It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 4

page: 258
<< 255  256  257    259  260  261 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2
Everyone needs to stop comparing the cfr rate between this and the flu. (Yes, I was guilty of it myself).

They are close but there is NO WAY to know until a study of the general population is taken. Really when you are dealing with a few percentage points like this, data collection methods can really skew the data. It could be much less, exactly the same or worse.

I'm leaning towards it's being less than the flu for all but the very ill. If you only test the people sick enough to go the the hospital, you are really going up the percentage.

The WHO said the CFR is 3.4% but if you look at S Korea where they are actually doing a ton of testing the CFR is hovering around .7%. I think that's a more likely number but even that is 10x worse than the flu and hospitals don't have enough beds for the people who will need them. We know for A FACT that some people wind up in the hospital for an entire month. This is overwhelming the medical professionals who are around highly infectious people constantly and then THEY are getting sick which means a reduced staff. This will eventually lead to a spike in deaths because people can't get the care they need. The US is 2 months behind China. We won't see things start to get really bad until the end of the month. As for wondering why you aren't seeing tons of people talking about being sick.... it's because they get told they are being dramatic just like people who have posted in this thread were told (attention seeking). People are getting sick... they just aren't talking about it because this is supposed to be no big deal. No one wants to be told they are overreacting. My best friend is convinced she has it. She's in a major city that has multiple cases. She THOUGHT she had food poisoning at the beginning of the week but she's still sick and has all the symptoms. Her own husband is telling her she's overreacting.... meanwhile he's having trouble breathing.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
www.bournemouthecho.co.uk...

2 Confirmed cases in Bournemouth UK where i live.

Here we go...
edit on 8-3-2020 by KingDoey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Italian Army chief of staff has tested positive. Not very promising. You would hope the Army had training in infection control measures.

www.bbc.co.uk... d6d%26Italian%20army%20chief%20tests%20positive%262020-03-08T15%3A54%3A42.688Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:0e38fb38-3f40-4e36-96ef-376a44e0 ad84&pinned_post_asset_id=5e6515428d956f0669ae3d6d&pinned_post_type=share

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Major supermarkets are starting to ration certain items here in the UK

Yahoo UK

I've just been on the Tesco website and indeed some items are limited to 5 per purchase (I checked tinned peas and carrots).

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: KingDoey
www.bournemouthecho.co.uk...

2 Confirmed cases in Bournemouth UK where i live.

Here we go...

Thank you for this, my daughter was still debating whether to buy train tickets for the uni open day next month. She has asthma and has suffered through pneumonia in the past, so she has decided that as important as it is to her to check the Uni out, she's not going to risk it.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
School teacher( upper secondary school ) in Kangasala ( Pirkanmaa district) in Finland tested positive for Coronavirus, she had symptoms on tuesday at work and did not teach rest of the week, Total 90 students and some staff was exposed. School is now closed for next week. Teacher had been in Italy on vacation still she attented to school even she had symptoms.

Also Tampere university there is two new cases, both had been in Italy on vacation.

These people should have put in self guarantee, sadly our health organisation had given poor instructions and is handling this like there is nothing to see.. move on !

( google translates finnish badly.. it is not coronary heart disease it is corona disease )
I ltalehti

edit on 8-3-2020 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
A school in Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK has been closed for a deep clean after a staff member has tested positive.

Stoke Sentinel

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueSwan
A school in Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK has been closed for a deep clean after a staff member has tested positive.

Stoke Sentinel

It's good they are cleaning it but it's likely the staff member has already given it to others there so deep cleaning might have a small effect but if they all go back in a day or two it's just a matter of time before someone else there gets sick.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Literally 20 minutes away from where I live, starting to get more real now!

originally posted by: BlueSwan

Stoke Sentinel

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: pasiphae
She THOUGHT she had food poisoning at the beginning of the week but she's still sick and has all the symptoms. Her own husband is telling her she's overreacting.... meanwhile he's having trouble breathing.

I wonder how on earth she keeps from telling him to go screw himself and to watch how he gets treated the next time he's really sick. Some people are the antithesis of "supportive." Maybe she's too sick for a confrontation.
edit on 8-3-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
29m ago
11:37 CDT U.S.
In the UK, a number of supermarkets have placed restrictions on items including pasta, anti-bacterial wipes and hand soap in a bid to prevent shoppers from stockpiling.

