It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
This is nuts, when I went to bed last night it was 9:30 and we were
looking at Japans 7.0. It's 4:00 in the morning now. I woke in bed
and flipped the t.v. to CNN to check out the eastern devastation.
First thing I see is Chile has been rocked by an 8.8.
Lasted 45 secs.

This is getting serious.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
For those in the US- CNN just stated that it wont be until around 5pm east coast time until we know the status of Hawaii

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This is turning quickly into a panic 2012 has come early thread, and there are far to many people posting information with out any sort proff or trusted media links to back them up & confirm the claim,

even people post reports of volcanos in chile & HUGE 120ft tsunamis even when the 1960s 9.5 magnitude chilean one course a 85ft Tsunami, so if you want to know wots going to happen try reading up on the 9.5 facts and scale down the effects.

there is no way the Tsunami wave will course any problems/deaths to any other costline in the pacific ocean apart from chile's and the,

come on guys get a grip, and post facts and stop all this paranoid talk of a huge wave all across the pacific basin its not going to happen, i have no doubt the chile people have been hit seriously hard and thats where we should concerntrait the chatter.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Wise thing to do! Just go...

No ATS victims today... Thats why we are gathered here to keep our self noticed and warned, also lightened. Hope to see ya later.

More tsunami readings from gauges in Callao, Peru and Ancud, Chile, confirming that a tsunami is traveling along the Pacific.

Easter Island under evacuation orders after tsunami warning -- Chilean President Bachelet

twitter.com...

link   
Sorry,a little to quick?

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Limton]

link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Yes, a 40-metre (120ft-plus) tsunami is not out of the question if the quake is powerful enough and of the type that causes tsunamis. The quake just off the Chilean coast occurred near a major subduction fault line. So, it’s likely that it was a subduction quake -- of the same type that caused the tsunami off Banda Aceh in December 2004.

The problem is that while crossing open ocean, the tsunami may be barely noticeable. It moves incredibly fast but as its energy is “spread” through deeper water, it can pass by ships without affecting them much. The trouble starts when it hits the shelving areas around islands or mainland. Then the energy builds the wave and can make it many metres high by the time it comes ashore.

reply to post by minkey53

You asked about the time in Hawaii versus UK time. Here, you can check the current time of major locations around the world:
www.timeanddate.com...

Honolulu is 10 hours behind GMT (aka UTC), so 11 am in Hawaii is 9 pm in the UK.

At least the people in Hawaii will have plenty of time to get to higher ground. Those on any low-lying land close to the epicenter were not so fortunate.

reply to post by xynephadyn

It’s hard to imagine, I agree. What they are referring to, though, is not actual damage (as that isn’t even known yet) but the amount of energy released:

Earthquake magnitude is a logarithmic measure of earthquake size. In simple terms, this means that at the same distance from the earthquake, the shaking will be 10 times as large during a magnitude 5 earthquake as during a magnitude 4 earthquake. The total amount of energy released by the earthquake, however, goes up by a factor of 32.

You can read more about this on the USGS site here.

Going on what they explain, a magnitude nine is about 32x32 times more powerful in terms of energy release than a mag 7. Given that the Haiti quake was actually a 7.3 and this quake is a mag 8.8, they are somewhat inflating the number, but all the same a mag 8.8 is definitely hundreds of times more powerful than a mag 7.3. And as it was a subduction event, the tsunami could be quite large.

Mike

[edit on 27/2/10 by JustMike]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

I dont think this thread is all "2012 has come early" at all! I think we all are just really concerned about the Earths most recent events and how unusual they are! Its not every year two 7.0+ earthquakes hit huge cities + the Norway Spiral within a time span of 2 months

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn

I dont think this thread is all "2012 has come early" at all! I think we all are just really concerned about the Earths most recent events and how unusual they are! Its not every year two 7.0+ earthquakes hit huge cities + the Norway Spiral within a time span of 2 months

I AGREE!!!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Agree, the Earth is always changing and changing.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Cnn says 59 dead for starters.

Ok Brit will wait til you hit panic button then we'll all lose our minds at the same time.

Just kidding not like I'm ready to start saying hail Marys yet.
Still this is rather dramatic.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The amount of earthquakes we have had lately is crazy, what the hell is going on?

link   
MSNBC is reporting the 40m wave (131 feet) as well. Gosh, that's just enormous and so difficult to fathom.

msnbc.com

link   
Nsw is on Tsunami alert, my home town of Tasmania is in the clear for now woohoo, my house there is on the coast

link   
Loads has been said already so not more to say excepet 'DAMN! THIS IS HUGE!!'

Luckily it struck in a lowly populated area and not in a major City... also it's a good job that the buildings were a lot more stable than those in Haiti

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
There's also a tsunami alert for asutralia, hawaii and other pacific islands.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Keep safe, mate. Your Old Man will naturally take notice when those in authority make an official announcement like that, like any good Digger.

In fact, he could be helpful in persuading any stubborn Cockies around the area that they need to load up the ute and get to higher ground. Maybe call the local RSL and CWA and see if they have any suggestions/needs with moving folks who can't do it on their own?

Mike

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Just heard off a freind who is aboard a cruise ship traveling along the coast of south america that they have stopped and the ship has turned with its bow facing out to sea. they have also been instructed to put on their life preservers their very scared.....no lights on shoreline

the email they sent me >

Something strange is going on, no lights on the shore, the ship has stopped. Me and James are sitting in the lobby in our life vests...feels like were on the titanic, no info from staff boat stopped and turned away from coast...getting worried now. Whats going on out there?

Amy x

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Only the tsunami has been reported in Chile, no idea for other locations. It will be a rather big wave.

CNN reprts tht th tsunami wave is DOUBLE tht of the Samoa tsunami... but it's very unclear as 2 how devastating it will be

[edit on 27-2-2010 by infinite]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Unfortunately even if the quake itself was near a lowly-populated area, the tsunami could hit many places that are homes to hundreds of thousands of people.

It all depends on how big the tsunami really is and where it goes.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by InterestedParty
Just heard off a freind who is aboard a cruise ship traveling along the coast of south america that they have stopped and the ship has turned with its bow facing out to sea. they have also been instructed to put on their life preservers their very scared.....no lights on shoreline

the email they sent me >

Something strange is going on, no lights on the shore, the ship has stopped. Me and James are sitting in the lobby in our life vests...feels like were on the titanic, no info from staff boat stopped and turned away from coast...getting worried now. Whats going on out there?

Amy x

I would flip out. It would be hard to keep calm especially on a boat.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join