It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 4

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thoughtful1
Is this true? In the UK they are making plans to have the military assist with handling the corona virus? They want to have military doctors and nurses assist in the public hospitals because of concern that the existing medical staff will be overwhelmed.

It's been published in the Guardian
So likely true. Altho, military doctors and nurses already work alongside civilians in our NHS so it won't necessarily mean a massive influx of personnel.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22
The Guardian - Live updates

Very interesting development demonstrating how the virus appears to be mutating from country to country as it spreads.

Researchers at Milan’s Sacco Hospital say they have isolated the Italian strain of the coronavirus, reports Lorenzo Tondo.

The scientists say the discovery will help to develop a vaccine and new treatments to contain the virus.

Early in February, Italian researchers from Rome’s Spallanzani hospital successfully isolated Covid-19 which allowed the country to immediately activate tests on patients.

“The virus previously isolated by researchers at the Spallanzani hospital is precisely the Chinese one, originating in Wuhan. While the coronavirus that we have isolated presents the viral strain spreading in Italy,” Claudia Balotta, an immunologist at Milan’s Sacco hospital, told the Corriere della Sera.

“Viruses reshuffle their genetic make-up to better bind to cells in the new host,” Tullio Prestileo, a doctor of infectious diseases at Palermo’s Benfratteli hospital, told the Guardian. “By spreading from one country to another, the virus originating in Wuhan will obviously reshuffle its genetic patrimony and the virus strain in China will be different from the one in Italy or Germany.”

Thanks to the discovery, the Italian researchers believe they can now “trace the journey of the virus from China to Europe and detect the date of its first spread in the country”.

So if it mutates this rapidly, how will an effective vaccine ever be developed? Isn't that part of the problem with the most recent influenza vaccines being ineffective--not only that they called the wrong strain, but that the virus actually mutates while it is being developed?

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: cirrus12
What do those people here based in the UK think about the complete lack of information from the government?

There has been no official press conference or speech by Boris, he gave a quickie interview on the cuff for a couple of minutes and that was it. Nothing like what we are seeing overseas - there is just such a complete lack of anything. I just don't quite get why - I understand they don't want people to panic, but it's almost like we are being treated like little children who can't handle the seriousness of the situation! Very frustrating.

I'd say I'm shocked but I'm not. There's brexit, floods and coronavirus and Boris has been holed up somewhere doing what exactly?

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: cirrus12

The truth? Look at the USA... western countries now politicize everything. No matter what Johnson would say, some asshats will thrash him for it and act like imbeciles, carelessly racking themselves repeatedly in their own ballsacks trying to clamber after him. Hes damned if he speaks, damned if he remains silent, but at least remaining silent doesn't give the opposition any material to twist into an attack that preaches to their minions' blind irrational hatred.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
American health care providers are working with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and health experts in preparation for further spread of the coronavirus inside the country.
However, the cost of testing and in-patient hospital care of pneumonia and other complications is likely to be high.
Patients facing high OOPs [out-of-pocket] for deductibles and co-insurance could be very hard-hit financially.

link   
Thanks, it will be interesting to see how we react to this, compared with other countries like Japan, Italy etc
reply to: musicismagic

link   

How Accurate Are Rapid Flu Tests?

The diagnostic accuracy of flu tests is often overestimated by clinicians. So how sensitive are they for “flu-like illness”?

Rapid Influenza Testing
The diagnostic accuracy of influenza swabs is often overestimated by clinicians. The CDC notes that rapid influenza testing has a sensitivity ranging from approximately 50% to 70% — meaning that in up to half of influenza cases, the flu swab results will still be negative. Another study in Turkey showed that the sensitivity of rapid influenza testing for H1N1 ranged from 31.7% to 50%, again depending on the brand of test. A 2012 metanalysis of the accuracy of rapid influenza testing showed an average sensitivity for detecting influenza in adults of only 54%. Sensitivity in children is somewhat higher since they tend to shed more virus. In most studies, the specificity of influenza testing is 90-95%, meaning that there is a much lower incidence of false positive results.

epmonthly.com...

With an inaccurate test for the flue, the unusual bad flue season; and the fact that even now our health system is resisting testing; could COVID-19 been around longer than we think?

What if it emerged in China early November instead of mid December?
edit on 28-2-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
Looks like I have a prepper in my city:

dfw.cbslocal.com...

CBS local interviewed him and he just gave himself away. Now everyone is going to be banging on his door when it all goes bad. Good grief!

Can’t get the video to work but that’s a lot of rice!

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtful1

it is a commonly believed prophecy (attributed to Joseph Smith?) that in the "last days" the world will become so unstable that the missionaries will all be called back home.

so, no, it is no small thing that they have made this decision.

