It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Everybody Had a Gun.....

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Evanzsayz

My 3 and 4 year old don't have guns, that would be insane.

BUT, they are aware of guns, they know how mine work, they know not to touch them, and they know the guns will kill things and they never come back. They also do not point their toy guns at anything alive.

I have promised them BB guns at age 6, and maybe a .22 by age 8 or 9 depending on how they handle the BB gun.

My six year old has a BB gun. He is only allowed to use it with me. It is treated with the respect of a "real" firearm. It gets secured when not in use like my other pistols. He was trained and educated on it like it was real. The key is educating. Just like I educated him not to cross the street without looking or playing in the street. Like you, I have taught him to use his play guns just like the real thing. 3 rules: Finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, never point it at something you don't intend to shoot, and always assume its loaded. You would be amazed how smart a 6 year old is.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I live in America, Southern state of N.C. I own several, carry one on my person at all times, even when I'm in my yard. I "open carry" because I want you to see that I am armed. It makes a criminal think twice before singleing me out as a victim. I know this sounds cliche but, Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Like the other post said, if guns were never invented we would still use what ever, knife stick, bat, club etc etc.

So i would say society would be alot safer if your way was the way. How can one say guns kill people? Do pencils miss-spell words?

I don't go around telling this to alot of people. If you know me you know this about me. If it was not for my Glock 40cal I would not be here on this wonderful site writing these words. It saved my life & the life of my wife. I cannot say the same for the thug that came thru our front door at 3:45am brandishing a shot gun. I did not hestitate in my reaction. I am not proud of it & I will live with it for the rest of my life, I also would not hesitate to do it again if my life was threatened.
edit on 19-10-2011 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

Sorry, my post was in response to the OP. I figured you were him responding to me.

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
Before I really get into this I just want to say absolutely I am against gun ownership I believe that guns are inherently evil objects of death

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funshinez

Originally posted by Monkeygod333
I have often wondered the same thing. No robber would enter a house knowing there's no less than 5 guns lying about. I'm no gun toting crazy person but the idea just makes so much sense.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

What if he waits for everyone to leave so he can steal the valuable guns he knows are there?

This is one argument about gun ownership deterring robberies that I can't deny. Maybe it does deter robberies, but it also provides something valuable to break in for. I know lots and lots of people that have had their guns stolen whle they were away at work.

You can take some precautions with safes and security systems, but in a rural area like I am from, it might be 2 hours before the sheriff responds to the alarm call. The guns protect you when you are home, but they provide an incentive when you are away.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

This scenario of yours has already been done.
At birth we all receive a brain and a set of fists.
Some use one or the other, some use both.
Some just learn to make their fists bigger, ie guns, knife, sharp stick, rock, Etc.
I use my guns to keep the stupid at bay.
I'm sure there are folks in parts of the world that wish they had the capacity to keep stupid at bay.
Lucky me!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Like the saying goes if a republican doesn't like guns he wont buy them but a liberal will try to ban them all.

In a world without guns the man with the potato gun is king, or the man with the biggest knife or longest club or least fear of gasoline and matches or reinforced car bumper or most durable chainsaw or chemical weapons experts ect ect ect.

Humans kill not guns - they are inert objects.

And while you fill your head with fairy tales about how evil they are try telling the 2.5 million people every year who are protected just in the US alone by guns that fact.

Matter of fact before you continue your trip down I am so convinced in the facts highway. Try researching the actual statistics about gun deaths IE that 54% of them in the US each year are suicides. Now your facts have been cut in half try again taking out accidents and police actions and what do you have left a 1 in 100,000 chance of being murdered by a firearm in the US maybe ? that's pretty good by any countries standards.

The flu by comparison takes 10x as many unwilling lives in the US every year have a war on that.
edit on 19-10-2011 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

If you're carrying a gun, then what exactly is your response to going to be when the first time you're aware that you're being mugged is a gun pressing against your head and a gang of people demanding your money ?

There is a great deal more to "security" than just having a weapon. You need to be aware of your surroundings and continually assess those who appear to present a risk. It is possible to determine possible mal-intent just be observing people's behavior. You really can be aware of a possible mugging long before it occurs.

You can also choose the places you go and the times that you will be there. It is possible to avoid "danger zones". This can't be done if you are dancing along wearing headphones while being completely unaware of where you are going and who is following you.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hmm.. an anti-gun advocate actually using logic to figure this out? Bravo!

Agreed, it's nice to think warm fuzzy thoughts about having a world where guns don't exist, but they DO exist. If you ban them, people will get them illegally, just like they got their booze illegally during prohibition. People without guns will be conquered by people WITH guns, as has been historically proven time and time again. Ask any Native American.

So while it's nice to dream about all kinds of "what-ifs", that is not the reality of the world in which we live. We have guns - they exist - they're not going away. If he "authorities" confiscate them in the name of safety and security, guess what? The "authorities" will still have them. Would you really feel safe and secure then?

