It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 494
<< 491  492  493    495  496  497 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Do you have video of magma moving so i can see the difference from what we now see in your videos?. I agree the movement is tectonic faulting. There is no liquid movement but they say they monitoring for it because it could become a possibility later point.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

sorry somehow repeated my post, don't know how to delete. Shall we all have a simultaneous toast when we reach 500 pages. I don't drink, so raise whatever to got when we hit 500. I for one will not try and be that 500th post unless I got truly something to say. Maybe Shirakawa will have a video ready and we'll hang back until he posts something cool. Don't know. Just spitballling in an accidental space.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Robin Marks]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Here is a page of links for those whom are new. Enjoy

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I've made a video which illustrates, at the same playing speed I used for this Yellowstone swarm, examples of harmonic volcanic tremors (the constant medium intensity low frequency signal you can also see on the spectrogram), volcanic explosion (not eruption, the big signal), volcanic earthquakes with heightened tremors at Redoubt volcano (from last year, before it erupted).

The seismic station is very close to the summit of the volcano, but similar events occurring at Yellowstone shouldn't "sound" too different.

(I've just uploaded the video, quality might improve as time passes)

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

The harmonic tremor, am I seeing that in the lighter colour in the bottom red bar, or is on the blue lines as it thickens? Is there a relationship between these two things? I'm dumbing it down as much as possible to help everyone, I know that's the way I learn, ask the dumb question and then build on what you learn. Just explain it to me like I'm in grade 5.
I've already thanked ya, and hope you got something ready for page 500.

Your stuff makes me actually feel the events.

At this moment we've gone awhile with a another "big" one. The next series of 2+ should tell the story. If we don't get another "big" pop, we could be on the backend of the event. The quake that caused so much confusion was possibly the main event.

Dear sickofitall2012,
Oh that moment at :36 was a volcanic explosion (not eruption as he note)

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

WTH was that at 0:36????
You are spoiling me with these videos. They are the coolest/creepiest thing I have ever heard ! I can't get enough!!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Both charts represent the same thing. The upper one is the waveform chart (basically the same as webicorders), the bottom one is the spectrum of the chart, the spectrograph, where you can see the signal frequencies (vertical position on the chart) and amplitude (color).

Harmonic tremors are constantly there from the start to the end to the video, and they're the constant signals of specific very low frequencies (you can see two almost always constant streaks/lines since the beginning) moving magma resonates in its conduits and generates these signals.

Volcanic earthquakes are earthquakes associated with a sudden change in magma movement inside the volcano, and generate bursts of spasmodic tremors, irregular increased low frequency seismicity. You can see that clearly because the amplitude (color) of the tremor signals changes immediately as a consequence of certain earthquakes.

The big saturated (all white) signal is an explosion probably caused by steam/water overheating by magma/high rock temperature.

Anyway, this is the Yellowstone thread, I don't want to extend too much this offtopic.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You were completly on topic. Someone here will always say they think they've seen harmonic tremor on the webicorders. Lots of those here want to understand them and this was illustrative.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

You're right that it's useful to explain better what tremors are, but I've seen people complaining that this thread gets often too much "dispersive".

By the way, as I'm writing, an earthquake big enough to be listed in the USGS 2.5+ world EQ list occurred.

Also I have to acknowledge that the UUSS staff is now working steadily to add earthquakes to their official Yellowstone recent EQ list, and at the moment 126 are listed.

[edit on 2010-1-20 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Dear Dear Shirakawa,

I sure you remember my strange request to check if there was a tiny earthquake at 1:41 UTC Jan 17, and you found a small quake registered at 1:51 UTC in the same area as the swarm. .

Could you please check if there was a similiar sized earthquake just two hours before the swarm at 18:07 UTC Jan 17, around YMR? Please Please Please. And if you would be so kind, could you tell me how many quakes happened between 1:51 - 18:07 ?

Were the two quakes in the same place?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
Could you please check if there was a similiar sized earthquake just two hours before the swarm at 18:07 UTC Jan 17, around YMR?

theinterveners.org...
Yes, It's visible here and on nearby webicorders. It's a very small earthquake.

Please Please Please. And if you would be so kind, could you tell me how many quakes happened between 1:51 - 18:07 ?

I'm not sure, probably 3-5 extremely small earthquakes, they'd have negative magnitude if counted.

Were the two quakes in the same place?

I'm unable to check that, sorry.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Another significant earthquake just occurred. It won't stop!

2.9 2010/01/20 14:43:01 44.576N 110.977W 10.6 14 km ( 9 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

THIS is exciting to watch but I honestly want it to tone down and fade away.

Thanks for looking at those micro-micro quakes. In this swarm I see a definate pattern.

They've posted quakes from the 15th and 16th.

Please tell me if there's nothing curious about the sequence of events.

On the 15th two hours after new moon we have 3 quakes for Friday evenly spaced throughout the day.

Saturday there are ten, They stop suddenly just an hour before the moon is at apogee. Ten seconds after apogee, there is one tiny quake and virtually nothing for almost 20 hours. I checked the list and there's a giant gap of nearly 20 hours. Why? I think I know why but will resist.

Just before the start of the swarm, there is another one of these micromicro quakes and then shortly afterward the swarm starts in full flurry, and as you say, it's still going strong.

You find nothing curious about this sequence of events. All times are correct and according to the lunar cycle. You really really think this is just a coincidence. The swarm started Friday, it seems to be winding up on Saturday, then it stopped dead, and held it's breath for twenty hours before exhaling and setting off the chain reaction. Call it the calm before the storm- whatever. For some reason the whole show put on hold for some reason. I can't believe none this is credible to you. The moon squeezes the whole planet. Actually I think those 20hours we were in an equilibrium between the sun and the moon. We were floating in space as opposed to being pull by one or the other.
Something happen from Jan. 17 1:41 UTC until 18:07 UTC. Something as yet unexplained, but nonetheless recorded here. A gravitional transference.
So I wouldn't go on and on, but the information supports the timing. And I'm on topic.

I've had enough fun now. I wish the quakes would slow down and go away now.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov... This may have already been posted. It's a 2.9.

This is even odder. This fault hasn't acted up in a long time. I was even reading an article where they predicted a big quake for around there in the near future. It's a 3.3 in Arkansas. earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
And for those that were wondering about Old Faithful, I've been watching some of them. They're on schedule and seem normal.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Hi! New here, but wanted to throw out there that I'm noticing harmonic tremors on the latest seismo update from the UUSS location at Madison River:
quake.utah.edu...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
A few charts I made:

reply to post by Buidhe

Harmonic tremors aren't occurring at the moment. The signals you're mistaking for that are either human activity (of which YMR is much affected), wind or distant earthquakes.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I'm not trying to start a war, however I doubt the "human activity" or "wind" at YMR would affect the seismo at Barton Gulch, MT at the same times also:

mbmgquake.mtech.edu...

I'm pretty sure the ones at 4:11-15; 9:45-50; 11:41-45 are short duration harmonics confirmed by the BG-MT, as well as the one at 16:13-45 (with a couple 'burps' between) - though I cannot confirm with Barton Gulch as the seismo was down at that time.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Where is your home city?
Are you near YS?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Buidhe

If you're talking about those, they're signals from strong distant earthquakes (teleseisms). They will appear in the same place on all regional webicorders in a way or another.

reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I'm not near Yellowstone, and even if it erupted it probably would not affect me, at least by its immediate direct effects.

[edit on 2010-1-20 by Shirakawa]

top topics

<< 491  492  493    495  496  497 >>

join