It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

The amount of earthquakes we have had lately is crazy, what the hell is going on?

Whole lotta shakin.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Just heard on the live feed from Chile, that a huge wave did hit the Juan Fernandez archipelago, but they are awaiting more information.

Also they are saying at least 78 dead now, but considering the reports of catastrophic damage I am hearing, this is likely to go higher as they get daylight and can assess the damage better. The President has declared a state of catastrophy, not emergency.

[edit on Sat Feb 27th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by sv_gravity 800
Maybe February is the month it all starts

yeah..an when it doesnt then march will be the month it all starts...and then april...then may...you see where im goin with this

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo

Originally posted by sv_gravity 800
Maybe February is the month it all starts

yeah..an when it doesnt then march will be the month it all starts...and then april...then may...you see where im goin with this

Yep. It's always going to be like that. Predictions until the day IT HAPPENS. lol

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by InterestedParty

Something strange is going on, no lights on the shore, the ship has stopped. Me and James are sitting in the lobby in our life vests...feels like were on the titanic, no info from staff boat stopped and turned away from coast...getting worried now. Whats going on out there?

Amy x

That first line sounds like something from a movie. I can almost feel how worried that girl would be. Hope they are all okay.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
They just said "the Tsunami Warning Center" that a 40 meter wave is to large for this event. They're looking at 10-15 feet waves to hit Hawaii. He just spoke with CNN.

link   

Originally posted by InterestedParty
Just heard off a freind who is aboard a cruise ship traveling along the coast of south america that they have stopped and the ship has turned with its bow facing out to sea. they have also been instructed to put on their life preservers their very scared.....no lights on shoreline

the email they sent me >

Something strange is going on, no lights on the shore, the ship has stopped. Me and James are sitting in the lobby in our life vests...feels like were on the titanic, no info from staff boat stopped and turned away from coast...getting worried now. Whats going on out there?

Amy x

Thats scary! Did you tell them about the Earthquake and Tsunamis?

link   
U.S. agency says urgent action is required in Hawaii due to tsunami threat after #Chile quake - Reuters

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Loads has been said already so not more to say excepet 'DAMN! THIS IS HUGE!!'

Luckily it struck in a lowly populated area and not in a major City... also it's a good job that the buildings were a lot more stable than those in Haiti

ive seen alot of people saying that it hit a low populated area and so on.
but the fact is that almost the WHOLE of chile felt this.

The president said that " the catastrophy zone is
from the 5th to the 8th region", it is about the most
densly populated part of chile.

between the 5th and 8th region there are 580kms or 360.4 miles.

and the three biggest cities are in this area...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
The Sun throws Solar Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) which in turn are causing huge Solar Flares. Solar Flares (or “sparks”) are caused by the crashing together of the CMEs, which are of opposite polarity. To give you some idea of how huge these Solar Flares can be, more than a dozen Earths could fit inside of one. When such a “spark (or discharge)” occurs, charged particles are blown away from the Sun in gusty “Solar Winds”. And, they rain down on the Earth’s upper atmosphere and interact with the Earth’s magnetic field. Most of these ionized particles are absorbed and trapped within the Earth’s Van Allen radiation belts that encircle the Earth. When the Solar Winds of ionized gases are very strong and gusty, the Van Allen radiation belts are compressed deeper into the Earth’s atmosphere (i.e. they are closer to the Earth’s surface). This in turn greatly influences the frequency and intensity of Earth’s earthquake and volcanic activities. That also causes irregular and unpredictable weathers

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
#Chile's president says tsunami could hit Easter Island in an hour, evacuation under way - Reuters

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by InterestedParty

That's good and prudent action on the part of the ships' captain. Facing the ship's bow out to sea (90 deg to land) makes it possible to ride out a large wave. If it were broadside to a big wave it could founder.

It's S.O.P. (or should be) for all passengers to don life jackets in any situation where the captain believes the ship may be endangered. They clearly have a good officer in command of the ship and going from previous recorded cases of ships facing large waves, if their ship is positioned to ride out the wave then they should be okay.

Any Navy (or ex-Navy) members on here could confirm this: the captain is just doing this to protect his ship (and hence the passengers and crew).

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The Ewa (EH-vah) Beach, Hawaii-based tsunami center says the first waves are expected to arrive at 11:19 a.m. Saturday (4:19 p.m. EST).

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Jesus tap dancing Christ

I hope they have it correct this time. Thats still huge though.

link   

Originally posted by Cloro

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Loads has been said already so not more to say excepet 'DAMN! THIS IS HUGE!!'

Luckily it struck in a lowly populated area and not in a major City... also it's a good job that the buildings were a lot more stable than those in Haiti

ive seen alot of people saying that it hit a low populated area and so on.
but the fact is that almost the WHOLE of chile felt this.

The president said that " the catastrophy zone is
from the 5th to the 8th region", it is about the most
densly populated part of chile.

between the 5th and 8th region there are 580kms or 360.4 miles.

and the three biggest cities are in this area...

But i've only heard like 78 people have died.... so it obviously hasn't affected thousands........

YET!

link   
Jesus, this is bad

My thoughts are with the people of Chile at this most terrible time

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by impala67
Jesus, this is bad

My thoughts are with the people of Chile at this most terrible time

MINE TOO.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Sudden fluctuation in Kp triggers earthquakes and
tectonics

Earth directed Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) from Sun has the potential to trigger
Earthquakes and change the tectonics of the earth temporarily. The fifth state of matter
(CME) acts on the geospecific locations of the earth. This is the reason of presence of
specific earthquake regions on earth. Science on terrestrial tectonics is nowadays based
on forms of coasts, present movements of continents, palaeontology, and magnetic
minerals. Earth’s rotation, however, was no interesting factor up to now. A positive
correlation has been inferred in between rotation of the earth, sun and activities of
sun-earth environment on earthquake and tectonics of the earth. Sudden rise in Kp
values after earth directed CME triggers earthquakes. The rise in Kp values takes
place 36 hours before occurrence of earthquake. Location of sunspots are influencing
geo latitude of its mirror image on sun facing part of the earth. In hundreds of cases
it has been observed that earth directed coronal mass ejection be followed by change
in Sun-Earth magnetic field leads to remarkable changes in Earth environment. If the
Coronal mass ejection (CME) is earth directed, it may produce earthquakes if active
fault zones are in that latitude. It is possible to forecast the possibility of triggering
of earthquake by looking into the location of active sunspot before it harbors energy
towards earth.

edit: removed personal info and added quote tags

[edit on 27/2/2010 by kosmicjack]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys
The amount of earthquakes we have had lately is crazy, what the hell is going on?

Reporting has got much better, that's about all. The number of earthquakes in the world is not statistically any different than normal.

Mike: I am interested in what you were saying about the Tsunami travel. Do you think it really could be worse further away? The early reports I saw were all around the 4 ft mark!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Jesus tap dancing Christ

15ft is still just over DOUBLE a persons height, and considering it takes only a few inches to sweep someone off their feet (and potentially drown them), its still a threat to life.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join