One day soon guns will be used to emancipate this country from the ever-tightening noose of the police state, and you all will be glad we have them.

So take a page from this guy's notebook, people. Use logic. Exist in reality. You can't legislate fantasy.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by student777

this is how things were in the old west. People got shot all the time. Very few people lived to old age.

This really isn't a true assessment of the Old West. Gunfigts were not that common, and many gunfighters were poor shots. Frequently both men in a duel survived.

You make it sound like everyone in the Old West died of gunshot wounds. That just wasn't the case.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

We learned what a gun obsessed society was like in the Wild Wild West....

That was mostly Hollywood and dime novels. The Old West really wasn't actually one continuous shoot-out. People were armed, and it was prudent to mind your manners.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

A baseball bat would suffice for you to protect your home and family

In all cases, against all foes? Even against a really big guy with a machette? Even if you are 70 and the invader is 20?

The first assumption we should make about a free society is that the large majority of the citizens are good people. If that assumption is invalid, then that society is already doomed. Should the assumption stand, then society is not a severe risk from armed citizens, who are not disposed to mischief in the first place.

Dictatorships have good cause to disarm its subjects. Other societies have much to gain through armed citizens.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by definity

i dont want no human blood on my hands weather they are bad or not, the only time i would kill is becuase i have to not becuase some one is burgling my house

That is no reason to enforce those beliefs forothers. If you wish to die like a sheep, that is your choice. Please do not infringe upon our right to self defense.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Doesn't everybody pretty much have a gun in Canada, and it's no big deal? I mean, every once in a great while somebody will go crazy and kill somebody, but most people have and understand guns, and don't go nuts.

Guns don't kill people. They kill raccoons.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Guns dont kill people, Rappers do - GoldieLookinChain

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
There's good evidence for why guns are good for defence, and the need for a gun is a real need in certain circumstances. What i find interesting is that why is society so violent that people need guns in the first place. What are the causes for this level of violence in society. Not all societies have such a problem with violence. More importantly can anything be done about it or is it just the human condition to be violent to your fellow man/woman. (deleted) if i know !
edit on 19-10-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I think that It would inevitably lead to a more violent society

I don't think so.Crime rate would drop.Thugs wouldn't be able to pick on people knowing they have a gun.

That's when you realize that it's criminals that make this law.If people could protect themselves then the police would be out of a job.

They need violence and chaos.It fills the police,doctors,nurses,firemen,FBI,lawyers,judges and the government's pockets,

More crime = more court dates,more hospital visits = more money in the pocket.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Americans love their guns....

honestly, everyone having a gun would be a good thing? are you lot nuts? i will never understand the American notion most have that having an easy long range killing weapon is a good thing for all to have.

maybe its because im not American and i was not brought up in a society where guns are legal, honestly though, i just cant understand it. If guns where made legal here in Scotland, within the first month about one fifth of the poulation would be in jail or dead. As i said, perhaps its just the way we Brits and you Americans are socilised from an early age. I too would have a different view if i was American.

Its actually a really hard question OP. We would likely see mass murders in every country except America as they have lived with guns for generations since around the West was colonised mid 19th century. We still do a lot of killing here in Britain with knifes and such. But if you gave us all the right to buy a gun here, id see it being catastrophic to be honest

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

The cat is already out of the bag, just the same as prisoners find ways to make shanks criminals will always find ways to make guns. Just watch the documentary Gunsmith of Williamsburg if you have any doubts.

Gun control legislation just hurts the lawful gun owner, and helps criminals feel more secure in their line of work. The threat of instant death is a very powerful deterant, and the right to be secure and safe is a fundamanetal right. Guns and humans go hand and hand and they will never go away, even with all the legislation in the world.

Gunsmith of Williamsburg
veehd.com...

P.S. I once had the privilage of shooting a home made, hand held electric 12 Gauge gatling gun. It was made from standard parts from the harware store! Like I said the cat is already out of the bag.

That old saying that if guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns is very true! We have a right to match the threat we face with equal odds! I really dont see how you would not agree. Killers are killers with or with guns, and if a person would go to those ends they most certainly would buy or build some homemade rig to make their job easier!
edit on 19-10-2011 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
1938 Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, 6 to 7 million Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally ill, and 12 million Christians who were unable to defend themselves, were rounded up - exterminated. 1956 Cambodia established gun control. From 1975 to 1977, one million "educated" people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.....

funny thing that happens when people are not allowed access to firearms (law abiding ones at least)
edit on 19-10-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This 'equality' already happened many times over now. We were once all armed with firsts + teeth, then sticks and stones....etc.

The point is it will not stop the problems. It will only (as mentioned) force a search for further advantage, like gang strategies, deception, fear-mongering (for psychological advantages) etc., and in the end will only bump things further (think of old Loony Toons cartoons where they always work to one-up one-another - slingshot, pistol, rifle, cannon....

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join