It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 4

page: 219
<< 216  217  218    220  221  222 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: malektaus
a reply to: MonkeyBalls2

doesnt mean anything to me, i cant do my job at home. it would be impossible

Neither can I, I have to be on-site, sort of part of the Job description

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   
BBC Live feed at 18h59 : Pokemon European Championships cancelled.

Might actually save some lives this one. (There have been a surprising number of Pokemon related deaths/incidents)

www.bbc.com...
edit on 6-3-2020 by MonkeyBalls2 because: spelling

edit on 6-3-2020 by MonkeyBalls2 because: spelling again

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Virtual teams and staff don’t perform as well as ones who are co-located (same building) and telework 1-2 days a week.

I as a project manager and we study this stuff constantly.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom
He then says something like "I really don't think corona would be anything worse than a cold anyway so I don't mind at all if you'd come on in".

So desperate for employee's you'd risk the health of all your other employee's?

Yea, I think I'll have to pass on this "opportunity".

Needless to say I was kind of stunned, and told him I'd give him a call later today (I won't be calling) to let him know when I'd be in. Are people really this damn stupid?

Why, yes, Grasshopper. Yes, they are.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic

Virtual teams and staff don’t perform as well as ones who are co-located (same building) and telework 1-2 days a week.

Yeah, but after two weeks, they might get used to it.
I would expect them to self quarantine for 14 days or so.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here is today's breakdown on Italy.

Yesterday:

Hospitalization and ICU ratios increased.

Not to mention 27% dead to 73% recovered. I think this L strain is gonna have a much higher CFR than 3.4%.

www.worldometers.info...

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tukota

originally posted by: pasiphae
US 234 cases and 14 deaths - that's a 5.9% CFR. We're really trying to win this thing!

I realize the numbers are skewed due to the assisted living place getting hit. It's early in the numbers game but it's not looking good after watching the presser with the families at the life care center

I wonder if Pence ever saw that video where the families were begging him and/or the governor to come meet with them. I also suspect that even though they tell us in their press conferences that masks aren't necessary, that they'd all have masks on if they took that meeting with the families. One last comment on the press conference from Tuesday evening...the guy from the CDC (Redfield) he's standing there responding to a reporter's question about what we should do with the lack of hand sanitizer that some places are experiencing and he says (paraphrasing here) not to worry and just wash your hands a lot. Someone here posted a great recipe to make your own hand sanitizer using 60% alcohol 40% aloe vera gel. Why couldn't he just simply tell people there are very easy ways to make your own and post the directions on their site? I felt he was being a little condescending. Yes, washing hands works, but if you've just left a grocery store and come in contact with the cart, the card reader thing that you enter your PIN into, or the door, a little hand sanitizer comes in handy. Rant over. Sorry.

i have to be honest. i think a lot of people have things backwards. hand sanitizer is in fact just a stop gap measure, and not the be all and end all of cleaning your hands. i don't even like using hand sanitizer, since it actually does nothing to actually clean your hands. at most it might kill some germs and bacteria. but all the dirt and crud is still there, just moved around a bit. where properly washing your hands with soap, is the far better4 cleaning solution. it does just as much if not more to deal with germs and bacteria. and also (especially if using some sort of towel to dry), removes actual dirt and other crap from your hands.

i would be far more concerned about running out of actual soap over running out of hand sanitizer. and lets be fair he probably has no idea at all that people could make their own hand sanitizer. most people don't even consider that, which is why you seem to think he should have informed them of it. but how would someone inform others of something they are very likely unaware of. and i seriously doubt healthcare professionals, which are pretty much bought off by the pharmaceutical industry, would be advising him and the President that making hand sanitizer is an option. nor can i see the CDC doing the same. so you really can't fault him for not telling people they can. and guess what the health proffesionals and those in positions like the CDC are all saying exactly the same thing, WASH YOUR HANDS, and wash them a lot.

