It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 4

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This will not end well for Iraq:

Iraq’s government has banned large public gatherings as coronavirus spreads. It’s also ordered cafes, restaurants and clubs to close.

But in Baghdad, life appears to be going on as normal and some business owners think the government's response is exaggerated.

www.aljazeera.com...
edit on 2/28/2020 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: nolabel
a reply to: Jobeycool

.possibly alien abductions caused it

Of all the theories as to how this started this has got to be the number 1
Most ridiculous.
Well least I got the most ridiculous lol...

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: jadedANDcynical
From what I have read, the severe cases require intensive care, with the use of oxygen and often ventilators. Just hospital beds won't be enough for those people.
Oh, and the people that need these types of treatment need it for months.

I think you meant weeks? I haven't seen anything saying months, except maybe for the most extreme cases.

No, I meant to say months.

"He went in to a doctor. They said, 'You have the flu — don't worry.' He went home. Two days later, he was in the ER. Five days later, he was very sick and in the ICU" with organ failure, del Rio says. While it's possible for patients who reach this stage to survive, recovery can take many weeks or months.

NPR
The case above was a kid in the US that got a flu shot.
This from UCHealth:

Most people who fall ill recover within two weeks. People with more severe cases generally recover in three to six weeks.

UCHealth
I have been reading on these threads that the Chinese found that the severe cases require sometimes months of hospitalization.
edit on b000000292020-02-28T14:38:01-06:0002America/ChicagoFri, 28 Feb 2020 14:38:01 -0600200000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5
a reply to: carewemust
seasonal flu doesn't shut down the planet. this is.

Who said it was seasonal flu?

Seriously...

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
For everyone who thinks in a level-headed Manner. All others can disregard.

mobile.twitter.com...

It isn't the number of deaths that is concerning (well it is, but it's not the only thing) it is the potential to have the stock market crash, millions of people having to shelter in place without being able to work/no paycheck/no rent money, lack of ability to buy extra food or supplies if needed for many people, businesses to temporarily close, the lack of medical beds/supplies in many hospitals IF thousands of people got sick all at once, the potential societal effects of a highly stressful environment,...the list goes on and on. So tell me again how the number of people who die from the flu each year is something I should only think about right now. I have always liked your posts and totally respect your opinion here. But please, please think about the other issues and get prepared some just in case. Please.

link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5
a reply to: carewemust

seasonal flu doesn't shut down the planet. this is.

That to me is what should be making more heads turn, or that IS turning heads right now. No one wants to be chicken little, but then, the newspapers have been crying wolf so many times, they have created a society of dismissive attitudes and complacency. The danger is that this is the one time everyone should be paying attention.
If on the other hand it turns out to be recoverable, then when the big pandemic actually does hit, no one will care.
edit on 28-2-2020 by saladfingers123456 because: (no reason given)

link   

"I think you meant weeks? I haven't seen anything saying months, except maybe for the most extreme cases."

"He went in to a doctor. They said, 'You have the flu — don't worry.' He went home. Two days later, he was in the ER. Five days later, he was very sick and in the ICU" with organ failure, del Rio says. While it's possible for patients who reach this stage to survive, recovery can take many weeks or months."

Yes. That was an extreme case. Not typical, even for the serious cases.
edit on 28-2-2020 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
maybe it is just fear mongering paranoia

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

"I think you meant weeks? I haven't seen anything saying months, except maybe for the most extreme cases."

"He went in to a doctor. They said, 'You have the flu — don't worry.' He went home. Two days later, he was in the ER. Five days later, he was very sick and in the ICU" with organ failure, del Rio says. While it's possible for patients who reach this stage to survive, recovery can take many weeks or months."

Yes. That was an extreme case. Not typical, even for the serious cases.

No, it was a kid in the US that got a flu shot.
Regular flu.
The people that get months long hospitalization for COVID-19 in China tend to be those that have other conditions like heart/lung ailments, are elderly, or both.
It has been covered in these threads that many of the severe cases in China require months of hospitalization.... according to the Chinese.
That is why they are building hospitals and converting stadiums into hospitals, because they didn't have enough of them.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Grrrr Dow is approaching -4 figures again...

edit on 28-2-2020 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think it's only a matter of time before we see some kind of military mobilisation in the UK. Has anyone seen similar in Germany or France?

This Guardian article mentions military medics. It's my understanding that most of them already work in the NHS so wouldn't really fill the gap? But happy to be wrong. I'd be interested to see which deployments have changed recently.

Brick17, do you have an update??

As part of the official action plan being drawn up by ministers and Whitty, military medics and British Red Cross and St John Ambulance personnel will be drafted in to help the NHS cope with a major outbreak.
Under ministerial planning for a “reasonable worst-case scenario” of a potential pandemic, doctors and nurses working for the armed forces would help at hospitals where staff who have the virus are too ill to work or are self-isolating at home.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Dog Tests Positive for New COVID-19 Virus

A spokesman for Hong Kong's Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said in a statement that the dog was tested and that the test showed a "weak positive" for the COVID-19 disease, which is a caused by the new virus.

