing, just as the outbreak has entered a worrisome new phase in countries worldwide. Experts are increasingly concerned that the small number of U.S. cases may be a reflection of limited testing, not of the virus’s spread.

While South Korea has run more than 35,000 coronavirus tests, the United States has tested only 426 people, not including people who returned on evacuation flights. Only about a dozen state and local laboratories can now run tests outside of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta because the CDC kits sent out nationwide earlier this month included a faulty component.

U.S. guidelines recommend testing for a very narrow group of people — those who display respiratory symptoms and have recently traveled to China or had close contact with an infected person.

AD
But many public health experts think that in light of evidence that the disease has taken root and spread in Iran, Italy, Singapore and South Korea, it’s time to broaden testing in the United States. Infectious disease experts fear that aside from the 14 cases picked up by public health surveillance, there may be other undetected cases mixed in with those of colds and flu. What scares experts the most is that the virus is beginning to spread in countries outside China, but no one knows whether that’s the case in the United States, because they aren’t checking.

“Coronavirus testing kits have not been widely distributed to our hospitals and public health labs. Those without these kits must send samples all the way to Atlanta, rather than testing them on site, wasting precious time as the virus spreads,” said Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.).

In a congressional hearing Tuesday, Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) pressed Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar on whether the CDC test was faulty. He denied that the test did not work.

AD
But in a news briefing that was going on about the same time, Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said that she was “frustrated” about problems with the test kits and that the CDC hoped to send out a new version to state and local health departments soon.

“I think we are close,” she said. She said that the agency is working as fast as possible on the tests, but that the priority is making sure they are accurate.

Currently, she said, a dozen state and local health departments can do the testing, although positive results need to be confirmed by the CDC. She also said she hoped that tests from commercial labs would soon come online.

Messonnier said the agency was weighing widening its testing protocols to include people traveling to the United States from countries beyond mainland China, considering the rapid spread of the virus in other places in recent days.

AD
The nation’s public health laboratories, exasperated by the malfunctioning tests in the face of a global public health emergency, have taken the unusual step of appealing to the Food and Drug Administration for permission to develop and use their own tests. In Hawaii, authorities are so alarmed about the lack of testing ability that they requested permission from the CDC to use tests from Japan. A medical director at a hospital laboratory in Boston is developing an in-house test, but is frustrated that his laboratory won’t be able to use it without going through an onerous and time-consuming review process, even if demand surges.

“This is an extraordinary request, but this is an extraordinary time,” said Scott Becker, the chief executive of the Association of Public Health Laboratories, which is asking the FDA for permission to allow the laboratories to create and implement their own laboratory-developed tests.

At one hospital in the Mid-Atlantic region, a patient who recently returned from Singapore, which has 90 cases, was admitted to the hospital with mild upper respiratory symptoms, according to a hospital official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect the patient’s privacy. The patient tested negative for flu. Because of underlying medical conditions, the person was at higher risk for severe illness if this was a coronavirus infection.

Even though clinicians suspected coronavirus, and treated the person for it and placed the patient in isolation, the patient was not tested.

“If this person had returned from mainland China, they would have been tested for coronavirus,” the official said. The patient recovered and was discharged to their home.

Testing also affects other aspects of care.

People with confirmed cases can enroll in clinical trials for therapeutics. For patients who need more intense care in a facility with a biocontainment unit, that facility can receive reimbursement from the federal government for care, the official said.

“We have over 700 flights every month between Hawaii and Japan or South Korea,” where the virus is spreading in the community, said Hawaii Lt. Gov. Josh Green (D), who is also an emergency physician. It’s unlikely that the CDC would allow state labs to accept a test from another nation, he said, but “this is an exceptional circumstance.”

“A lot of hospitals are trying to do something similar, which is get a test up and running on an instrument, get it validated in-house,” Mina said. “I think all of us are coming to the same realization that we can’t do anything as long as this remains under the control of CDC and state labs.”

www.washingtonpost.com...