as for your bitching and moaning that stores don't have free hand sanitizer for you to use. that is just ridiculass. if you are so concerned that such is needed, why do you not stock it up in your car? even m ore true since you apparently are an expert in making your own, so not being able to buy it should not be a hinderance for you to do so. personally screw hand sanitizer. it would be far better (and likely cheaper in the end), to put in a sink people can wash their hands with after leaving the store. but why is it even up to the store to supply your hand cleaning needs for you? sounds like a personal accountability thing. and not something that needs to be socialized (ie set up and given to everyone free, because they can't think or do for themselves). it's something stores have chosen to do as a curtesy. and by the way such supplies have to be ordered in advance, to be had. and i highly suspect that they have gone through much more than they have ever needed. and if they can't keep the stuff on the shelves for people to buy, how can you not realize that they likely can't get more for themselves for this curtesy?

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It seems as though the virus is present in stool after it is negative in nasal samples, even after a patient is considered to be cured:

In the 292 confirmed cases, 66 patients recovered after treatment and were included in our study. In total, 28 (42.4%) women and 38 men (57.6%) with a median age of 44.0 (34.0-62.0) years were analyzed. After in-hospital treatment, patients' inflammatory indicators decreased with improved clinical condition. The median time from the onset of symptoms to first negative RT-PCR results for oropharyngeal swabs in convalescent patients was 9.5 (6.0-11.0) days. By February 10, 2020, 11 convalescent patients (16.7%) still tested positive for viral RNA from stool specimens and the other 55 patients' stool specimens were negative for 2019-nCoV following a median duration of 11.0 (9.0-16.0) days after symptom onset. Among these 55 patients, 43 had a longer duration until stool specimens were negative for viral RNA than for throat swabs, with a median delay of 2.0 (1.0-4.0) days. Results for only four (6.9%) urine samples were positive for viral nucleic acid out of 58 cases; viral RNA was still present in three patients' urine specimens after throat swabs were negative.

CONCLUSIONS:

In brief, as the clearance of viral RNA in patients' stools was delayed compared to that in oropharyngeal swabs, it is important to identify viral RNA in feces during convalescence. Because of the delayed clearance of viral RNA in the glucocorticoid treatment group, glucocorticoids are not recommended in the treatment of COVID-19, especially for mild disease. The duration of RNA detection may relate to host cell immunity.

Persistence and clearance of viral RNA in 2019 novel coronavirus disease rehabilitation patients. - PubMed

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   
4 more positive cases of COVID-19 discovered in Ontario

New cases are in Toronto and Peel

The ministry says one of the cases announced Friday includes a man in his 40s who recently returned from Las Vegas.
Two of the other new cases stem from a couple in their 60s who were aboard the Grand Princess cruise ship that travelled to Mexico last month. The other confirmed case is a man in his 50s who returned from Iran on Feb. 27.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I just learned that the local school district brought a bunch of kids back, about a week or week and a half ago, from Italy.

Not a peep on the local media about it. No word as to if they are in isolation, or have returned to their home schools.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic

True, I work from 1 or twice a week, but you still cannot beat actual elbow to elbow work for certain things. I am a programmer.
Working from home is great for when I have a single intensive task and I don't want to be interrupted, but business panics a bit when they don't see my ugly bald head.

Just hate it now when someone takes over my mouse or keyboard... still figuring out how to disinfect it afterwards without hurting sensitive feelings.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The other thing to consider, with people working from home if they are fortunate to be able to, is the absolute overload of the networks. We use Citrix, and it can only handle so much capacity (I work with big data). During the xenophobic riots in the city last year we were told to work from home for a few days, and it was a bit of a disaster.
Businesses are going to have to consider this as well - because a slow network is as useful to me as two tin cans connected by a piece of string.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Replying to: Generik

as for your bitching and moaning that stores don't have free hand sanitizer for you to use. that is just ridiculass.

I'm sorry, are you talking to me? I never suggested, ever, that stores give anything out for free. I am also immunosuppressed and keep hand sanitizer in both vehicles, my purse, and my desk drawer. My point was that you are not always close to a sink to wash your hands when you've left a store, and if the supply runs low that a good alternative would be to try to make some. And to your other point about me being an expert on making it: I have never made it, and am not an expert. I said, that someone on this thread posted the directions for how to do. I think if the supply in my area is completely out though, that I will try it.

edit on 6/3/2020 by Tukota because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Ok so I have been following the thread 1 2 and 3 since they started and a bit about covid 19 before like lots of others.