Testing was done after the agency received a referral from the Department of Health about a dog of a patient confirmed to have the new disease. Staff members from the government picked up the dog and collected oral, nasal, and rectal samples.

The nasal and oral cavity samples came back with weak positives.

The dog doesn't have any symptoms linked to the new virus, the Hong Kong government said. The dog remains under quarantine.....

www.theepochtimes.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Two dozen Rhode Islanders have been monitored for coronavirus illness, according to this article.

This is the smallest state in the US....

www.wpri.com...

I was planning to travel to Rhode Island in 6 weeks ... and am having second thoughts, not necessarily because of this article, but there is a good chance this virus is about everywhere now, making air travel hazardous. Who knows, they might shut down travel between now and then altogether? ?

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: GlobalGold
So dogs could end up being a possible vector for the virus. I guess that would explain the videos of the Chinese authorities rounding up dogs and killing them by smacking them on the heads with shovels.
This is going to cause some problems for dog lovers in the US. We have a different view of dogs than they do in China, they eat them over there.

edit on b000000292020-02-28T14:55:36-06:0002America/ChicagoFri, 28 Feb 2020 14:55:36 -0600200000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Bno updates

NEW: Lebanon closes schools across the country for at least 1 week to prevent the spread of coronavirus - NNA

NEW: CBS temporarily suspends production of "The Amazing Race" amid concern over coronavirus; all contestants and staff members are returning home - Variety

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
There have been a lot of viral claims and videos on Twitter and Facebook surrounding the Coronavirus.

Here is a list of debunked claims/videos
(I have seen many of these false stories myself, including the So2 bloom over Wuhan reported in earlier threads).

factcheck.afp.com...

DENY IGNORANCE

Note: #61 citing no cases in Nigeria is now out of date. Since the publishing of the article, Coronavirus DID end up spreading there.
edit on 2/28/2020 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

They're doing further testing on the dog to find out if it is truly "infected" or has just somehow picked up virus from home environment, causing the positive test

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is a local doctor from a nearby town addressing people on FB.

So what to do about coronavirus in your own life? First, I do suggest limited travel and avoiding unnecessary social gatherings should the problem get worse in the next 2-3 weeks - especially for the elderly. As of this day, there is no known risk in the general population - if you get sick before March 7, it is almost certainly NOT coronavirus. The germ is spread both by droplets and contact. The standard surgical mask now fashionable in Asia will not protect you because it does not seal off enough air flow. Good luck getting anything with a better filter right now (N95 or better) - even hospitals can no longer find them. You should wash your hands frequently, especially after contact with new people or the outside world. Goggles are being worn, not only to protect against droplets, but also to prevent one from rubbing their eyes and bringing in the germ that way. In the next few weeks, if you get sick with a fever and a cough, preestablished patients may call my office for a phone-in conventional antibiotic prescription. After all, it might just be garden-variety bronchitis. However, if this does not help or if you are rapidly getting worse with shortness of breath, I suggest you go to the local hospital for diagnosis and care. There is little I can do for you in my office under those circumstances. The hospital will presumably have better infection control measures, respiratory care equipment, IV fluids, and, most importantly, they can do a chest xray. A chest xray in coronavirus can show a characteristic paettern similar to Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome/ARDS ("ground glass pattern") that might suggest the need for critical care. I hope you find this helpful, if perhaps not entirely re-assuring. With luck, perhaps this will all pass over without major problems. Probably the hardest thing to cope with is that people born after the polio epidemic of the early 1950's have no sense or recollection of what it is like to live through an epidemic, or of the helplessness we can feel under those circumstances. We now assume that there MUST be a cure for any health problem and that it can be controlled fully with the right measures. There are things we can and should do but some things are just impossible right now. Fortunately, if statistics hold true - 99% of us will get through this regardless. 1% of 300+ million US residents could be a lot of deaths however.

He doesn't even want you to come in his office if you are sick.

I do not blame him though.
edit on 28-2-2020 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I have a question. I train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with a guy who is going to China in March to adopt a kid, along with his wife. My question is will he still be able to fly there and if so will he have to enter an official quarantine when he gets back or just the home quarantine?

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: saladfingers123456
The virus affecting a large proportion of the world is the first domino.
The overwhelmed health system is the second.
The quarantine and its affects on business and supply chain is the third (the downside of globalisation laid bare).
If it gets beyond that, then the forth domino is the loss of many people with illnesses that can no longer be treated due to all the previous breaks in normality.
The fifth is the lack of food, and possibly some break down in essential services.

And that's just the first year, first wave.

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join