It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 492
<< 489  490  491    493  494  495 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

Very noticiable on
The Promontory, WY (YTP)
Mirror Lake Plateau, WY (YMP)
Mary Lake, WY (YML)
Maple Creek, WY (YMC)
Madison River, WY (YMR)

www.isthisthingon.org...

I'm a little confused why Madison River (YMR) seems to show so much more activity ?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
How is the time determined when the quake actually happens, and why is it not in us time. the last quake states 1:35 and it says the 20th.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
it goes my GMT... Greenwich Mean Time...or Zulu time if you are military...

it does list the local time though

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I think the long rumbly things are just noise from the park, they don't show up on the other webicorders, and I think I remember from last year that YMR is near a road.

As for all the little quakes on the YMR webicorder, you can see them on the others although they are very small due to low magnitude/distance.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Here's some info with a familiar name in there, but it looks like it's getting outdated quickly-

scienceblogs.com...

The audio sounds like rock breaking up.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Shirawaka posted this audio file recently on this thread
it's awesome.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RickinVa

so 1:35 should be 1:35 AM? Since it says the 20th. and it is still the 19th. so not actual.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
A 2.6 just then...

Date-Time

* Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 04:12:28 UTC
* Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 09:12:28 PM at epicenter

Location 44.567°N, 110.974°W
Depth 11.3 km (7.0 miles)
Region YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
Distances

* 15 km (9 miles) SE (135°) from West Yellowstone, MT
* 30 km (19 miles) ENE (75°) from Island Park, ID
* 56 km (35 miles) SSW (202°) from Gardiner, MT
* 431 km (268 miles) N (10°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.4 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 0.9 km (0.6 miles)
Parameters NST= 18, Nph= 18, Dmin=26 km, Rmss=0.14 sec, Gp=126°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=0
Source

* University of Utah Seismograph Stations

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Another 2.6, surprised it hasn't been revised yet. When I saw it come in over GEE it looked like a foreshock, mainshock, and a bunch of little aftershocks all within a few seconds.

Edited to remove duplicate content.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by quakewatcher]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Another quake in yellowstone

3.4 Magnitude

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Date-Time

* Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 04:41:03 UTC
* Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 09:41:03 PM at epicenter

Location 44.571°N, 110.969°W
Depth 8.7 km (5.4 miles)
Region YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
Distances

* 15 km (9 miles) SE (133°) from West Yellowstone, MT
* 30 km (19 miles) ENE (75°) from Island Park, ID
* 56 km (35 miles) SSW (201°) from Gardiner, MT
* 431 km (268 miles) N (10°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.5 km (0.3 miles); depth +/- 0.9 km (0.6 miles)
Parameters NST= 40, Nph= 40, Dmin=11 km, Rmss=0.35 sec, Gp= 86°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=2

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

Hi Thought Provoker...I'm relatively new to ATS, so I apologize if this has already been posted. I came across this article in Science Daily that has a 3D map of the magma chamber. I couldn't find more detail on Utah's website, but maybe you'll have more luck.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Also someone on scenceblogs claims seems to have created a program that will model he quake in 3D. I don't know if it works, as I can't test it, but the idea seems very cool.

scienceblogs.com...
see comment by Benjamin Franz...

P.S - A huge thanks to everyone on this thread. I'm learning a great deal from your insight & analysis!!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MolecularPhD
Dear: Writer

I too have been following the USGS live seismic activity of Yellowstone Park and the Lake in which you speak of for the past six years or so. The activity that seems to be centralized in the lake has become more active in the past few months. It is in my opinion that Yellowstone’s Eruption will be the precursor to the massive Polar Shift of the planet.

I have spoken with several fellow scientists about this location for many years and have followed its activities. According to my friend in the USGS anything within six hundred and fifty miles of the epicenter of the Eruption will be obliterated. The Pyroclastic flow could reach as far as two hundred thirty to two hundred and fifty miles of the park. Everything within one thousand miles of the park would be covered in several feet of ash and debris and be rained on by lysergic acid diethylamide.

The cloud carrying this acid depending on wind currents could carry this debris as far as NY or even Russia. These are a few things to think about before living to close to this Super Massive Caldera.

Good luck with your studies, I hope we are all round for you to use the knowledge.

Sincerely

TheGhost

Did anybody besides me catch that this guy said yellowstone will unleash a cloud of '___'???

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hooptie333

So at first I thought you were being snide and I was going to be like come on man! Then I saw what you meant and hit up google.

lysergic acid diethylamide - wiki says its lsd the drug.

nice catch, star for you.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by IWant2Believe323
reply to post by Thought Provoker

Hi Thought Provoker...I'm relatively new to ATS, so I apologize if this has already been posted. I came across this article in Science Daily that has a 3D map of the magma chamber.

I found one (many) with a simple web search. I just hadn't looked before. Now that I've seen it... I mean, that thing has many times the surface area of the whole park, and is hundreds of miles tall. I can't even imagine why half of Idaho hasn't already fallen into it. So, to conclude my previous post, these quakes seem to be occurring somewhere near the *roof* of the magma chamber. All that pressure is eating away at the ceiling, melting big chunks off bit by bit; no telling when it'll give way. But that's why we watch it unblinkingly. You know those Old West gun duels, the ones quick-drawing was a required skill for your survival thereof? That's what it's going to be like when this thing blows: a slow-motion gun duel, a draw and bang with virtually no time between them for us to get out of the way. Except, we can't draw first. There's nowhere to dodge to. We don't even have a gun. We can only watch... am I being too melodramatic?

Also someone on scenceblogs claims seems to have created a program that will model he quake in 3D.

Already got one of those, wrote it myself. All it requires is GoogleEarth and a URL to enter into it as a new network link address. Or this KML file can be imported to create the net link entry for you. With no parameters, it'll show you the last week of quakes. Any time range can be viewed by using the form on this page to set the date and submitting it, then click the GoogleEarth link above the form to open it up. Go on, it's fun.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
that would be pretty sweet if it did erupt and released abunch of lsd oh the places we would go

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
A bit off topic but earthquakes nonetheless.. I'm sure I read somewhere that extreme precipitation can affect the geology/fault lines or whatever and noticed 3 quakes of 2.5 reported on eQuake for the San Fran/Los Angeles region in last 2 hours and they're having quite a lot of rain, aren't they? Is there a connection?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yes, it's possible.

Water can lubricate faults and therefore cause or increase existing seismicity, usually by a low additional amount though. Please keep in mind that bad weather doesn't necessarily result in more earthquakes. This could just be a coincidence.

[edit on 2010-1-20 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I made a video of the next 24 hours of seismicity turned into sound (2009-01-19):

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Another 3.1 hit @ 20.01.2010 - 11:09:25 3.1

Watching the activity going on at Yellowstone (thousands of miles from me) is starting to become a slight obsession! Think it's time to go and get a coffee

<< 489  490  491    493  494  495 >>

join