(for the record, i went inactive in the church at the age of 17 and now, at 41, i am fully apostate (lol). i have not yet gone so far as to have my records expunged.)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
haha big sticks!
a reply to: Power_Semi

link   
double posting issues ffs

edit on 28-2-2020 by cirrus12 because: (no reason given)

link   

What do those people here based in the UK think about the complete lack of information from the government?

The UK are giving lots of information, here's a few examples:

1. Face masks are useless, and the public buying them is preventing frontline staff buying them.

2. Flu kills more.

3. Most people will barely get the sniffles.

4. If you suspect you have the virus, get someone else to take your kids to school.

My responses to those:

1. Face masks are so useless, then why does the frontline need them? Why the hell are the frontline having to pop down to screwfix to buy their own PPE?? They have tried to wriggle out of this by claiming P95 etc are super duper special masks. They are not. They are (or were) very common, widely used, and readily available. Of course anything less is rubbish, but that is not what they were claiming.

2. Of course flu kills more, it is everywhere. nCoV is not. Yet. But nCoV, based on most published research and data, has a mortality rate at least 30 times higher than flu, so once nCoV is as widespread as flu...

3. It's true most people will suffer mildly, but it doesn't change the fact that 19-23% may have severe symptoms, which could be deadly if hospitals are overwhelmed.

4. Send your kids to school with a mate if you are suspect you have the virus?? OK, put your feet up, and send your kids to school with a mate, infecting your mate and the rest of the school. Nice cluster you made there.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: FamCore

OK. So it is established that you want panic shopping akin to what we see in Italy?

Being realistic, we're going to have panic buying. It does zero good to be the only thoughtful, self restrained individual in the room. I think we're starting to see that right now. It's not so much panic buying over the virus, it's panic buying to ensure you're not kicked in the ass by the empty shelves you'll find when the actual virus caused panic buyers clear the stores out. Nobody wants dinner to be cloves and capers with a sauce of sugar free carmel syrup because that was all Fred Meyers had left in stock after the ravenous horde swept through 10 minutes before you arrived.

Seeing something unusual in Ohio. All of the bleach was gone in Walmart. In CVS, I have never seen their OTC med shelves so empty. About 1/2 of many products normally fully stocked. Just saying....it might be starting now already a little bit.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: checkmeout

There has been no official press conference or speech by Boris, he gave a quickie interview on the cuff for a couple of minutes and that was it. Nothing like what we are seeing overseas - there is just such a complete lack of anything. I just don't quite get why - I understand they don't want people to panic, but it's almost like we are being treated like little children who can't handle the seriousness of the situation! Very frustrating.

I'd say I'm shocked but I'm not. There's brexit, floods and coronavirus and Boris has been holed up somewhere doing what exactly?

He's been holed up nursing a black eye from his new Mrs according to my mother in Law. Apparently he's been sleeping around because she is now pregnant. After doing the same to his ex-wife while she was on chemo, this would not surprise me. He's a lovely piece of work.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtful1

Which is an indicator of the coming severity of the epidemic, as Mormons seem to be up their in the CIA, and would be beholden to advise their community of what they know.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Yeah true, anything he says will be picked apart either now or later.
In reality him not speaking is a warning in my opinion. If he genuinely thought things would be fine I am sure they (his handlers/govt/party) would let him say so to everyone, a bit of reassurance. But his lack of that makes me think he can't fake this - he knows if he says all is fine and it ends badly, it would finish him and he cares more about that - and knows the signs that it will not go so well are here.
USA and the UK are just treading water until they have to really reveal more of the reality - and i don't mean end of days stuff, but just the huge damage to the economy, widespread community spread and extreme strain on services, shortages and overall a difficult year...

a reply to: burdman30ott6

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   

On the one hand people around me are planning their summer holidays and I'm wondering if I have enough batteries...

I forgot about the batteries! Back to Costco tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Yeah it's ridiculous - it's giving people the false perception that it is nothing/don't worry/carry on as normal but wash your hands basically.
I think they have forgotten that China shut down their entire workforce, quarantine millions of people and have gone to extreme measures to try and contain it. Also interesting to note is that here the MSM have not really mentioned China for a while...

a reply to: Oppenheimer67

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   
sorry about double posting, think it's my pc
edit on 28-2-2020 by cirrus12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: drussell41

oh the crazy has really come home here in Utah. the report from my sister is empty shelves in the local Costco (mormons looooove their Costco!)

edit on 2020-02-28T17:52:34-06:0005America/Chicago02C-0600Feb-06:00 by tgidkp because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join