Until the US has the capability to test people en mas, and starts allowing more labs to perform the test it's going to make it that much more difficult to accurately assess the situation.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

It was a pretty bold move by the trump administration to play down this virus scare and call it fearmongering, complacency is not a good way to move forward.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   
There are STILL suspected cases in Connecticut and other US states that are from January 27 or about then (a month or more ago) with no results reported yet. You would THINK now that it's in the public's consciousness they would want to calm fears but there are still no results for monitored, suspected cases from OVER a month ago in the United States

So what the hell!? Way more cases in the US than they want to admit, guaranteed

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I think so. To be honest. I don’t think we have the capability to test everyone, I think the game, is to let it spread get big, quarantine I dunno after that buy time for a vaccine. It’s to late for containment, we are all just here now watching it unfold.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: DanDanDat

Onion sandwiches?

I'd have to be pretty damn sick before I'd go to an urgent care or hospital during cold and flu season.

I LOVE ONION SANDWICHES!!! But with a slice of bologna! They really do help keep your sinuses clear and always seem to help when I think I may be coming down with a head cold. Another benefit is that they also keep your co workers from getting into your personal space. Which would also be good at keeping possible sick people away from you if you stink like a giant slice of onion.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This is a great example of how easily this virus can be spread into a community.

Coronavirus risk to Gold Coast beauty salon patrons

edit on 29-2-2020 by tlearyus because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-2-2020 by tlearyus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Canada has it’s 16th case...

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: hiddenNZ

It was a pretty bold move by the trump administration to play down this virus scare and call it fearmongering, complacency is not a good way to move forward.

Is this true? The first person to contract Corona-flu in the U.S. has recovered?

Source: twitter.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I don't have any more facts than anyone else, all we can do is try and read between the lines, er I mean lies.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   
A word of caution again. Actually I'm learning a lot that goes on TV daily news.

1. toothbrushes now should be keep in separating holding cases (kind of like the ones you buy for camping) Keep each child's separately and all family members too.

I know that doesn't sound like much, but if it goes on TV , its got to have a reason.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: tlearyus

Nanny state, at its finest..

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I understand. I have one whose universal symptom for everything is to cough, no matter what it is.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: misfit312
a reply to: musicismagic

Question for anyone...IF this was released on purpose could there be 4 strains loose.
Iran
Italy
Japan
China
All Released at strategic times and places meant to criss cross the globe at the same time?

Alone each strain is bad but not deadly however, after combining with the others in the body they set off a reaction?

I'm still wondering about the CDC test and the comment about 'ok to test for just coronavirus.'

Sorry if this is off base science was never really my thing.

IF it were to be something like this, then I think, they would be doing this so that no vaccine can be created, create more confusion AND most of all, make quarantines ineffective. Also, if this is really an attack, I'd go with the idea that it isn't being done by a government, but by a very powerful rogue group or a maybe even "beyond" deep state.
edit on 28/2/2020 by redpassion because: orthography fix

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tlearyus

Gold coast eh, that's getting a little too close for comfort....

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I understand. I have one whose universal symptom for everything is to cough, no matter what it is.

I saw a guy coughing at the gas station earlier today. Should I have called 911 and had him hauled away by rapid-response team?

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Yep sure is...But why are we still letting flights in from Iran, Italy etc when we know there are serious outbreaks in those countries? Or have we completely given up on containment now?

link   

originally posted by: NxNWest
Canada has it’s 16th case...

www.cbc.ca...

Lots of Winter flu up there. Hopefully they will recover quickly, even though it's not a cutting-edge healthcare system.

link   
a reply to: musicismagic

If you’re worried about toothbrush to toothbrush transition then you should be isolating each person in a room. Cmon get real. If it’s that bad there’s almost nothing you can do.

Maybe put a plastic bag over your face. That should solve it!

Jk don’t do that, it’s not funny.

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join