My daughter lives in Toronto and I live in Mississauga, between both cities we the most cases in Ontario Canada,

My daughter and her fiance have been travelling for the past month out west from Toronto to Vancouver and then to LA for the last 10 days. They are both home now and fine. We are all glad they are back in Canada even tho we have cases here. Rather be home than anywhere else at this point.

One guy who tested positive at the hospital 5 minutes away from me went from Toronto to Las Vegas and then back here in Toronto( Mississauga is only 15 minute drive from Toronto). When he got home he went to work for 3 days and took 4 different buses and streetcars everyone of those 3 days. Not sure yet if he was aware he was sick or whatever.

TTC and Miway bus companys are now tracking all the vehicles he used and trying to find all the contacts he made along his merry route and all the people he worked with.

I dont post very much here although been a member for a long time and wanted to say I am so glad I never left this site.
Thank you to everybody for all the updates and posts that have been very informative.

I have missed the last few pages due to heavy workload but one thing I havnt seen mentioned yet is St. Patricks day which as we all know is a huge world wide event. I am a chef by trade and hate pattys day, sorry to those who do. I have always worked them and even when i was off I still did not attend celebrations, if you have ever worked one you will understand why.

I DO NOT want to work it this year more than any other year that I have.
It is only a couple of weeks away and by then Im sure there will be hundreds more cases by then.
I feel afraid but thats ok because it also makes me feel aware.

Once again thank you all for the great updates and info
:
edit on 6-3-2020 by alphacenturi because: no reason given

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tukota

Replying to: Generik

as for your bitching and moaning that stores don't have free hand sanitizer for you to use. that is just ridiculass.

I'm sorry, are you talking to me? I never suggested, ever, that stores give anything out for free. I am also immunosuppressed and keep hand sanitizer in both vehicles, my purse, and my desk drawer. My point was that you are not always close to a sink to wash your hands when you've left a store, and if the supply runs low that a good alternative would be to try to make some. And to your other point about me being an expert on making it: I have never made it, and am not an expert. I said, that someone on this thread posted the directions for how to do. I think if the supply in my area is completely out though, that I will try it.

I can't find my previous post, but these should be the links, if they're the ones you were thinking of
:

The Verge
www.theverge.com...

WHO
www.who.int...

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It’s been a long time since I’ve been back but I’ve never stopped reading or preparing. Let’s remember all we need it to work together and not over react.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
19h48 update just in from the Live Feed below :

France is up to 613, 190 more than yesterday.
39 (of 613) are currently in ER Emergency.

www.20minutes.fr...

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Thank you!

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I just noticed that the percentage of recovery vs. infected has switched again. For the last two weeks, give or take, the percentage of recovered has been going up, while the percentage of infections going down. Yesterday it was like 56.5% recovered. Now it is showing 55% recovered.

That can only mean the spread is speeding up again, and people are catching it faster than those already infected can recover.

Not good news, as that means we will have more active infections at any one time. You can't move people out of hospital beds fast enough to make room for new infections.

covid19info.live...
edit on 6-3-2020 by MrRCflying because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrRCflying
I just noticed that the percentage of recovery vs. infected has switched again. For the last two weeks, give or take, the percentage of recovered has been going up, while the percentage of infections going down. Yesterday it was like 56.5% recovered. Now it is showing 55% recovered.

That can only mean the spread is speeding up again, and people are catching it faster than those already infected can recover.

Not good news, as that means we will have more active infections at any one time. You can't move people out of hospital beds fast enough to make room for new infections.

covid19info.live...

Its not so much the spread is speeding it up, in France at least they are finding new clusters of cases.
More cases are being discovered, and tests are coming back, I would think, 8-24h after the test.
And that delay will just get longer, the more cases there are.

top topics

<< 216  217  218    220  221  222 >>

join