PA Media reports that the brands to restrict purchases so far include:

Tesco: a five-item limit on a number of items including pasta, anti-bacterial wipes, gels and sprays, and long-life milk
Waitrose: restrictions on certain anti-bacterial soaps and wipes when shopping online
Asda: hand sanitiser restricted to two per person both in-store and online. No food restrictions. Many anti-bacterial products out of stock online.
Sainsbury’s, Lidl and Morrisons have no restrictions at the moment. Aldi and Ocado have not yet confirmed any restrictions.

The government’s chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said there is “absolutely no reason” for the British public to panic buy.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: asdfa
There's a cruise liner that is about to leave baltimore that was the center of a big flu outbreak and I'm arguing with this person that thinks you can't have the flu and coronvirus at the same time. She's going on the cruise and I think she's in denial. Prime example of Normalcy Bias. Obviously, at least to me, you could have both at the same time since they are different viruses and if you did, it would be a double whammy. The flu would operate as an "underlying health issue" and put you in a much higher risk group. Am I wrong?

I talk to another person going to Israel this morning, and they said, if Israel shuts the borders we won’t go, obviously, but they have been planning the trip for 3 years, everything is lined up, scheduled etc. what if they hold back and don’t go, and others that go, go and they have no issues.

The cruise thing is insane, does not compute. Flying to Israel for a week or two, might be insane but I kinda understand why they are going, yet I don’t. I wouldn’t have went on the trip in the first place, so I’m biased from my point of view.

I think your cruise person is probably like, I’ve spent the money, I’ve been waiting for it, everything is already planned, so best to just pull the trigger.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Grabbed some more non-perishables today. Better be safe than sorry. Have a month supply. Still searching out sanitizer...

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: pasiphae

Comparing South Korea to the rest of the world is very misleading. South Korea and Japan are light years ahead of most countries in the world concerning keeping order and thinking for the good of society, not individually (this is badly seen).
Most of the world in terms of discipline are more like Iran and Italy.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: drussell41

originally posted by: pasiphae
She THOUGHT she had food poisoning at the beginning of the week but she's still sick and has all the symptoms. Her own husband is telling her she's overreacting.... meanwhile he's having trouble breathing.

I wonder how on earth she keeps from telling him to go screw himself and to watch how he gets treated the next time he's really sick. Some people are the antithesis of "supportive." Maybe she's too sick for a confrontation.

He's not my favorite person in the world and they've had a rocky marriage for sure. At one point I didn't speak to him for about a year. He can be really fun and he's super smart.... he's just a total mess when things like this happen. He can't handle it. I'm a bit worried about my friend because she's had health issues. I think she's getting better but I'm concerned about the reports of reinfection and it being worse the second time around.

Gin

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Italy reports staggering 113 deaths in Lombardy. Still waiting for the final report for other regions.

twitter.com...

Lombardy data recorded on 8 March:
• 4189 infected (+769)
• 2217 hospitalized (+556)
• 399 in intensive care (+40)
• 257 deaths (+113) Warning sign
• 550 healed (+26)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

twitter.com...
BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk
BREAKING: Italy reports 1,492 new cases of coronavirus and 133 new deaths, raising total to 7,375 cases and 366 dead

twitter.com...
edit on 8-3-2020 by Dolby_X because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willyblake
a reply to: pasiphae

Comparing South Korea to the rest of the world is very misleading. South Korea and Japan are light years ahead of most countries in the world concerning keeping order and thinking for the good of society, not individually (this is badly seen).
Most of the world in terms of discipline are more like Iran and Italy.

You can see this in Germany. Not many deaths yet.

But... its still the beginning. Hospitals have everything still in good stocks...
edit on 8-3-2020 by Strifingsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   
3 New One
EDMONTON -- Alberta has two new presumptive cases of COVID-19.

The two new cases were announced Sunday morning, bringing the total in the province to three presumptive cases and one confirmed case of coronavirus.

The third presumed case, a man in his 60s who lives in the Edmonton zone, had recently been on a Grand Princess cruise before returning to the province on Feb. 21

The fourth presumed case, a woman in her 30s who lives in the Calgary zone, was in close contact with someone who had recently travelled in Europe, including visits to Ukraine, Turkey and the Netherlands.

edmonton.ctvnews.ca...

top topics

<< 255  256  257    259  260  261 >>

join