It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Everybody Had a Gun.....

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Back in the day when everyone was walking around with a sword.. you could see they had a sword and they could see that you had one too. If you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. Whats the big deal about guns anyways? Its just some powder in a shell with a piece of metal at the end that goes flying when you hit the other end. We have all heard it a million times, but its true Guns dont kill people. People kill people.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

I mean come on...your country has a problem with guns yet you refuse to see that it is your easy access to weapons that make it so dangerous.

Check the statistics. More people are killed by doctors than by those armed with guns. America does not have a "gun problem". All of that is simply greatly exaggerated by leftist-extremist media. I'm 62 years old, and have never seen any sort of a shoot-out. I have seen automobile accidents that killed people and I used to know people that died from medical mistakes. Mark my words, America does not have a "gun problem" except for the one caused by "gun grabbers".
Remember, the police are minutes away when seconds count. I had an intruder in my home years ago. He left when he heard me cock my weapon. The police arrived 1 hour and 45 minutes after I called. If I had not been armed, my family may have had a very unpleasant experience including rape and murder.
If you wish to remain defenseless, please do so. Do not try to limit my options.
You are mistaken if you think your government will defend you when desperately needed. They will merely show up to fill out paperwork. Baaaa.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
If everyone had a gun, it would be oh so much fun watching the people who are fully capable use their guns against the handicapped, elderly, young, otherwise incapacitated on any level. I know a guy that lost both his arms. Wonder what he would do with his gun?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Butterbone

Well Said. I was going to reply the same until i saw you already said it. The gun is just a machine, one to hunt with for example. Either way people will find other weapons or just make their own guns and devices if they want to do harm to anyone or anything.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I own 3 guns: a shotgun, a rifle, and a handgun. I carry the handgun concealed most places I go. I have yet to pull it out or shoot anybody, and I'm pretty sure that I won't ever need to. So, there is your theory.. If everybody was carrying, nothing would change, and any change that did happen would only actually probably be for the better just for the fact that everybody knows that everybody else is carrying. If you shoot at somebody, you're almost sure to get shot at in return, etc.

And obviously, no convicted violent criminals or people with anger management/mental problems allowed to carry, ever.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
If guns are made illegal, the only people toting would be the criminals. Simple as that.
It's irresponsible people that end up killing others.
Now if you're talking a theoretical society in which guns simply didn't even exist. Then yeah...that'd be nice.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

You sir are a detestable person, you should not judge by what some people speak like. It's actually a speech pattern some Brits have.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

Your country isn't quite as densely packed as our country.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
well...look at it this way

A drug junkie is going to get high one way or another
A murder will kill one way or another
ect..

"If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"

I personally think there would be less crime and would help prevent future catastrophes
- If African Americans were armed would there have been slavery?
- If the Jews in Europe were armed would there have been a holocaust?
- If American Indians were armed would there have beens such atrocities done to these people, if they still exsist? (joke)
- Would America even be an independent nation from the England?
ect...

but im just thinking "on the other side of the coin"

It's all a matter of perspective.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You are so right, a weapon such as a gun... is the Equalizer in a situation that is significantly unfair and unequal!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by circuitsports

Lucky those vietnamese had guns i guess, got your ass kicked there !

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
I'm a big guy, and 99% of the time, that hypothetical baseball bat would be more than sufficient. I'm worried about that 1%...and if that 1% involves my family? All bets are off...and I'll take my chances with a jury. It's that simple.

That 1% chance becomes irrelevant, considering that the proliferation of guns within a society drastically increases the risk that you will be shot during your day-to-day life - either by accident or intentionally - therefore outweighing the off-chance that you'll need a gun to protect yourself from a dangerous intruder.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Why do a lot of ATS Americans fear losing their guns?

What is the big deal?

Why is your safety totally dependent on guns? Are you that useless without them? If you family was in danger...would you be completely helpless without a weapon?

Unfortunately, decades of gun culture in the US has instilled a fearful, paranoid mentality amongst many Americans, who think that there's a dangerous murderer, rapist or robber around every street corner.

Gun control won't happen overnight in the US, it will have to be a gradual, decades-long process to diminish the hoplophiliac culture within the country.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Y'know I'm coming to the conclusion that having that mindset of personal independance has led to a nation terrified of their neigbours, full of crime, social inequality, ripped of by corporations, brainwashed by their media and education system. But at least they have guns to make them feel safe. Don't tackle the underlying problems - just buy a gun.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

sorry cant help...and hope the size is ok....may need edit assist

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I know dozens of people like me. They are so much more passive when they carry their gun. They avoid confrontation at all costs. Without the gun, well everybody enjoys a good rumble now and then don't they?

Not only more passive, but in most places people carrying concealed with a CCW have a legal responsibility to not escalate, to not "flash" their weapon; they have to be able to defend their actions in the event that they discharge their firearm.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Unfortunately, decades of gun culture in the US has instilled a fearful, paranoid mentality amongst many Americans, who think that there's a dangerous murderer, rapist or robber around every street corner.

Well, if that isnt idiotic.

Must be all that bravery and confidence you have that leads you to expect an overnight bloodbath should your neighbors be allowed to have firearms then, right?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sanndy
If everyone had a gun, it would be oh so much fun watching the people who are fully capable use their guns against the handicapped, elderly, young, otherwise incapacitated on any level. I know a guy that lost both his arms. Wonder what he would do with his gun?

Armless shooter at National Games

FDA Approves Handgun for Handicapped

Where there's a will.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports

Originally posted by thedarktower maybe its because im not American and i was not brought up in a society where guns are legal

true the people who were fed up with oppression got there guns and kicked your countries ass in 1776 - they didnt hold up signs and sing songs of love because you tried that for 1,000 years and it didnt work.
edit on 19-10-2011 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

eh? think someone has watched Braveheart too much here. We Scots held up signs and sang songs of love for 1000 years? we fought the English, always outnumbered and with inferiour weapons until they got beat enough times they gave up trying to rule us. Even the Romans built a wall which part of it still stands to this day to keep us at bay cause they couldnt handle us. All without any guns

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by seagull
I'm a big guy, and 99% of the time, that hypothetical baseball bat would be more than sufficient. I'm worried about that 1%...and if that 1% involves my family? All bets are off...and I'll take my chances with a jury. It's that simple.

That 1% chance becomes irrelevant, considering that the proliferation of guns within a society drastically increases the risk that you will be shot during your day-to-day life - either by accident or intentionally - therefore outweighing the off-chance that you'll need a gun to protect yourself from a dangerous intruder.

Oh, please...

Very little of America fits the image that you seem to have of daily gunbattles or whatever it is you think goes on here.

I live in small town America, and while there is some of that here, too much of course, it's not even remotely a daily event, or even monthly. It does happen, too true, but attempting to remove guns from society, as you seem to advocate, will do little solve the problem, other than remove one of the means by which law abiding members of society, such as myself; have to defend themselves. I can not, and will not, depend upon others to do the work of defending me and mine from whatever may come along. A gun, or any other weapon, is a tool to do that with, much like a hammer, or axe. Or even that baseball bat you seem so fond of.

...and just out of curiosity, what's the difference between killing/hurting someone with a baseball bat, or doing the same with a hand gun? Dead is dead.

I don't expect you to change your mind, nor should you expect to change mine. It's at this point where I will say simply, I'm agreeing to disagree.

See ya.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join