It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 493
<< 490  491  492    494  495  496 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
On that video, the low rumble at min 4.08 - 4.10 is interesting.. sounds like magma filling a hollow pocket or maybe hot gasses compressing..

With the 6.1 in Haiti just an hour or so ago, and everything else waking up around the world (EQ wise) it seems the 2004 event set off the entire worlds plates... beginning with the Pacific plate, and that energy is now hitting the the North American plate, Coco's (not the Conan plate hehe) and Nazca plates.. all that pressure is transferring over.. and some of that stress hit the Caribbean plate.

I have a bad feeling we are going to see much more before it subsides.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kellys

It was an error, so it's been corrected to magnitude 0.8.
No cover-up here: look at the webicorder, there is no such big EQ.

reply to post by Pharyax

That sound is from a strong distant earthquake (they result in low frequency double percussive sounds), no magma movement involved.

[edit on 2010-1-20 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

lol - No tin foil hat on today

I was just relaying what I saw on this site. This is all new to me and has totally fascinated me - trying to understand some of it is giving me a headache

The information you are giving out is totally amazing btw and I'm really grateful, along with the others that have already mentioned your efforts.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
A bit off topic but earthquakes nonetheless.. I'm sure I read somewhere that extreme precipitation can affect the geology/fault lines or whatever and noticed 3 quakes of 2.5 reported on eQuake for the San Fran/Los Angeles region in last 2 hours and they're having quite a lot of rain, aren't they? Is there a connection?

Well here's one article which reports on researchers who've found rain does promote earthquakes. In the story there is even mention of tides. One day reseachers will discover that the lunar cycled casued this swarm, just like I said it would. Rain, tides, moon, sun, and the earth itself are parts of a machine all connected to the other parts, directly or indirectly.

www.physorg.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by RickinVa

so 1:35 should be 1:35 AM? Since it says the 20th. and it is still the 19th. so not actual.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

here is a link that shows you the conversion chart from zulu or GMT to your local time:

hurricanes.noaa.gov...

going by the chart, for instance...01:35 would be 9:35pm EDT...eastern daylight savings time.

0000 starts a new radio day (raday). This is done so that no matter where in the world you are, if you use GMT or Zulu time everyone is on the same clock.

It gets confusing until you get used to it, then it makes perfect sense.

In the military, it would have been written as 01:35z.... the z denoting Zulu time, so that everyone involved would be able to convert it to their local time.

hope that helps

[edit on 20-1-2010 by RickinVa]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Thanks Shirakawa,

Your video made it clear for me. I couldn't shake the thought that that "4.0" was being noted as two so manitudes would appear lower. But your video makes it clear there was three quick movements. The webicorders are a crude and it makes it hard to decipher. They seem to have fixed YPK, it was a real mess.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Last official count of earthquakes 469 as of yesterday.

No doubt we've seen 500 by now.

How many earthquakes does the most recent map show

Where's the other 430 earthquakes. Policy prior to Feb. 2009, all quakes were immediately posted as was the case during last year's swarm. As testified by Shirakawa, he/she said that before that swarm, earthquakes were even posted on weekends. The USGS has changed it's policy. And have posted no notice, and not even removed the statement that maps are upadate once every five minutes or once an hour.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Robin Marks]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Kellys

Wow, this link you gave is just amazing

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Checking back in to the forum after a nice year away with no swarms. I'm from Casper, Wy. which is about 300-350 miles away from Yellowstone. I contributed a bunch of un-educated conjecture last year, this time I Think I"ll just sit back and watch Shirakawa do his magic.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by shakespear1

If you go into the Yellowstone archive here on ATS, you will find a post that has many more cool links all on one page.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Is the most of the activity indeed at a rim location?
Ive purchased emergency supplies now , so the activity should taper off ('
')

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Shirakawa, is the GPS station P680 there nearest monitor to the epicenter of the swarm?

If so on the GPS graph, is it showing a trend at the moment and it doesn't seem exactly current. What can you do to illustrate for those tuning in.

I'm so glad so many of you have come back to join the party. Grab and chair and sit back and relax. They'll be lots more shaking. But I think the big yesterday may have been the main event. Today may determine the future trend.

Stars for everyone.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Yes, but I don't think you should worry at all yet.

reply to post by Robin Marks

P680 and P711 seem to share about the same distance from the currently occurring earthquakes.

Here are their ground deformation charts:
quake.wr.usgs.gov...
quake.wr.usgs.gov...

As far as I know, they're not updated daily and anyway, you shouldn't expect sudden changes in deformation trends. Try checking them again in 2-3 weeks of time.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Wow, that was so freakin creepy!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what gave me the chills more, the loud popping or the low rumbles.
Thank you so much for posting that. Will you do more of those for us?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
i've have a feeling it wo'nt slow douwn...

the 2 regulair uplifts rised very quick last 6 years.. now it has stopt..

my guess is that the pressure of the soil above it is to big for the magmachamber to refill ......and it finded now a weaker spot to release the pressure underneath...

nevertheless.... magma is still rising up quicker ....and with that amount of force a small trigger could be setting things up....

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

Yes, I will do more if the swarm will continue; in fact I will make another video in 6-7 hours when seismic waveform data for 2009-01-20 (UTC) will be complete.

In a few days I also plan to make some earthquake position animations as seismologists start to populate their databases with occurred earthquakes.

By the way, this is my updated cumulated seismic energy chart for this swarm:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Magma is NOT rising... yet.

Shallow movement of magma leaves a very recognizable constant trace on seismic waveforms (mostly evident in spectrograms, of which you may have seen an example in my "earthquake sounds" video ... the bottom colored chart). Such traces are missing from current waveforms. Like the University of Utah stated, these earthquakes are, as of now, of tectonic origin and there's no indication that the volcano could potentially erupt anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Oh I am not worried in the least. I live in Wisconsin. There would be plenty of time to react if needed. I love this stuff.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa
reply to post by ressiv

Magma is NOT rising... yet.

Shallow movement of magma leaves a very recognizable constant trace on seismic waveforms (mostly evident in spectrograms, of which you may have seen an example in my "earthquake sounds" video ... the bottom colored chart). Such traces are missing from current waveforms. Like the University of Utah stated, these earthquakes are, as of now, of tectonic origin and there's no indication that the volcano could potentially erupt anytime soon.

Wouldn't an indication of moving magma be a sustained harmonic tremor?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

That would be one of the main signs.
Harmonic tremors haven't occurred, though.

top topics

<< 490  491  492    494  495  496 >>

join